Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Is it public or not?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Is it public or not?
« on: 17 Feb 2005, 16:02:39 »
What I would like to see on OFPEC (in the MP forum) is a sticky on the subject Public Variables: "Is this public or not?" Similar to "The time for action has come" in the general editing forum.

Several people (including me) seems to return with similar questions now and then. "If I start this effect from a /trigger/waypoint/script, will it be run only on the server or on all computers?!?

Usually the answer will direct me to Snypir's famous guide in the ed depot.

With a sticky we could have all questions and answers regarding this common subject in one place. Snypir's guide to MP editing is good, but it doesn't answer every question a confused late-night-scripter like myself might have.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
Re:Is it public or not?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2005, 16:24:15 »
I second the motion.

I guess you mean what commands are executed locally or globally. Public variable is public...?

:)

But this is a good idea. It is frustrating to notice that getting good and really helpful information about how some command or whatever thing works in OFP would mean testing all by myself in a LAN. It would be great if the people who have done it already could (and actually would) write their knowledge here on the forums.

IMHO it should be in one thread and all posts that have no valuable information should be deleted by the admins to keep it clear and fast to read.

« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2005, 16:29:56 by Baddo »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2005, 07:20:04 »
I third that motion. If I had any MP knowledge, I'd put it down, but I don't. I sorta asked about this before on the official forums, and a couple gents were good enough to start this.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=c1cf2dde3a32540c3fa8bb44346be403;act=ST;f=7;t=42625;hl=barron

From TJ:
THIS LIST IS PREPARED WITH A VIEW TO IT BEING CORRECTED AS APPROPRIATE.
(In cases where I cannot remember exactly I have taken a best guess and indicated such with a ?)

In some cases the command can only be performed upon a local unit, but the effect is seen globally. EG - With ADDWEAPON

COMMAND :                                               EFFECT:

ACTION  -    LOCAL
ADDACTION   -  LOCAL  ?
ADDEVENTHANDLER  -  GLOBAL  ? (Handled events may/may not be global)
ADDMAGAZINE  -  LOCAL
ADDMAGAZINECARGO  -  LOCAL
ADDMAGAZINEPOOL - (Used in SP campaigns)
ADDRATING  -  GLOBAL ( In effect at least) ?
ADDSCORE -  GLOBAL (In theory at least, though MP scores seem to vary widely)
ADDWEAPON  -  LOCAL (but event broadcast)
ADDWEAPONPOOL  -  (used in sp campaigns)
ALIVE  -  GLOBAL (able to query remote objects)
ALLOWFLEEING  -  LOCAL - (Must be used upon local units) ?
ALLOWGETIN  -  GLOBAL ??
AMMO  -  LOCAL (not sure if you can query remote units) ?
ANIMATE  -  LOCAL  (Animations things are generally broadcast, depending on various factors)
ANIMATIONPHASE  -  GLOBAL  (possible to check phase of remote objects)
ASSIGNASCARGO  -  LOCAL
ASSIGNASCOMMANDER  -  LOCAL
ASSIGNASDRIVER  -  LOCAL
ASSIGNASGUNNER  -  LOCAL
BEHAVIOUR  -  LOCAL (able to check only local units accurately ) ??
BENCHMARK  -  LOCAL

From DrBobcat:
Addaction I have found to be probably one of the most annoying commands in all of OFP as it is so messy...
When removing the action from the person, it HAS to be global or only the person with the action will have it off his menu, but everyone else will still be able to use it off him...confusing - I know.

Now, perhaps this topic might be better posted in the MP board, and then made sticky, and it could all be compiled into a nice neat reference format once complete, but that is up to the mods to decide.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2005, 18:30:10 »
Wandering through, thought I'd chuck this into the pot...

I'd argue against the validity of putting Editing information in a sticky on the Forums, when the Editors Depot is the natural home for it.

Perhaps if it were given a certain focus on the Ed Depot, to allow people quick and easy access or recognisation, it'd work, but having it stickied in the Forums, and having it updated and added to in the Forums, simply diversifies the locale of information, when you really want it controlled under one section..

Maybe.... *Ducks and runs away*

P.S - Anyone know what's happened to Operationflashpoint.com? Did someone forget to register it? Has someone hijacked it? I've been out of the loop for aaaaaaaaaageeeeeees.

ROARGH!
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2005, 22:57:06 »
Couldn't have said it any better than Wolfsbane. :)
The Editor's Depot was made to house information like that.

If you feel like putting together an article about it, then you could submit it there and it would be a valuable resource for all those seeking that information.

PS Wolfsbane:
Code: [Select]
  Domain Name: OPERATIONFLASHPOINT.COM
   Registrar: WEBAGENTUR.AT INTERNET SERVICES GMBH DBA DOMAINNAME.AT
   Whois Server: whois.inname.net
   Referral URL: http://www.domainname.at
   Name Server: NS1.PARKINGSPA.COM
   Name Server: NS2.PARKINGSPA.COM
   Updated Date: 20-dec-2004
   Creation Date: 17-dec-2004
   Expiration Date: 17-dec-2005
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2005, 13:13:14 »
Yes yes... but how do you get all the people to actually give information to Editors Depot? It would be easier for the 'gurus' if it were in the forums.

Of course I would also like it better if the information were in the Depot instead of the forums, but... the process should be made as easy as possible for the people who know about editing or otherwise they will not bother.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2005, 16:22:07 »
The information contained in the 'The time for "action" has come' thread was eventually collated together by Macguba and sent to the Editors Depot.

Someone with MP knowledge of this kind, or someone willing to collate it all together, could easily produce a similar document to submit to the Editors Depot.

The trouble with starting a thread to collect this type of information is, it will also attract spam of various kinds, which will then have to be sorted from the real information when the time came to make a worthwhile document.

Planck
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2005, 16:22:51 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2005, 01:40:28 »

The Editor's Depot was made to house information like that... If you feel like putting together an article about it, then you could submit it there and it would be a valuable resource for all those seeking that information.

Ok, point taken. The problem is: I don't have enough knowledge to make a very reliable or usefull article right now. That's why I figured a sticky would have been a good idea to get started.  I can start a thread on the subject, but threads usually go to sleep pretty fast. Stickys last longer. But I'll make a thread this week or next. That way people can correct me when I'm wrong and add to the knowledge even though the research is still in progress. Just need to go through my missions to see what I can contribute with.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!