Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Korean Offensive.... and whatnot.  (Read 1566 times)

Homefry31464

Korean Offensive.... and whatnot.
« on: 17 Dec 2004, 15:30:29 »
I've thought about this idea for a while, nothing really special but still pretty decent, or so I think.  

Background: The year, we will say, is 2006.  N. Korea's nuclear program has passed the 'developmental' stage; and the country is now beginning to deploy IRBM systems.  Despite numerous attempts by the UN to halt the missile production, N. Korea has been defiant.  The fear now is the proliferation of N. Korea's nuclear technologies to other countries.  The North has also made comments pertaining to an "United Korea", and reports of KPA SO forces operating in S. Korea have been confirmed.  Tension between the two have increased in recent weeks, and talks are becoming more heated and less productive.  A conflict seems all but inevitable.[/i]

Your Role: This aspect of the mission needs to be decided.  The player could play a role as a standard S. Korea Army member, a civillian on the front lines of the war, or even the role of a N. Korea soldier.  I imagine the UN would be involved also, so some sort of foreign force would also be present.

Things not to happen: I envision this as a non-nuclear conflict.  Making the conflict nuclear would complicate things further, and ultimetly end the idea of any sort of mission in Korea for a few hundred years...  

Possible things to happen: The player could have access to airstrikes, artillery, etc. if he was playing as a soldier.  If he was a civillian, this of course would have to be re-worked...

I am typing this at work.... so I'll continue it when I get home.....
Any comments or criticism would be nice..

Tomasz

Re:Korean Offensive.... and whatnot.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2004, 15:53:15 »
If the player would be a soldier of either of the sides, would it be just a private or an officer? What rank?

Where would the conflict appear? On an island close to the shore or on a "part" of Korean soil?

If it would be an island, it could have some strategical importence: airfield, uranium deposits.

Could the player ( if playing on the S. Korean side ) play also as a UN peacekeeper? Would the US forces eventually enter the game? Probably yes since Bush is the president :P.

What kind of warfare would there be?

I like the idea though. ;D

Tomasz

Homefry31464

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2004, 18:44:30 »
I realize the first post left many details out, I'll try to fill you in now...

If the player would be a soldier of either of the sides, would it be just a private or an officer? What rank?
Well I was leaning towards the S. Korea side, but it also limits the type of things that could happen in the mission....

Where would the conflict appear? On an island close to the shore or on a "part" of Korean soil?
I imagine the mission would have to take place on an island, would simplify things quite a bit.  

Could the player ( if playing on the S. Korean side ) play also as a UN peacekeeper? Would the US forces eventually enter the game? Probably yes since Bush is the president .
I imagine the UN would be involved one way or another, the question being if the player would be the peacekeeper or not.  I imagine he could be, I would rather choose whatever offers the most gameplay options.

What kind of warfare would there be?
Really does depend on the mission... but guerilla warfare perhaps... I don't really know.  Would have to decide the other elements of the mission first.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2004, 19:18:29 »
How about the story be Japan vs. North Korea since in recent headlines NK said that if Japan imposed sanctions against humanitarian support to NK  then NK would strike them.  That's what I read on yahoo yesterday.  How about this mission you make be that actual war.  At least your prediction of it.  Now the question is what will you play in the story.  That's up to you to decide mr. story maker.  Another question, would North Korea invade Japan, or would Japan do a pre emptive strike.   My guess is the first, that Japan would set up defences, impose the sanctions, then North Korea would send over the jets.  
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2004, 19:20:42 by BronzeEagle »

Homefry31464

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2004, 21:53:23 »
How about the story be Japan vs. North Korea since in recent headlines NK said that if Japan imposed sanctions against humanitarian support to NK  then NK would strike them.  That's what I read on yahoo yesterday.  How about this mission you make be that actual war.  At least your prediction of it.  Now the question is what will you play in the story.  That's up to you to decide mr. story maker.  Another question, would North Korea invade Japan, or would Japan do a pre emptive strike.   My guess is the first, that Japan would set up defences, impose the sanctions, then North Korea would send over the jets.  

Would much rather stick to the current storyline, as this seems like something unrelated to the current mission idea...

MattE

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2004, 06:51:28 »
I was actually thinking of doing a Korea Campaign myself but honestly, couldn't be bothered. But in my research I did find some great info. This will help if your wanting realism in your mission(s).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/korea-crisis.htm

Good luck in making your mission/campaign.

Homefry31464

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2004, 00:22:31 »
Thanks mate, lots of information there.