Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: extra effects  (Read 3557 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
extra effects
« on: 23 Dec 2005, 22:18:32 »
hey guys im just wondering for my campaign this is when i release it i would like a big release thing with a nice long high quality video and im thnking of making different version of the campaign all with the same missions but different effects ;
one version

- Addon free (apart from editor102)
- Tracer effects (need help on chosing the publics favourite addon for tracers)
- JAM 3 rifles
- JAM 3 and Tracers

but im asking what other effects would you like to see ? or would people prefer if i got rid of any of the ones stated above what are peoples favourite tracer addons etc etc.

I dont want to replace soldiers by Hyk's and Earl and Sucheys ones since that will take a long time instead of the JAM and Tracers should be easier right ?

anyway what do you guys think about it
any opinion welcome
cheers

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Re:extra effects
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2005, 05:55:58 »
Random weather.
Voice acting?
Some explosion and fire scripts.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2005, 09:55:54 »
well voice acting comes with it anyway but i like the idea of the Explosions and fire scripts and random weather is also included in some missions

thanks for the ideas

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2006, 07:29:22 »
I don't agree with the added explosion and fire scripts. Most users who want these kind of things in their missions use ECP or FlashFX type mods. That decision should be left to the player, considering that it increases the required PC resources.

Random weather also comes with ECP-style mods, and some people also don't like random weather (myself included) because it changes too fast. Also, weather should be decided by the author to set the atsmosphere (no pun intended) of the mission.

Just my take.
Cymbaline

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2006, 14:50:37 »
i think im going to do a JAM edition where unts rifles are replaced with JAM rifles but is it easy to do it cause i dont want to seitch every unit around is there any way of just making them switch ?

Also i will be making many of the missions MP compatible for use online but depends on what missions because some just wont suit as online where your on your own there will be no room for other players to join

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jan 2006, 07:22:59 »
well, a few months ago i saw a .sqm updater that allows you to switch your standard BIS units for units made by any mod. don't know where it is, but u could try a search of the Ed or Intel depots.
Cymbaline

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jan 2006, 11:54:37 »
Do what I'm doing with my newest mission. Make a couple or three versions so everyone can choose.

That way they can have their cake and eat it.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jan 2006, 22:44:11 »
My favorite tracers: Grendel's Tracers. Why? Because they are addon free. Make sure to search that thread for the most up-to-date version.

Actually, I haven't tried Wolfsbane or Bn880's tracer addons, so I can't compare them. But   if an addon-free script can do the same thing as an addon, I see no reason to use an extra addon.

------------

All I would look for in an addon-required version would be JAM3 HD weapons. I say this because this addon would actually change the gameplay of the mission. Other than that, if you are just using the addons for looks, I could care less, since my computer is crap, and the looks of units doesn't change the gameplay.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jan 2006, 01:45:23 »
I agree, don't use addons for looks really.

And a JAM HD version would be interesting. It might require adjustment though, because of the inacuracy of the weapons, etc.

On the other hand, commenting about Morglor9's post (no offence mate, just making a point), even some of the decent computers have a hard time running ECP:
[
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
512 Mb SD Ram
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 Video Card
With these settings, after about an hour it starts lagging like a sodding sloth  :P
]

I would prefer if the author did indeed use explosions and fire. Maybe a dialog to turn off, tune down, or use fire effects might be in order? :)

And dialogs/titleRscs are a must must must. Very few authors take the time to create them, but they are so worth it.

« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2006, 01:46:29 by Tyger »
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jan 2006, 07:33:41 »
sorry, Tyger, but my main point was that those more advanced things should be the players decision. some people may like the orange smoke explosions of good ol' OFP. Also, if ECP lags your computer with all but the explosion/burn effects turned off, there's a good chance that the drop effect scripts will also.

PS: i would suggest that you buy yourself another stick of 512 RAM. would help you out a lot. I've got:

{
Budget custom built system from OTV Technologies in Saskatoon
AMD A64 3000+
1 GB RAM (2x 512MB PC3200)
NVidia GeForce 6600GT (128MB)
}

anyway, doubling your RAM really helps your performance (duh). And I mean noticably helps, not just statistically like some other upgrades.
Cymbaline

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jan 2006, 11:12:35 »
Now, before this turns into a spec show, I'd like to add that Tyger, mate, your gfx card is an utterly worthles piece of cow poo.

* Artak pulls the mod stick from his pants

This topic is on thin ice. More 'mission ideas' sort of discussion and less off-topic m'kay.  ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 2006, 18:58:54 »
your gfx card is an utterly worthles piece of cow poo

Then you aint heard of the Geforce 2 which i have  ;D

Anyway thanks for all your suggestions i found that file which changes units from the .sqm and will use it to change the soldiers into JAM3 units

Also about the explosion effects ill have to see how hard it would be to do which i think would be rather hard and would lag anyway since the tanks would need a killed EH on all of the tanks in game running a scripts with a loop to show the smoke and fire

So you would get lag anyway so i might pass on that idea but ill definately include the JAM3

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2006, 04:44:42 »
Dude there's a script in the ed depot that checks if the unit reaches a set amount of damage and then just runs the shock dust and smoke. No event handler.

I always use it in my missions and lag isn't really an issue. Mind you I've only had about 6 burnung at any given time. What sort of numbers are you thinking of?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2006, 16:33:43 »
hey how about a link please

Also there are some missions where there could be over 10 burning bsically cause you attack a fuel base where theres two BMP's then move onto a town where there are 2 T72's also with armoured support of 4 M60's which blow up easy then a counter attack with over 4-5 T80's so alot

ill have a look into it though cheers

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:29:52 »
Hey,

I have some really nice scripts that you could possibly use in the campaign. Drop me a line on MSN when you're on next and ill send them.

Rhys
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2006, 20:22:29 »
cheers will do