Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: TAKE COVER script  (Read 5568 times)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:TAKE COVER script
« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2004, 04:57:00 »
I dont believe nearestobject command or resources is the issue.
Seeing how the script works on some computers but crashes slower ones, that would seem to be the case. However, I tried commenting out all the evaluation part of the function (where it determines what do do with the object found via nearestobject), and it didn't crash my computer at all. So I think you may be right about that.

Now, I tried your suggestion, and.... it crashed still. However, it didn't seem to crash as quickly as usual, so at least that is encouraging :D. Interesting thing though, is that I tried putting this in instead:

if ("All" countType [_obj] == 1 && typeof _obj == "crater") then

And I got a different result: instead of the game crashing, it froze. Not a more desirable result, but a different one nonetheless...

A sneaking suspicion I've had is that perhaps the nearestObject is returning something weird, like the blood particle that appears when a unit is hit. But the thing that confuses me, is why would the script crash some computers but not others, if it is making a bad call (like a getpos to an object that doesn't exist)?
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2004, 05:30:39 »
Did you try
Code: [Select]
if ("All" countType [_obj] == 1 && typeof _obj != "crater") ??

And perhaps switch off blood for testing purposes.
"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2004, 05:44:05 »
Whoops! I meant !=.... I'll try turning off blood though.
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Manitou

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2004, 11:51:51 »
I'm totaly in the dark to all this clever scripting but I noticed in the last post, a comment about a "blood" object and confusion over why one PC crashes and another doesn't. I forgot to mention in my last post that I use ECP and I know that it has custom blood particles, which were on at the time of my testing. I'm in work at the moment so I can't test the script with and without ECP blood running but I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck, code boffins. ;D

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2004, 20:46:34 »
Just for the record :

My PC crashed too to desktop, once the battle begins.
No mods like ECP were installed,
I have a AMD 2000+ with 1024 Mb RAM.
So plenty of RAM and it still crashes.
Very nice script when it works, I really hope it will someday.

**edit**
Correction : I forgot dxdll was installed

Search or search or search before you ask.

Gooner861

« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2004, 23:57:16 »
How come my computer is the only one not to crash? Im feeling left out  :'( .

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #21 on: 01 Sep 2004, 00:16:28 »
How come my computer is the only one not to crash? Im feeling left out  :'( .
What are your computer specs? I'm just as confused as you are on that one Gooner. Try running the script on a few groups at one time, and have them fight more enemies. Maybe you can get a CTD then.  8)

Gooner861

« Reply #22 on: 01 Sep 2004, 00:23:11 »
900mhz, 256 mb Ram, Geforce 4 graphics card so pretty poor really.

I have ECP installed when running it. I think you have enough people anyway with crashes to show the script needs fixing, maybe my computers just invincible  ;D  8) .

Nice script though  ;D

Gooner

Northener-PNE

« Reply #23 on: 09 Sep 2004, 15:26:36 »
I also tried your script and it CTD in about 10secs. Shame as it sounds like a cool script. I hope you can figure it out.

My specs
Amd 3200XP
1Gig Ram
XFX 6800GT
XP Pro SP2
Bla Bla Bla

???

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2004, 08:02:49 »
MIne worked fine on first part crashed on second part I didnt get to try it 2 times though it looks promising. its funny seeing all there heads sticking out of the bushes

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #25 on: 09 May 2005, 23:27:56 »
So what's happening to this script? You abandoned it? :P Or are you still working on it?

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2005, 00:32:23 »
Wow, I never saw this before.

What Zayfod says about craters etc has cleared up a minor issue for me, too- namely that when I was running a nearestobject loop and constantly (accidentally) picking up the player's footprints (called 'mark'), I was often getting crashes to desktop as well, but only rarely. Still, it puzzled me since ofp almost never does that to me, certainly not with the kind of frequency that was occuring in this script. Well, now I know why :o

And, even though I'll only be about the 59 billionth person to test this, I must see it. I tried to make something similar to this a while back (all that raytracing with smokeshells business ::)), by testing the environment around the unit in question for line of sight to the thing they were taking cover from. However my method often failed due to incorrect positions being returned from the raytraces. If I'd have known the problem had already been solved... :P

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2005, 18:05:47 »
Back to the drawing board.
I am actually flying into a star... this is incredible!