Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: game improvements?  (Read 1822 times)

veston pants

game improvements?
« on: 21 Aug 2004, 18:27:17 »
Is there a forum here where you can put suggestions forward for game improvements?

A few annoying things in opf for me are:
When playing as a tank commander, you have to wait until your practically on top of the enemy or your gunner/driver spot em before you can open fire, I can usually spot the enemy and pick em off from a fair distance if I boot the gunner out the tank, so the rotating turret and zoom funtion for the commanders seat is pretty pointless. As a tank commander you should also be issued field glasses, and be able to sit in safety atop your tank directing fire via your field glasses. A tank is an awesome weapon, but in opf it's been reduced to a battering ram.

Commanding ground troops is another example of where you have to wait for your units to spot the enemy before any firing can take place.

Also the radio calls are a disadvantage coz no actions are taken until the info. has been reported and replied to by you.
an example: you've sneaked up on an enemy position with your squad, soldier 2 reports "enemy....1 o'clock...50" (which takes about 10 secs for him to say) you reply "2...target man"....10 seconds later and still no response, you say "2...report status",,,,,"oh no....2 is down"....

it's frustrating to lose a soldier coz he didn't have the brains to take out an enemy that was within slapping distance.

The problem I believe lies in the skill setting for AI, having 1 skill to govern how good the soldier is is unrealistic, I believe that there should be 3 or 4 skills:
1 for shooting targetting accuracy
1 for awareness of enemy
1 for movement undetected/stealth
and deffo 1 for driving ability, I've seen tanks arrive at destinations hours late coz they couldn't manouvre round a bush, just drive over it you fool (pulls out hair).

I hope codemasters address these issues in future releases.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
Re:game improvements?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2004, 18:32:51 »
this is off-topic :P this forums is only 4 editing questions... use the official forums (search 4 operation flashpoint in goold and find the official site... i never go there cuz it st00pid ;D  ::))

LCD OUT

[edit] oops i was thinkin its in the editing board :D lol

so everythin here is bout mision ideas... not 4 comments on game :P ;D
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2004, 18:47:32 by LCD »
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2004, 20:14:49 »
Commanding ground troops is another example of where you have to wait for your units to spot the enemy before any firing can take place.

Well, duh! How the hell you gonna kill something you cannot see?

I agree that detecting units when player can be frustrating from time to time. However, this can usually be solved by right clicking on them a few times. The enemy might've been better than your guy like you said in an example. OFP AI is stupid, but the "drawbacks" you light up I think is OFPs advantages. Wow, it's soooo realistic that your AI can see 1000 meters in every direction and in every bush and tree and behind every house and in his own bellybutton.

Just my 2 cents.

The skill idea is good though.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2004, 23:42:56 »
I have no idea what you are talking about with the tank stuff.... When you are commanding an AI gunner, all you have to do is right-click on an enemy (which you don't even need to see yourself; you can just use your radar), and then you will reveal the enemy and tell your gunner to target him. You can get guys from WAY beyond your view distance that way.

As for being on foot, you can just right-click on the guys via binocs or your weapon sights, like Armsty said. Then your guys know about the enemy, and you can then tell them to target them. You have an EXTREME advantage over enemy AI squads here, because by default the AI can't see very far (unless you tell the AI where targets are via the right-click). This means your squad can engage enemies from MUCH longer distances than they can engage you. I really hate that about OFP, but it can easily be fixed via the game's config.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

veston pants

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2004, 19:48:17 »
I dunno if it's the way the mission is designed, or if its just my OFP vers. But try replaying battle of houdan, the part where you have to assault the beach head, as a tank commander I can spot the RPG guys hiding in the bushes from miles away, right clicking furiously on them does ditto, even rolling right up to them and clicking does ditto, until your driver or gunner spots 'em there is no way to target 'em, which is a load of b*llox.
This happens in the numerous other tank based missions, so as a tank commander you can issue directions and fire commands, but are a bystander until 1 of your crew spots potential targets.
I haven't tried the right clicking furiously in ground troop based missions, but it'll probably be the same deal (or ending up with a broked mouse). I hope that codemasters address this issue in future releases.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2004, 15:46:41 »
I do not have this problem. I've never heard of anyone having it either. Might be a 1.00 problem.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2004, 16:50:47 »
I dont think this is a problem, if you see a guy, as tank commander you right  click him to draw the target box around him, your gunner will then swing the turret around, you hit the fire button and he opens up. Simple.

Hell, i just go into MG mode and press the fire button and the gunner usually kills people i cannot/did not spot!

veston pants

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2004, 15:49:16 »

Well, duh! How the hell you gonna kill something you cannot see?

lol, what I meant was that you cannot usually notify the rest of your troops to the whereabouts of potential targets, if I spot an enemy target whilst leading ground troops I usually resort to getting certain troops to face in that direction and crawl toward the enemy until 1 of em spots the target and takes him out, of course I lose a few units doing this, but I guess being a leader you sometimes have to make tuff decisions, especially as when I'm in charge of of a unit I usually become a mute.

Ahh well. F**k it!.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2004, 18:25:52 »
I don't think you are listening:

IF YOU RIGHT CLICK ON AN ENEMY, YOU WILL POINT HIM OUT TO YOUR TROOPS!

It even works when you aren't in charge of a squad. Then they can start firing on the enemy. It works REALLY well. You lay down on a hill over an enemy position, tell your men to hold fire, then whip out your binocs and call out all the targets in the enemy camp. Then you just tell your guys to open fire, and.... its like a turkey shoot. Especially since the enemies have no chance of seeing you until you open fire. Try it, and you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2004, 18:35:02 »
Speaking as someone who's remapped his RMB to 'optics', have you remapped or unmapped your 'Reveal' key??

veston pants

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2004, 19:42:10 »
Speaking as someone who's remapped his RMB to 'optics', have you remapped or unmapped your 'Reveal' key??

Cheers for bringin that to my attention ACF, that was exactly the problem, i'd assigned the right mouse button to zoom and left the reveal unassigned. Here I was thinkin I'd gone mental, or everyone else replying to this post had.. :D

Holy shit, I'll be able to play the entire campaigns over again now without having to kick my PC, or shoot all the members in my squad for being partially sighted morons.

Cheers dude... :thumbsup: