Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: what about this?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline foibosapolon

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
what about this?
« on: 06 Dec 2005, 21:56:45 »
Hi. I have some idea how to make something like rpg system, like armors, hit points, and gun skills levels. For example, gun will have a damage 0.05+ x - y, where x is level of player or gunner and y is armor class, for example, your level is 1, x is 0.05, when you have armor whit class 20, it will take you 0.05 + x - 0.02. Is it possible? And for hit points... hmm, i only beginner and i dont have pc on colege, so its only in my head. For hit points something like, you start with damage 0.75, for example, that will be 75 as max, and on 5.level, you will have maximal health 85, so 0.85... and sorry for my english,im from slovakia. Can anybody help? Thx a lot

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:what about this?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2005, 00:02:22 »
I have moved this to General as I think it belong there if it belongs anywhere.

What you are describing is what OFP already is.  A unit has a possibility to take damage of 1.  Some weapons damage more than others and people, tanks etc. are damaged differently depending on where they are hit.  Units have skill levels that can be changed during the mission and units accumulate rating points depending on their kills.  It is just that this is not very visible.  I suggest you explain exactly the sort of thing you would like to do.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2005, 00:03:24 by THobson »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2005, 01:48:09 »
Thobson is right, the game does a lot of this already.   'Gun skill' for example is already completely embedded in the game through the skill level.   You could replicate 'gun strength' by allowing different weapons at different times.   (If you have a high enough rating (and rating is already in the game) you can get a better gun.)

It would be possible to do as you suggest, with some units having stronger "armour", but it would be very messy.   Before you even started on the code you would have to decide things like 'will a shot to the head still cause death?'    You would use eventHandlers to deal with this.    (Starting with damage 0 or 0.75 is not really that different - a bullet in the head will kill you.)

« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2005, 01:49:09 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline foibosapolon

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 07 Dec 2005, 18:21:18 »
of course,i want make weapons less deadly,the best weapon will take only 0.5 damage, for example. I only ask,if its posible to set weapon to take lower damage than 1,in head too. I know, flashpoint isnt build for that, i hear it few times.
For example, i will make a weapon, that will take a 0.05 damage to any unit and a unit type with something like armor,that will decrease the damage. I cant make it right now, to test it, or support my idea, but something like. So is there a script, or function, that set how much can weapon take? or any weapon take the same damage? i dont thik so, if yes, my question is very stupid, but im only lama:) thanks for help.

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2005, 18:41:32 »
some of what you are asking  are config based attributes.
You will have to create a mod to amend these values

and as you cannot dynamically change these config attributes ingame, what you seek to achieve probably isnt possible
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2005, 18:44:43 by Terox »
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

Offline foibosapolon

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 07 Dec 2005, 19:16:03 »
i dont want to change guns or armors, only player. After some job his level will increase to 2, so he can take more damage. i only want the script, or anything, what i must set in that config to the weapon, to set damage to 0.05 + level of player... im only a beginner, so i need help with elementary,hope i dont bother anybody with such questions. thanks

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2005, 19:26:09 »
Well you could give the player a hit or a damaged Event Handler to reduce his damage based n his rating level:
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=543
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/comref.php?letter=R#rating

Not fool proof as a fatal shot will still be fatal

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2005, 19:32:21 »
Ummmm foibosapolon,

The primary purpose of the forums is to answer questions and possibly debate in a calm collected manner about all kinds of relevant subjects (OFP Editing Only).

So you aren't creating any bother asking questions......trust me.

We can only do what we can to try and answer them.   ::)

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 07 Dec 2005, 19:39:49 »
Whatever way there is to do it, this is a large and sophisticated task.   Give up for now, and come back to it in six months time when you are an expert.   This is not beginner stuff.

This game is a military combat simulation.   In real combat, if something going at twice the speed of sound hits you in the head, you are probably dead.   It's an axiom of the game.    Sure, you could figure out a way round it, but its like teaching a pig to play poker:  it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Edit:  just seen THobson's post.   He is right:  that's probably as good a fix as you'll get.    It is possible to make the player invincible, but the kind of "graded invincibility" you are talking about would be very hard I think.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2005, 19:46:14 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline foibosapolon

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 07 Dec 2005, 20:02:57 »
anyway, thanks.

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #10 on: 07 Dec 2005, 21:02:55 »
a couple of years ago i experimented with 0 respawn delay on normal pvp respawn

if i remember correctly it actually stopped you from being killed, no killed message etc

so using that,  a hit event handler and some intermediate scripting and using a cutscene when your system decided the player should now be dead is probably the closest thing you could get

The end result wouldnt be very plausible though, so i am afraid that without creating an addon / mod to do this, what you are trying to achieve with the present ofp engine would turn out to be something senseless

and even with a customised mod, it still wouldnt be what you aim to achieve
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2005, 21:03:58 by Terox »
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123