Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Making AI Helicopters Land Where YOU Want Them To  (Read 3746 times)

torquemada

Making AI Helicopters Land Where YOU Want Them To
« on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:23:10 »
Hello everybody,

(I've had a quick look around but can't seem to find the answer in the forums)

How can you tell an AI helicopter to land where you want it to?

The scenario: Me and my platoon are tool'd up in the chopper and I've set it a waypoint to move to then get out (it's in one of town sqares of a Nogova town). The chopper moves towards the town but then flies over it turns around and lands on the outside of it. Grrrr.

Am I missing something? Or do I need to write a script or something?

Any help/derision will be most gratefully accepted!

zsa_zsa_rasputin

Re:Making AI Helicopters Land Where YOU Want Them To
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:29:09 »
try using an "invisible H" (Helicopter landing point) and linking the waypoint to it with a synchonisation line or using a DoMove getpos Invisible H type line  ;D

I can't field test this idea MYSELF right now, but I hope it's of SOME help to you  :)

Dan ;D

mikeb

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2002, 14:31:00 »
Have you set the chopper WP to get out, i.e. is the chopper seperate from the group?  This makes a difference.

If the chopper seems simply to have difficulty landing in the town then place an invisible H where you wanted to land and the chopper should aim for this if it's near the WP.

Otherwise you could use some scripting, etc. but first can you describe the grouping please

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2002, 15:54:24 »
You can use -> this Land "land" (this can also be replace with the name of the chopper)..."land" makes him land and turn off the engine.

If you only want that the chopper goes down somewhere you can use -> this FlyInHeight -1 (for example)...makes the chopper touch the ground (engine stays on) till you give him the order to start (this FlyInHeight 20...for example)
again.

Hope this may help...

Plage

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:02:16 »
ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

;D

well AI pilots are notoriously bad.... but the best suggestion is to use a H or invisible H (found the empty/objects section)

this give the chopper a 'target' to land on, otherwise they are programnmed to fins the best and flattest piece of land as close to where u placed the waypoint.

if the men are part of the choppers group then 'Get Out' will work, but then the pilot will get out as well and follow the group

if you have use 'unitname moveincargo choppername' to get the men in the chopper (best way) then use the 'Transport Unload' waypoint to make the chopper drop of its passengers and then let it fly off somewhere with anothe waypoint.

hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

torquemada

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:10:12 »
Right,

Well I've got plenty of things to try tonight.

I'll report back on which one(s) do the trick!

Thanks for all your posts to date.

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:20:38 »
@Messiah: this FlyInHeight -XXX always works on every place even if you want to let it fly into a house or go down on a steepy hill.

I'm working on a 'Nam mission with a real "disembarkation" (didn't find a better word... mean units jumping out a chopper) of units from waves of landing "Hueys" and trust me I've some experience in that.

If you want to have cargo is jumping out try the "unassign" command and "name action ["eject", choppername]".

The "H" versions is also ok in some cases but maybe not what he wants.

Greetz
Plage
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 16:21:44 by T.S.C.Plage »

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:22:33 »
lol lol lol

i know all that, trust me, im making a nam mission with 10 hueys and also coming in in waves - to stop them flaring out and landing slow i use the flyinheight trick

but for what he wants i believe the 'H' should do the trick

if not, then this flyinheight will work, but u need to fiddle around with it to get it perfect.

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:35:08 »
Maybe you can tell me your solution for the "getout sequence", please!?!

And I think we're only two of hundreds which are working on a mission like this! ;D

Maybe we can work on it together?

Greetz
Plage

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:39:53 »
oooooh sorry

its top secret - well not really - but its an Apoc Now mission which ive been working on for ages...

but the sequence is simple but u need to fiddle around with waypoints alot...

basically you have ya waypoint u want the chopper to go to, then about 200m after place another waypoint and place that on 'limited' speed' and also make the chopper start to decrease its height - then place the final waypoint were u want it and alos make sure (using the last waypoint) u have made it flyinheight to about 1-2m - then just use a trigger and the parachute script to make the get out and then let the chopper flyinheight 30 (low flying overe trees looks cool) and make it go normal speed.

the thing u gotta fiddle here are the waypoints - they need to be spaced correctly to make it looks good.

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2002, 16:47:44 »
Hahaha...

That's the same way like I'm doing it (except that my choppers are flying in "minus" height) but the chopper where I'm in seems to be acting diffrent to all the others with KI cargo!

Btw, if you need the "charge" sound (old cavalry trompet set)
tell me I've a very good one. Tara Tara Tara Tara Tari...  ;D

Plage

Btw, I'm sure you're waiting for a surfboard addon! ;)
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 16:48:15 by T.S.C.Plage »

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2002, 17:04:46 »
oohhhh - ive been searching for that damn thing for ages - do u have a copy u could send? or tell me where it was?

cheers.

torquemada

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2002, 17:12:52 »
Guys,

I like the way this going.

I've made small Vietnam style missions using the Ia Trang and Jungle Everon islands but being a green-horn at all this none were particularly good.

With all the Huey/Vietnam unit addons Op Flash is well over due for some quality 'Nam missions.

p.s. Anybody remember Tour of Duty? The Rollins Stones 'Paint it Black' would be superb intro music.....

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2002, 17:19:35 »
Mate,

if you're interrested in 'Nam stuff for OFP you should visit
this threat: "Ehmmm...I saw you've found it already!!! Ment the SEB 'Nam Pack threat"

But visit my page and take a look at my "Tour of duty - Trailer" (Paint it black is the theme song!!!).
You'll also find some other stuff and links to other OFP 'Nam sites on it.

Plage

torquemada

« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2002, 11:12:48 »
Everybody,

The Invisible H's have done the trick. A bit of tickering and I soon had two troop'd up Black Hawks landing in Lipany's Town square. Looks sweet.

Plage,

I've downloaded the mission and I look forward to giving it a spin!

Many thanks to everybody.

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2002, 14:28:52 »
Then "solve" the topic, mate! 8)