Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Scripting School  (Read 3828 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re: Scripting School
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2006, 14:52:22 »
Nixer6, scripting should not be considered in isolation.   :no:   You end up writing convoluted scripts to do something that can be achieved with a simple trigger or waypoint, or better unit placement, or more playtesting, or ....

If you wish to consider the OFP scripting language as something worthy of intellectual study in its own right, then all you really need is the comref - it's all in there.   :yes:   

My Beginner's tute lists several scripting tutorials.   ;)  I also recommend that you read the comref from start to finish, like a book.   Don't get bogged down trying to understand every command, just get a feel for what's in there.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2006, 21:06:31 »
Nixer6, scripting should not be considered in isolation.      You end up writing convoluted scripts to do something that can be achieved with a simple trigger or waypoint, or better unit placement, or more playtesting, or ....

Excellent point. Thanks for that.

I brought this "scripting School" up as I started making fun missions to practice up for Armd Assault.

I personally learned alot about scripting from

1. SnYpir's Collections, especially disecting his support pack

2. Naqual's BAS missions

3. A couple of others including Skumball, for his OnMapSingleClick stuff.

It's still hard for me....but like I said, I'm Old 

I've got alot of the "old" references form here and other places. If you are missing anything let me know. I might have it.  :good:
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2006, 23:38:42 »
Thanks for the offer Nixer6.    We still have a lot of stuff to sift throught that was recovered in one way or another.    When we get to the end of that we'll see where we stand.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play