Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Mod folders and editing  (Read 2486 times)

Offline FritzDaKat

• Members
Mod folders and editing
« on: 28 Mar 2008, 16:23:23 »
Probably a really simple solution, but it seems when using modfolders I cant get the maps, objects and such to appear in the editor. Do they need a modfolder located within the missions folder on the user profile path, or should I just continue to drop them straight into the stock ArmA\Addons folder (I'd guess no on that).

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Mod folders and editing
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2008, 16:39:08 »
Here's a BIKI Article on modfolders that should tell you everything you need to know :)  It's for OFP, but it works just the same in ArmA.  :good: (most usual error : forgetting to add the Addons subfolder inside the main @modfolder)

If it's still not working, it might be due to addon incompatibility, in which case the only solution is going through each addon individually until the ones that don't work together are found. :)

G'luck!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline FritzDaKat

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2008, 18:40:28 »

If it's still not working, it might be due to addon incompatibility, in which case the only solution is going through each addon individually until the ones that don't work together are found. :)

Well I have the modfolders set up right. Guess it could be an incompatibility issue, but I always assumed that would either display an error or cause a CTD. Yet they all play nice-nice with one another from within the default arma\addons folder and show in the editor.  (Actually, mabey I should pull the addons from addons as they've been there since 1.07. Perhaps there was a fix by 1.11?

EDIT: Nope, but what did fix it was switching \@""\addons folder to \@""\Addons  ... Meh, case sensitivity...
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2008, 21:36:09 by FritzDaKat »

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2008, 16:33:33 »
Ummm ... case sensitive? .... thats a little surprising!
What OS are you using? XP or Vista 32 / 64 ?

Personally I have my Mod folders all under my main ArmA directory, start them all with @
@Islands
@Air
@Heli
@Weapons
@Civi
@crCTI

etc
If I want to test an addon, I just dump it in the respective folder. Creates less issues later when you want to play online, no mixing of files.

The other more important bit, I also use Kegetys ArmA Launcher .... makes life very simple.

Offline FritzDaKat

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr 2008, 05:53:15 »
Ummm ... case sensitive? .... thats a little surprising!
What OS are you using? XP or Vista 32 / 64 ?

Personally I have my Mod folders all under my main ArmA directory, start them all with @

Vista Home Basic (32bit)

My mod folders are set up the same,   X:\Program Files\ArmA\@""\Addons\*.pbo

Initially it was  X:\Program Files\ArmA\@""\addons\*.pbo

Short of QG and patches 1.07 thru 1.11 nothing's changed and I dont recall anything in the patches changelogs about handling addon folders so all I can assume is the mod folders "Addons" subfolder is case sensitive for some insane reason.

And seemingly its not due to incompatibility as they all worked well together from within ArmAs addons folder before the mod folders started working, and to be sure, I ran thru them individually in the editor just to be sure I hadn't been lacking any objects previously.
 If it is a Vista quirk it's luckily the only one I've been nailed by to date short of overall game performance issues across the board due to what I've come to assume are the changes in how Vista handles video processing beyond the card.

But it works fine now and thats the important thing, back to the editor.  :D

Offline Callaghan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2008, 15:27:08 »
What you're saying is quite confusing. What is the target line in the shortcut you use to launch arma?
Remember to never put addons in the default ArmA/Addons folder. They will work but it gets very confusing after a while and you will end up reinstalling.
the target line should end something like (where beta.exe is the name of the exe you are running.)
Code: [Select]
/beta.exe -mod = DBE1;@coremod;@extrasmod;@anyothermod

Offline FritzDaKat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2008, 20:54:55 »
That is how the target path was set, did it all just like the old OFP way initially, but for some oddball reason it didnt work. It makes no sense to me either why a lowercase a in the modfolders addons folder would throw a wrench in the works. But let's not forget two important factors here. #1 Arma, #2 Vista Home Basic. LoL
 And again, the issue started on an out-of-the-atari-box install, no patches. I saw the modfolder method not working properly and just used the stock addon folder. After starting this thread I realised I was now 1.11 compliant so I tried using modfolders again, now it all works fine. mabey it was case sensitivity, mabey it was a stock install v.s. Vista issue? I dunno. Works now. But if someone running Vista and a stock / off-the-shelf install is having trouble with their modfolders working then they'll know that patching to 1.11 might fix their problem.

But sorting out new addons from the stock addons folder isnt too terribly tricky as long as you sort by creation date (Provided you didnt reinstall and replace all your favorite addons the same day. I've been lucky, it installed right the first time and it's been running "fine" ever since aside from the addon quirk)

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #7 on: 06 Apr 2008, 07:05:15 »
Well, good to hear, but hey, as to the reason why ..... we'll just say ".... its Windows" lol :)