Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Sahrani Run V2.0 - An Epic Mission  (Read 13074 times)

Offline louiscar

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP] The Sahrani Run - Mega Mission - Please beta test
« Reply #45 on: 02 Oct 2007, 01:42:27 »
Hi Arkons,

I've discovered something that might explain a number of problems this mission has been having. It appears to relate to the ARMA so called "save bug".

This is what I found.

I finished playing the other night and today when I went back to the mission, ie. load arma and hit "RESUME" I got an error:

"Value/" is not a class {"oid" accessed}

I've seen this a couple of times before but not realised how it affected the game till now.

Firstly the nature of the error I believe could be anything, the problem is that some variables get lost and the consequences were pretty dire and could affect the whole mission from there on.

In my case these are the things that were affected.

1) My health was perfect where I had some damage when the exit save was performed.

2) I could no longer delete any of the actions that were installed to do with briefings etc. Eg. Saltzman's briefing.

3) I had a health pack present whereas this wouldn't be on the action menu unless I was damaged. Clearly this was the case but my health after this error was perfect. Unable to use the health pack, nothing happens. It should use the health pack regardless of whether you are damaged or not.

NOW WHAT I'VE DISCOVERED.

Firstly this should be referred to as a "LOAD" bug and not a "SAVE" bug because I've established that there is nothing wrong with the saved files. That includes all three types of saved files : the autosave, the exit save and the manual save.

The culprit turns out to be the RESUME. This error only happened when resuming. After a resume hitting esc and then either loading my manual save or selecting RETRY loaded the save game without any error.

After which everything was hunky dory. I believe that this bug dropping info / variables or states when loading could cause a plethora of untraceable problems and would certainly explain why some people have not had problems that others have had.

It is IMPORTANT therefore to observe this restart method as once you continue the mission and save or autosave you will permanently affect everything from thereon.

Hope this helps, I've by no means gone into this or any other variations that may happen exhaustively but this is certainly the solution for when those resume errors come up after a load. There could easily be other factors hiding in the bushes ... so to speak. 
VISTA - Doesn't trust you
http://badvista.fsf.org/

Offline Arkon

• Members
Re: [SP] The Sahrani Run - Mega Mission - Please beta test
« Reply #46 on: 08 Oct 2007, 22:45:23 »

Hi louiscar,

Thanks for that comprehensive analysis  :)

Could probably do with a thread of its own.

Regards

Arkon2

Offline louiscar

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP] The Sahrani Run - Mega Campaign/Mission - Please Review
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jan 2008, 00:10:35 »
I've not tried 1.09 beta. I wonder if this has been fixed?

The problem is interesting as it can be repeated, I was wondering if the campaign with a save file for part 2 could be passed on to one of the programmers. It would be good to get an answer as to why this is happening. Your mission is the biggest I've seen but then this shouldn't be a limitation.

:good:
VISTA - Doesn't trust you
http://badvista.fsf.org/

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] The Sahrani Run V2.0 - An Epic Mission (REJECTED)
« Reply #48 on: 18 Feb 2008, 16:27:45 »
A brief Missions Depot Staff discussion produced a rejection of this mission.

Due to:
- Failing load system
- Multiple smalls bugs

Please take a look into these issues.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #49 on: 18 Feb 2008, 18:45:48 »
HI Cheetah

Thanks for posting -

Are you referring to the campaign version or the missions version.

Failing load system
Do you mean when reloading a saved game or what??
If so did you read the readme?
If so you will see that this is a BIS problem!! and we published a workaround.

Multiple smalls bugs
Can you not point out these Multiple smalls bugs as it is most unhelpful to generalize in this fashion
especially as this game has gone through at least 1000 test hours and has been tested by at least 100
different people on various forums... and 6 people locally. If we did not think the game was playable we would not have
made it available for review.

We have had a great many complements for the Sahrani Run and therefore are somewhat puzzled by your junction.

We appreciate that Sahrani Run is an ambitious attempt but believe that the Armed Assault deserved the try.

This took me (and 3 others) 1500 work hrs to produce so i would appreciate something a bit more substantial
than the 2 liner supplied....

Thank you

Regards

Arkon2
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2008, 19:55:24 by Arkon »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #50 on: 05 Apr 2008, 13:31:25 »
Review completed.

Feel free to open the after-review discussion.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 12:40:19 by Cheetah »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!