Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ABOUT THE OFP EDITOR - Read This !!!  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
ABOUT THE OFP EDITOR - Read This !!!
« on: 13 Oct 2002, 16:25:11 »
===========================================================================

Good very day to thee, gent's, :wave:

This thread refers to the OFP PATCH 1.85, so please pay attention!

===========================================================================

As far as I get it, the new patch will allow us to add CUSTOM CLASSES within the editor,
 meaning that we can now have, say a class like this one:

UNITS
side = WEST
class = BUILDINGS
unit = MyBunker     ( or: HouseDum_06  etc.)

The "BUILDINGS" -part would be such a new custom class, and that is what this is about.  :wow:

============================================================================

Now, this is all fine, but it also means alot of trouble re. mission editing if we don't agree on
 some sort of  "class-restrictions",  or at least  "class-directions".   this is why I suggest that we
 start putting together a list of MOST WANTED CLASSES or alike; I hope you all see and
 agree that this would ease up editing!

It would really suck to see a new class for each and every frikkin' bunker, car, trooper etc.
 as it means "mega-scrolling" every time you have to use a new class.  ::)
 Thus, I suggest that we take this a bit "serious" though it seems a ridiculous detail - it ain't.  :P
 Trust me!!!   It ain't fun to scroll through TONS of things in the "Support" sub-class,
 as we already know (those of us who have the unofficial editor upgrades), and this is why
 a moderated amount of classes would be a very good idea to get, I think.  :o :toocool:

This is also a follow-up on the exellent "Addons Autor tag" -idea; I think we owe to BIS (and
 to ourselves) to show our gratitude for all their amazing support and that we can administrate
 the overwhelmingly but stunning freedom that they have given to us!

OFPEC could claim that any uploaded custom classes should be one of the ones we (soon,
 I hope) put together - unless we talk about a new & nessesary class which could then be
 added to the "Unofficial Editor Class Tree" or alike.

========================================================================

[edit] :  I just found the following stuff in another thread :

What should be the generally accepted convention for adding new vehicle class names with third-party addons?

This would be like the OFPEC convention of adding a three letter tag to the names of individual vehicles, except this may not be quite as necessary.  Nonetheless, a system would be nice to avoid addons from flooding the list with too many vehicle class names.  Also, it would be to keep people from putting certain characters in the front of the class name so it is always on top of the list.  Should the vehicle class name go by the author?  Should it go by the time period of the unit?

This would be my suggestion:

Authors who put out large packs like the 'Nam pack or the HK pack have a vehicle class that begins with x, like "x-NamPack".

Authors who put out several separate addons, name the vehicle class after themselves and put a y in front of it, for example:  "y-Chomps".

Authors who just want their addons beta tested and really do not want them to be included in missions yet can use "z-Beta".

In special cases, like Editor Addons, or island specific objects, perhaps a w beginning, like "w-EditorUpgrade".

Under those class names, cars, tanks, planes, etc. would be mixed together, since in most cases there will not be such a long list anyway.  If the list really is too long and has too much of a variety of units, then perhaps it can be split up like "x-NamPack_Men" and "x-NamPack_Air".

Well, you can probably tell that my suggestion is based on the assumption that you cannot have spaces, which propbably is not even true, but you get the idea.

==============================================================================

[/edit]  :-X ;D (thx Chomps)  ;)

Now, this only boost the suspected "importance" of my own ideas on the issue,
 so if you agree/have more to add, please post suggestions for such a
  MOST WANTED CLASSES + any ideas on how to handle sub-classes etc.

In short: Please post your ideas below, and tell me (and the world) about your thoughts on this.

Thank you! :-* ;)

Tomb

« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2002, 17:01:20 by Tomb »

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
Re: ABOUT THE OFP EDITOR - Read This !!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2002, 23:56:42 »
  ::)  sheez, I completely forgot to post my own suggestions ( ::) )

Oh well... here goes, then.  ;D

Some ppl may want a class for each addonMaker's TAG name.
 This is rediculous!  No one knows about ALL addons out there,
 and seeing a class named "GGG" doesn't really ease up editing!!

Thus, howsabout SIMPLE and CLEAN, like these below.
 We should agree on defining some "MAIN" classes:

Example :

UNITS / (side) WEST / (class) BUILDINGS / (subClasses) GGG_Bunker, GGA_Military HQ, etc.

And all non-military buildings were then set as :

UNITS / (side) CIV. / (class) BUILDINGS / (sub...etc) ...

Another good example - SEA :

UNITS / (side) WEST / (class) SEA / (sub.) GGG_Ship, GGA_boat, etc.

This is the way I'd like to see things moving - nice & clean.  :)

Finally, what if ppl start making new SIDES as well ?  ???

Is it possible, and if so - how will the game engine deal with that ?

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2002, 02:04:25 »
i see your point tomb - and i agree... what i will hate the most is every1 inventing their own class etc...

now why doesnt ofpec inplement its own rules about classes? so they may only be in certain ones like Sea, Armour etc... like the ones you suggested.

any that are to specific or just annoy people, can be changed... mite be a thought.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2002, 11:28:59 »
they may only be in certain ones like Sea, Armour etc... like the ones you suggested.

I disagree. There are good reasons for the tag system. If you have two untagged addons that share the same name, you can expect unwanted results in OFP. If you have 1000 different classes, no harm is done. If you think an addon creates a new class without any need, just put the addon to it's rightful place: the recycling bin.

It's almost impossible to create a complete system of classes. There may be good reason for some classes that are listed nowhere. What if you have created an addon pack with 30 different types of bridges (for example)? You can put them to "buildings" but if everyone does that, you won't find anything in this section. If you create another section "bridges" it won't be a problem to quickly access the bridges.

Yes, we can make suggestions about addon classes and 95 % of the addons may fit to the given classes. But I'm against chaining the addon makers to a fixed system of addon classes that may not be suitable for the remaining 5 %.

This is my personal opinion by the way, not an official OFPEC statement :P.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2002, 11:30:13 by Sefe »

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2002, 11:43:31 »
I agree heartily with Sefe on this one.  The Classes can be as varied as we desire, and invariably, there will be some Classes that no-one has thought of, but is much needed.

For myself, I would despair if there was just one Building Class. I'd want Military Buildings, Civillian Buildings, and so on, with various sub classes in those as well.

So no, I think it's safe to say, that people can go with whatever they please. Besides, we all know, that once we installed the Editor Upgrade, we could traverse the menus in seconds, and knew exactly where everything we wanted, was.

What we will do, is perhaps make a suggested list of Classes, just to give people some ideas on what to create for themselves.

It will go no further than a suggestion to be taken on board, or ignored.

Thanks!
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline snYpir

• BIS Team
  • OFPEC Jedi Master
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2002, 11:48:03 »
*snYpir smells an editors depot thread and comes hunting*

A recommended list of classes would be acceptable.

Tomb: Please reply with a list of recommended classes as you think they should be. This will give us a starting point.

I am happy to post such a listing in the editors depot, as a 'recommended class listing'. Of course if you are really motivated you can back it up with a tutorial on how to define new classes with 1.85 when it comes out.... ;)

what do you think?
Bohemia Interactive Simulations

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2002, 17:19:26 »
As with everything in the OFP community, I think it will all work out for the best, once we get past the initial problems.

I don't have a list of recommended/suggested classes really. I think everything is pretty given once you get to that point.

Random addon-maker
Okay, I've just made me a shiny new tank. Where do I put it?
A class called:
Ships
Airplanes
Helicopters
Houses
Cars
or armoured/tanks?

Like I said, it's pretty given where each addon goes.
And I don't think we'll see that many problems arise from this.
And even if we do, we can always do what Sefe said. Send the addon to the recycling bin.
Better yet, dePBO, change the config.cpp and put it wherever you want it. If you really want the addon I mean.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2002, 19:56:21 »
 :D Downloading 1.85 this very mo.

I only have my late hours free these next few days, but I'll post a more detailed "most wanted" list,
or my suggestions for a "recommended classes" list asap.  :P :)

It's good to read various opinions up there;
 I figured it would end up as kind of a compromize which suits me fine. :thumbsup:

After all - hence the net & it's chaotic anarchy - we will never be able to
actually DECIDE how stuff is done, and I for my part haven't got any dreams on doing so. ::)

What I'd like to see is just some common sense :

NOT this :

Units/TMB_pack1

... or :

Units/TMB Addons / {TMB_Pack1, 2, 3, etc. }

.... that would stink, coz if everyone did this we'd have to scroll down the
"Units/" menu for HOURS before finding the thing we want.
(if we can remember at all what "TMB_pack1 was?!  :P :(  )

:o 8) I'd much rather see stuff like this :

UNITS / SEA / BIG SHIPS / "MyShip"  and :   .../ SMALL SHIPS / MyBoat... etc.

Same for trees & bushes, like this :

UNITS / LANDSCAPE / {trees,bushes,rocks...}

... or better :

UNITS / LANDSCAPE / NATURE (incl. trees,bushes etc)

UNITS / LANDSCAPE / INFRASTRUCTURE (incl. roads, tlf.poles, bridges etc.)

.... and so on!  :D 8)

Imagine me looking for some specific rock or bush - what should I do if some d00d offered me
an addon with a DisplayName like "TMB_pack1"  ??? ::)
Soon (after I got the addon), I'd have forgotten all about this addon,
thus I'd be VERY happy to simply be able to

:o *USE MY COMMON SENSE* :o  hence one of the posts above in this thread.

meaning :

UNITS / LANDSCAPE / NATURE / TMB_pack1 or whatever name for his custom bushes.  8)

By using my common sense, I could easily find the stuff I needed!!!
And the other way around - the Addon_Author guy could use HIS common
sense and simply put his addon under an already defined class,
be it orig. or a custom class.

Then, by time, we would have common classes & menus!  :-*

Excuse me for being "naive" in wishing for this, but I have to put up these
suggestions in a hard & stubborn way, due to the ways of the world
(thats :  compromises, the demon of demons, lmao  >:( ;D ) !!!

I'll get back asap with my final suggestions
( but PLEASE, do add your own stuff too, m8s )  :P ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.

:o A summary on the whole idea :o

Sending out SIGNALS to the ofp community about thinking ABOVE your own little addon
would - I hope - remind ppl of what they allready know, but keep forgetting :

Your addon should (in theory) appear as invicible and cool so that if it wasn't
for the custom author tag, ppl would think it's a part of the orig. game!  8)

That's my personal ideals for addons, and they sprout THREE things:

The addon has to be
  • Easy to find & use in the editor
  • 98.3% bug free (ofp itself ain't 100%)
  • in some way original
ok, so it wasn't a short summary - guess I got carried away there!  ::) ;D I'll shut up for now!  :-X

*BEHOLD MY CLASSES LIST* :beat: :noo: ;D (may take a few days, though)

Laterz :-*

« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2002, 20:19:35 by Tomb »

Chomps

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2002, 20:11:22 »
To defend my idea of author-based classes...

First off, my Men class is overflowing as it is. Once you have the 'Nam pack, any WWII pack, and FliPeR's M4 pack, you have a list a mile long.

Even with your proposed addon classes, there will be about 50% of addon makers ignoring it, and even if you have a Sea class, they may make a Ship class or a boat class, ruining the classification system.

In addition, with your own class, if you make a US Marine, then you can leave its editor name as "US Marine", not have the tag that shows up on kill counts and in-game.

I know, with so many authors, your class list may become a little full, which is why I proposed that letter in front, so the default units stay at the top, then editor addons, then large packs, then individual addon makers.

People may be more likely to agree with the letter in front, although in either system there will always be someone who names his class "-----|337-4dd0n-----" or something.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2002, 20:37:28 »
LOL

:) I'll chew on this whole issue, m8 (still wanna fire that "Recommended.." -flare, though).

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2002, 21:50:45 »
*cough*

Sub-classes? What about sub-sub-sub-sub-classes?

Men->Female->Naked->With Hat->On Drugs->TMB_Jill

Who said that sub-classes would be possible? BIS announced the to make addon classes fully dynamic, not the introduction of sub-classes.

So you'll have to stick to

Naked women with hat on drugs->TMB_Jill

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2002, 22:00:10 »
well sub - classes would be good but like your example shows sefe - with just new classes things will get dumb...

So you'll have to stick to

Naked women with hat on drugs->TMB_Jill

now that to me seems like a waste of a class - just keep it to civilian... im all for subclasses that help narrow down your search:

e.g. Armour -> AA -> Shilka

but some things may annoy....

e.g. Civilian -> Men -> Naked -> Drunk -> Smoking -> Homeless -> Tramp1

obviously thats a very extreme case, but i hope u can see what i mean...

but then again, when you have hundreds of addons (like me) then its very annoying having them all in pretty much one class.

so, a suggested list would be great - just so we can maybe have certain standard we can follow - enforcing it, i now agree, would not be the option, as addon makers dont want to be restricted in how they name or class their addon.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2002, 22:17:45 »
Maybe we should simply have author tags on the classes, instead of the addons?

KTE Ships -> Shipname 1, Shipname 2.
KTE Weapons -> Weaponname 1, Weaponname 2.

Could go either way ;)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2002, 22:19:20 »
now that to me seems like a waste of a class - just keep it to civilian... im all for subclasses that help narrow down your search:

e.g. Armour -> AA -> Shilka

Hello?

I'll make it more obvious. Here's an extraction of the main config.bin file:

Code: [Select]
[...]

class CfgVehicles
{
   access=1
   vehicleClass[]={"Men","Car","Armored","Air","Support","Camera","Objects","Ammo","Sounds","Mines"};

[...]

Explain me where you put subclasses there and I'll accept that sub classes are even possible.

Until then:

Armour -> AA -> Shilka :noo:

Chomps

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2002, 01:37:40 »
Maybe we should simply have author tags on the classes, instead of the addons?

KTE Ships -> Shipname 1, Shipname 2.
KTE Weapons -> Weaponname 1, Weaponname 2.

Could go either way ;)

That is basically my suggestion, except without organization by type for each author, because someone may make one tank and one soldier or something.

CareyBear

« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2002, 05:56:39 »
I don't really make addons apart from playing around with O2 and getting annoyed at it. I also don't know where everything is in the editor, and it actually does bug me a bit that the various packs make things quite difficult to find at times - but at least the addon tags have some sorting effect - all the SEBv units are together, all the WWII infantry are together etc. That only becomes annoying if I want the original units & have to search for them (esp since the WWII pack created duplicate Editor names with new sounds.. grrrr)

My two cents on this is: I would like to see sorting by genre. With the number of organised mod packs developing different mods - and the fact that I enjoy making missions in different genres, I think that would be a good class idea. Since the genres are (relatively) small in number as compared to the number of TAGs, something like (to pick a bunch out of the air):

"Car", "Armoured", "Everon Cartel Units", "Everon Cartel Vehicles", "Falklands Units", "Falklands Air", "Falklands Vehicles", "Vietnam Units", "Vietnam Armoured", "Vietnam Air", "WWII Units", "WWII Car", "WWII Armoured", "WWII Air" etc etc etc.

Within that, we can continue to use the current TAG naming convention. I know it's kinda weird to see 'SEBv Medic' under your crosshair, but really, I'd prefer than than having a class list I had to scroll through for five minutes.

If you're payin attention you would have noticed that some of those examples above was mod specific and the others were genre specific. I'm not too fussed.

Doing something like this would make things easy to find - and it's very intuitive. Admittedly, some vehicles etc are from multiple eras / genres, but generally the skin is quite genre specific - often even unit specific. The above approach (possibly even including more specific genre elements if warranted, such as "WWII Sea", or "WWII Buildings"...

And to solve the Beta problem.. A BETA class?

Anyway, if we simply set up the recommended list to include these sorts of things, just the fact that the list exists will encourage people to use it - and again, you can find what you want in seconds. If I want a Tiger tank, I know damn well it's East/WWII Armoured, and once I'm there DWRTiger sticks out a mile. What I don't necessarily know two months after installing it is that it's East/DWR I have to go to, and we end up with the same problem.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm just interested in it being as usable as possible.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2002, 04:46:24 »
Sorry for the delay, folks - been shot down, caught leprosy and had'a bury my parrot  :-\ ( ::) )

Just took a readthru & paid att. to this :

If you think an addon creates a new class without any need, just put the addon to it's rightful place: the recycling bin.

It's almost impossible to create a complete system of classes. There may be good reason for some classes that are listed nowhere. What if you have created an addon pack with 30 different types of bridges (for example)? You can put them to "buildings" but if everyone does that, you won't find anything in this section. If you create another section "bridges" it won't be a problem to quickly access the bridges.

Yes, we can make suggestions about addon classes and 95 % of the addons may fit to the given classes. But I'm against chaining the addon makers to a fixed system of addon classes that may not be suitable for the remaining 5 %.
I am a Lama
This is my personal opinion by the way, not an official OFPEC statement  :P

------------------

...and this :

what i will hate the most is every1 inventing their own class ...

------------------

...and this :

...I'd want Military Buildings, Civillian Buildings, and so on...  

------------------

...and this too :

Men->Female->Naked->With Hat->On Drugs->TMB_Jill

::) ( sheez, seffy!!!!  :noo: ;D )

------------------

So in short :

As I tend to be a stubborn b*stard, I still wanna see this list of classes!  :P

And since it gotta start somewhere I'll start below. Feel free to put up your own ideas, all  :)

(the list is not alfabetic... yet )

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggested/Recommended list of custom classes

1.) MAIN STUFF :

Motorcycle  ( ::) ) what?!... it's a good idea!!!  >:( ;D

Sea

Bunker

HeadQuarters

Tree

Fence/Wall ( which one... ? maybe two diff.)

Bush

Road

House (civ)

Airport ( -stuff, mainly buildings & objects of all kinds )

Harbor ( same as above )

Bridge (c'mon - we won't get 20.000 diff. bridges, one class is enough!! )

Store/Shop  ( ? - will ppl make civy shops with time? or should it just go in "civ.house"? )

Signs  ( the "objects" class needs a hand, thus: sign(s) of all kinds )

Sound  ( am I wrong or is it in kelloggs editor addon? )

---------------------------------------------------------------

My hope is that by time, this list will be a userfriendly guide for all addon makers in where
you can get inspired on how to avoid those confusing/annoying tags and keep the editor as
close to the orig. interface as possible (identical names in the editor won't cause conflicts).

Only exception is "group mods" or "custom teams", not listed under GROUPS (F2) ;
Say, you make a gang or a squad, the guys could go under "TMB_Squad" and then :
Soldier1, soldier2 etc.  Otherwise, I think tag names suck in the editor.
The tags are great when naming PBO files, but they're not nessesary in the editor,
apart from these "groups" I just metioned.

The plan is to get rid of the "old" editor addons and by time add all roads, trees, objects, vehicles etc. in their (soon) new respective classes; I don't think this is a utopic dream, it just needs a lil' coorporation and some attention, thats all. So share my will to make a reality outta this list of graded goodies  8) ;D ;)
I know it's perthetic at the moment, but just be part of making it and watch it grow into order & sense!

cheers, folks!  :cheers:

« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2002, 22:50:37 by Tomb »

DG

« Reply #17 on: 03 Nov 2002, 12:19:06 »
Class def in programming is surposed to make things easier ...in that there is no "reinventing the wheel".

Tomb has pointed out the one thing that bothers me with the Class Def in the addons sect. is the chaos that can come from it. At the moment I find the listings bad enough ...as much as CareyBear does ( and I second his GRRRR! ) .

I feel that the Admins of this site should get together and hash out a Class Structure for this , release it for Comments and Q&A , revise it , then update it periodically after requests for the addon makers . Essentially , any addon submitted to this site , in the config.cpp file , must adher to the Class Structure so that any downloaded addon follows the pattern .. basically so everyone doesn't start muttering under their breath things like " I hate $%^#&*( scrolling " etc etc  ;).

So Tomb , run with this Mate , I be there to nit-pick  :D when the first rev. comes out...

cheers

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #18 on: 03 Nov 2002, 13:25:34 »
cool enough, matey!  ;)

But apparently, this thread should be MOVED ( :o ) from the "comments" board to
one of the addon boards, as 85% of the ofpec visitors nowadays only visit
the addon boards  :P :) Thus: this thread won't see much development as long as it remains here.

I didn't think of that when I first started the thread  :-\

Mods - am I right here?

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 03 Nov 2002, 14:32:15 »
Essentially , any addon submitted to this site , in the config.cpp file , must adher to the Class Structure so that any downloaded addon follows the pattern .. basically so everyone doesn't start muttering under their breath things like " I hate $%^#&*( scrolling " etc etc  ;).

Sorry, but we already said 'no' to that. We won't force submitters into a fixed set of addon classes.

DG

« Reply #20 on: 03 Nov 2002, 15:00:05 »
Fair enough Sefe .

I believe if a guidline is created , the addon makers will follow it as long as everyone finds the structure logicial anyhow. I think that's what you are aiming for given the comments you have made.

Cheers All

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #21 on: 04 Nov 2002, 00:07:35 »
BAS have used this new function very nicely with the littlebirds.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #22 on: 04 Nov 2002, 02:26:14 »
 :D Yeah, I grabbed those birds the other day, and their example made me do
some meditation (on the couch... Zzzz  ::) ;D ), resulting in yet another compromise;
and coz of this and the fact that I'm involved in a bit of a complexed matter myself re. how to define addons in this or that class, I came to the conclusion that group-addons would be best off using their own classes (with or without tags).

Example # 1 :
===========

I updated an old "uce_E" (may God be on his side) -addon, the "uce_russian" soldiers.
Since he was such a talented skinner (its so sad that he's gone now, he was among the best ever),
and since his "russian" addon contained 12+ units, I made a special "uce_soldiers" class (for private use, 'course).

This way I could simply use "displayNames" like "soldier", "AA soldier" etc.
as they would all be in the "uce" class under UNITS / EAST  :)

But it takes - in my opinion - a large addon with numerous units to "deserve" a new class.
Mainly because if you add vehicles (like "bas" did), the EMPTY class menu will grow
frikkin long with time, foreseeing dusins of new custom classes.

This is (I think) one of my stronger points re. why we should put together a "recommended" list  :P :)

Example # 2 :
===========

The project I'm involved in at the mo. contains 5-8 units, several motorcycles and a car ( :hmm: )  ;D
This makes it hard to decide wether or not a new class should be made;
on one hand, a custom "xx_gang" class would be nice, as we're talking about a gang!
On the other hand, it would be smart to just throw the bikes in a new class
named "motorcycle" - a class for other ppl to use in the future!!  :D

The latter would mainly be neat if you think about the EMPTY class issue I spoke of before.

------------------

It is a complicated discussion, I admit that - but it shouldn't scare us from trying to get
a hold on things and put up some sort of "line-of-sense" to hold on to.
But it blows my top to do this alone  :P I can't predict all on-coming classes and I
cannot put up this list of "useful and handy" common classes (like the motorcycle class) all by myself; I need you guys to throw in your own ideas, your hots 'n' nots!

Maybe a poll of some sort would help  ???

DG

« Reply #23 on: 04 Nov 2002, 06:38:16 »
Tomb , can you get this thread moved over to the Addon's section like you mentioned before ? See if Klink and the others have any points ... , might find a bit more support... true ?

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #24 on: 04 Nov 2002, 21:01:22 »
True that, but moving threads ain't my ...uuuum...."board" ( ::) ) it's a moddy-thingy