Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Lots of interesting voices.  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Lots of interesting voices.
« on: 06 Mar 2007, 00:35:07 »
I'm aware this is not quite a resource - yet - but maybe with a little bit of work it could be. Basically, I've been messing around with the sounds.pbo in the ArmA addons folder, unpacked it with cpbo and took a look inside.  Most of the files in there are encoded .wss format, thus rather useless (and besides just a lot of general environment sound), but when I went to the missions folder, I found a bunch of voices, in .ogg format with ready-made lip synchs and all for several different people (Brian, Dan, Dusan etc) plus a lot of generic official campaign-related chatter. Semi-useful as this is, the best I found was when I went into the individual people's folders, and started listening to the voice clips there. Radio and normal "shouting" voices, Faaaar more immersive and believable than the robotic-sounding "All, Flank, LEFT!" or "Two, Engage, That, OFFICER" sound files for a lot of different situations - flanking, taking cover, attacking, cursing, fire in the hole, etc. Exactly the kind of thing needed to make the enemy, and friendly, forces seem more alive - take the ECP mod as a shining example of this, with your own units and the enemy providing believable battle chatter (from the shouts of "Grenade!" to "Enemy armor!") that really improved immersion by cartloads. Check them out, many nice clips in there. Also some less-than-politically-correct words used. ;)

Anyway, since sound-editing is not my thing, I was wondering if anyone here's figured out a way to get to them, without having to individually unPBO, remove, make description.exts, and add to each mission we make? Seeing as they're all THERE, they're just not being USED, it'd be absolutely rad if someone figured out some nice way to access 'em directly from a script or somesuch.

And, if not, at least you're now aware of these voices being there, in case you want to use them for some of your missions.  :cool2:

Will be experimenting some more with these in the future. Yus.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline SaBrE

• Members
  • I was once a Llama
    • www.Armed-Assault-Zone.com
Re: Lots of interesting voices.
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2007, 21:40:52 »
Sounds great- someone please have a good go at this! If we could include such things in as a script replacing every robotic voice it'd be great.
Can you HELP?

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2007, 18:12:04 »
Hey people!

This sounds very cool. Only having a few guys around screaming "MEDIC!" or "I'm bleeding!" is enough to make a mission interesting.
I have checked the Sounds.pbo myself and it is really neat. I have made a list of what the sound files say. I'll attach the list file to this post.

Now, I'm not a genius when it comes to this type of thing but I'll sure give it a shot and try to figure out how to easily use these sound and
lip files in user's missions.

If anyone wants to join and help this cause, it would be a great plus for the community.

Jason
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 15:46:02 by hoz »
Back to the forest!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2007, 18:21:21 »
Or check this?
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2007, 21:35:54 »
Oh! ...  :whistle:

Cool! Much much better! Thanx Cheetah.  :)
Back to the forest!

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2007, 16:49:40 »
These two topis should be merged. There is useful info on both pages.
The information that all the samples can be found in each individual's name folder, and the inclusion of the ArmA names list.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Dobermann

• Members
  • Ready to disturb you anytime
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2007, 14:27:51 »
Code: [Select]

class voice1
{
name = "voice1";
sound[] = {"\ca\voice\alan\actions\activatebomb.wss", db+1, 1.0};
titles[] =
{
};
};
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2007, 14:30:00 by Dobermann »

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2007, 16:16:49 »
Brilliant... thank you!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2007, 13:24:16 »
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Ae0n

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 02 Aug 2007, 20:06:47 »
Too bad you still have to go through the description ext [...] It'd fill up the voice section when selecting effects in triggers/waypoints, but at least for normal says and playsounds
Yes you could by using an addon  (CfgSounds)
I think myself to make it some time ago, but I gave up. Reasons : it would impose a third addon dependence to your mission/campaign :confused: while this could be done (write a description.ext) by vanilia game without addon.
And you've pointed the second point : naming convention. Try to condensate through keyword this very first one : "M01r01   Echo this is Crossroad, the convoy is approaching eliminate as many infantry as you can and disappear. Over and out."...
...finally result may override the "Effects" windows with such text strings *

*Unless you insert just interjections,short orders/sentence such :
UNIV_r30 to UNIV_r40
UNIV_v01 to UNIV_v65
-> Thanks to Cheetah
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2007, 20:45:33 by Ae0n »