Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sniper mission  (Read 1931 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Sniper mission
« on: 10 Apr 2005, 16:52:12 »
i have made 2 sniper missions but both of them dont feel that good. so i wondered what makes a good sniper mission.

First mission.
Paradrop near a town. with another sniper. All A.T Patrols must be taken out aswell as M2Machine guns. then you send in the tanks to clear the armour

Second mission
Parachute near a Russian base with 3 other snipers. get a good vantage point and open fire and clear the base of Russian infantry aswell as friendly tanks wich help clear the armour.

both dont feel that good what can be done to enchnce both of them make them more into an intense long distance fire fight. just the enemy dont seem to want to fight on the first second they do fight just not well

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Sniper mission
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2005, 19:15:50 »
A good sniper mission is:

1. Insertion
2. Finding The Target
3. Execute The Target
4. Extraction

Sadly, these kind of missions sucks really hard since OFPs AI can't really handle 'chase-downs' very well. The player could just pop the target and then pop the rest of the base as well.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2005, 21:27:55 »
okay i have slightly expanded on the mission
you insert by a black hawk

1.you then go and sieze the town with help from the tanks

2.then once it is secure you are told there is a counter attack

3.you then have a timelimit in wich how long you need to hold them off till reinforcements come. from multiple choppers and a convoy wich sonsits of a truck with men in a jeep with machine gun a hmmwv and a m113.

4.then once all is clear you are sent a black hawk wich you extract from. (might add tail rotor script there) then you are told to hold of the russians second wave and keep the wounded crew in chopper alive.

5.then your told to meet up in a rendevous point were you extract from there.

does that sound good what could be added maybe taken away

bluehand

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2005, 22:49:40 »
Let's see... if I were in command and I had tanks and a sniper, why would I send the sniper in ahead of the tanks?  tin tanks like T55s or even just APCs would need somebody to take out all the enemy's AT guys first.  Then they could go in buttoned up and clear the rest of the infantry and M2s.  So the armour are waiting for your call that it's clear to attack.  Call too soon, and some will get taken out  ;)
Meanwhile you've got a sniper against a lot of infantry, so they need to be responding - going on search & destroy waypoints triggered by being aware of the player, maybe even generating extra units (out of tents / M113s) to do the looking.  Something to keep the player alert / frightened and moving from cover to cover.

It's not too hard to setpos a gamelogic to the same place where the player is, and then make enemy_unit move getpos gamelogic.  So they come out and hunt you.  That way you have to change position between shots.

The trouble with the counterattack is that your armour would handle it easily.  Maybe they should move on to the next objective, while you wait for transport to take you back to base.  So you're all alone in the town when the enemy counterattack...

Finally you could check the scripting thread for the stuff about dragging bodies.  Maybe there's someone special among the dead enemy that you need to put on board the chopper when you leave.

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2005, 06:30:52 »
i must say that a good sniper mission requires the good old 'shoot-n-scoot'.  I think a good mission may be that you have to sit up in some hills and cover a infantry squad or two as they move into the town, instead of forcing the sniper to clear the town (or other area) himself, which doesn't seem like a sensible thing for any army to do.
Cymbaline

Agent Luciane

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2005, 05:02:25 »
Hey you could make a good sniper mission based on a legend of the American -Vietnam war.. there was an american indian sniper he went all native and dressed in a mixture of american indian headbands and his issued uniform who with a modified 50.calibre machine gun turned into a sniper rifle would engage troops moving up the Ho Chi Minh trail actually shoot them off of there pushbikes from that faraway that the communists couldn't hear the sound of the shot..I think he was 101st airborne green beret.....so if you had a sebnam pack and someidea of editing you could make a kick arse  sniper mission or even campaign

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2005, 08:46:15 »
well Agent Luciane nice idea but im thinking of no addons and i cant make my own very well but i will take that idea in to further thinking.
Also bluehand i like the idea of the game logic so if possible and you know how could you create the script but also have the game logic with around 20 metres around the player.
The idea now is
1. get inserted
2. must cover bravo as they take the town
3. at patrols must be taken out before you can radio zulu who deals with the armour
4. get word of enemy counter attack by this yime zulu is half dead and are told to wait for reinforcement so you must place charges on the road.
5. get extracted then an attack happes on the freindly base

Any more idea would be great

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2005, 23:26:13 »
Once upon a time i've been working on a sniper/infantry combi
mission for multiplayer (CWC era 2001), which was comming
along very well, but never got released due to appearance
of OFP resistance and increase of editing skills, which forced
me to work on a couple of other missions.

This mission was located in the southeast of everon (there
where those two static artellery guns are placed on a plateau
north of the second village NW from Saint Pierre).

There i made a US base which was goin to become evacuated
due to russian advance and minimum US chances to stand
the fight against those russian in that area.

An AI Specops team had to prepare this base with explosives
to setup a nice welcome for the russian forces on their arrival.

A two men Sniper team was ordered to secure them from a hill
south of this base, covering an angle of 130 degrees from
NW to E.

While Specops did their job down in the base, i had some
small russian 2 men teams, which tried to eliminate those
Specops, or whatever else they found in that base.
These russian teams came up everytime you played that mission in random order, so that you did never know before,
where the next enemy will come from.

- this required really good teamwork for the two player sniper
team, as the area to cover was to huge to be observed by
only one of them (testing over testing with my squad mates
was lot of fun and exciting experience there).

Just to complete the base situation i'll tell ya the objective
of the other 8 man player controlled team, but it's not so important for the sniper thingy.

An 8 men infantry squad (as i said all player controlled), was
placed on the southern side of the same hill, where the sniper
team was, to secure A) the sniper team's rear, and B) to delay
russian pre-advance from the south.
This included taking out some BMP's - some russian infantry groups - russian artellery attacks.
This 8 men infantry group started first at the southern bottom
of the hill, and after a while they had to draw back to defense
line 2 (at the southern top of the same hill).

After succesful completion of their Specop's work, bothe teams,
the Sniper and the infantry group, had to rendevouz over there
at the base, for extraction.

I even managed the timing between snipers and infantry group
very well, so that none of the players ever got bored in this
map.

Well, for single player you could now let all become AI controlled and let the sniper-job be done by the player.

Just a thought  ;)

btw - after writing the summary of this unfinished mission
i feel really sad, never having released it  :-[

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2005, 23:29:18 »
The secret to making a good sniper mission - in fact any good mission - is the waypoints of the opposition AI, and in particular the switch triggers controlling them

AI is a very bad name for it, there is no intelligence.   The intelligence is all in the head of the mission designer.   He has to think for them and lay triggers and waypoints accordingly.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play