Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: basic fort idea  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Bracks

• Members
basic fort idea
« on: 21 Dec 2007, 03:30:56 »
hi,
After I saw Seven's OPEC template entry I was thinking how fun a swim onto fort type coop mission would be.  Sadly with Seven's, the AI didn't move much at all.  So I began making a very basic fort type thing, trying to keep it as simple as possible, so that AI could move easily on it.

I was just making things up as I went, but the idea was to just have a basic walled in area, with a cannon room on each corner, a lighthouse at the front and a jetty area at the back. 
I am just still a newb at most things, so everything is very basic.  Also the tilable textures are very repetitive because I tried to keep it all on the one texture.  Because of armas geo limit I also had to split it up into about 12 bits. 

After I had finished a basic job at modeling/uv mapped and "textured" (don't know if its even called that when you simply get textures from ://mayang.com/textures/ and make them tilable) and all the geometrys exept for paths I put it ingame and started placing things on it.  The idea was to lay everything down, then create the AI paths around that so that they could move about well.  Mainly I just threw bits from Sevens template on. In the end it kinda looked more stupid than I had orginally thought it would with objects on it.  :whistle:

Anyway, that was awhile ago and I gave up on it.. but now I figure I will have another go...
And now comes the reason for this topic,
Does anyone please have any suggestions on things I can add, whether they be objects from editor 102 or new models (need to be pretty simple though as am still learning  :)) which you think would make the mission better?

The main thing that bothers me is that, it seems really empty and that it wont provide much "sneaking" opportunities, which was the whole idea of the mission.  Though, I am unsure of what kind of objects to add in.

The basic mission idea is that you need to sneak aboard to disable the light house or something along those lines.  To add atmostphere, it will have a Mando storm roaring in the back ground, SLA defending will be using Wolfrugs voices and the cannons are firing every now and again.
I will have an alarm system, which the gaurds will head for if they detect you.  Most of the gaurds will be sleeping, but if the alarm goes off they will run for their guns and start running all over the place.  Optional objectives will include things like knocking out all the cannon crews, finding enemy codes (in main building) ect.
Hope thats enough for people to get the basic gist of the idea and perhaps someone could help out by adding some ideas (to either the mission idea or anything about the fort)

Here is some pictures I took awhile ago of things unfinished.  The mipmap issue (white border textures) problem I solved, as it was just bad UV mapping.  The models are still unfinished so any suggestions on them are welcome as I said before.  Just remember that the first goal is AI movement:)

Some bits ingame, as said before the mipmapping issue is solved now.

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 04:01:53 by Bracks »

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: basic fort idea
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2007, 10:27:33 »
That is pretty darned cool! Especially if you by some amazing feat of skill manage to get the AI to move around in it :D In my experience it's sadly never all that easy...but maybe if you put a lot of those path-things into the buildings that the AI can take (like in certain houses), that could make for a pretty interesting experience...

Good luck!  :good: If you need any help with the mission-making part of it, just post over at the General forums, yeah?

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2007, 21:50:24 »
Cool! As for objects, you might want to add barracks, sheds, barns and barrels. Maybe even an ammo building in the center (with the same type of walls as the outer ones?).

By the way, do you think that the AI will be able to walk around in that base?
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Bracks

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2007, 22:19:25 »
Thanks for the ideas guys, will put them on my list to add next.

I think they should be able to, because currently they are able to follow you in compact column around all the buildings and they also follow a simple back and forth cycle waypoint without much trouble, and this is without any paths, just a roadway geo.   However i have never done AI paths before so i'm not sure of there capabilities.