Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: mission makers' option on re-releasing map-/campaign-conversions (mod)  (Read 1485 times)

i.Q

hello  :)

this thread is not intented to get the correct answer/way,
but more like to get how the feeling is upon most mappers for this question.

so its about re-releasing a made mission / campaign 'just having all units' converted to a mod.
which is basically units, vehilces, weapons and such. no other changes.
(besides balance stuff and bugfixing ...)
credits will be given no question. yet is there the need to ask
each individual mapper by himself or it is giving them credis 'enough'.

how do you feel ?

i'd like to add some points here on my own:

making new maps and especially campaigns is a hell of a lot work !
no things are altered or ripped off.

yet i do think whats most important and for what things are normally made are to be played !

in my opinion the most important thing is that 'my work' is being used and enjoyed !

:)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
1. In my opinion by releasing a mission to the public, the author has agreed to his mission being modified and ripped a part and re-released.

2. However, always check the readme.txt, which should always be included. If it doesn't hold any specific information on your rights to the mission, go with #1.

3. If the readme doesn't say anything, always remember to still give out credits to the original author. In any case, always credit the original author, it's very important.

4. If the readme specifics forbit you to modify the mission, don't.

5. If there was a readme with the mission when you got it, it would be wise to leave it intact and write your own modify_readme.txt to go along with it, and distribute them with the mission.
Not all is lost.

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
I'd say always contact the author first. If he sais no, so be it. If he doesn't respond or you have no way contacting him, go with what Artak said. This probably means he left the community and probably no longer cares about his old missions.
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
I would agree with MachoMan.  Always contact the author first.  I'm quite sure you will find most authors would be open to your suggestion, but is always nice to ask first.

-Student Pilot

i.Q

sorry about wrong forum  ::)

yea no question about asking and credits

yet with mpmissions from mp server its often a problem to get the contact  ???

what timeframe do u think u have to wait for an answer ?

smiller

This was done a while back with the original campaign, changing it to jungle missions and snow missions. People have also changed the units to BAS Rangers etc.

I think it would be a good idea to put a poll in this thread to gauge just what missions people would like changed and what they want it exchanged with.

Sam

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
1. In my opinion by releasing a mission to the public, the author has agreed to his mission being modified and ripped a part and re-released.
quote by artak

well kind of but its still going to be the same mission with different units but still same story same objectives and so on, and the mission belongs to the person who made it so you should ask for permission of the author unless you plan on editing the mission like objectives and change other things eg
add patrols
more men
more armour
hidden objevtives
a counter attack at the end
etc etc

then its not really the ssame mission so in my opinion in that case it can be released without asking for permission but maybe credits given to the author for the idea

thats just my opinion

but it can never hurt to ask the author

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Yes yes, Of course. Naturally. My first post was a bit misleading as I seemed to forgot to add

1.1 Always try to contact the author for his permission.

It's just the right thing to do obviously.

what timeframe do u think u have to wait for an answer ?
If I was into this kind of modification (which I'm not), I'd wait for two weeks. When OFPEC MD has a faulty mission, the author is notified and we wait two weeks for him to respond. In all my time no-one has complained.
Not all is lost.

i.Q

ok thank you all for your comments !