Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: D day  (Read 3568 times)

red devil

D day
« on: 22 Sep 2002, 14:49:05 »
I dont know if this is the right place to put this but never mind i am makin a d day mission and i was wonderin if there was anythig u lovely people would like to c in it.

HotShot

Re:D day
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2002, 16:30:29 »
New island. With craters. ;D

Spliff air

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2002, 11:37:04 »
realistic bunkers barbed wire troops landing craft naval units screams and a decent combat sound surrondings

Raiden

« Reply #3 on: 09 Oct 2002, 03:59:59 »
Spliff y dont you ask for the world wile your at it LOL, i would like to see at least a nice looking arty barrage and water affects IF and i stress this IF posiible.good luck tho  ;)
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2002, 04:00:40 by Raiden »

Black Magic

« Reply #4 on: 09 Oct 2002, 04:34:22 »
Scripted events. Scripted events really improve the atmosphere. For example, as in MOH:AA, have Engineers move up the beachline and blow those spikes in an attempt to clear the way for the tanks, and have like a leader order his group to advance and then all of them get taken out by a grenade. You get the gist. :-\

Frosty

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2002, 10:34:14 »
DEFINITELY NOT TOM HANKS. I dont wanna see my Captain staring down the beach blankly for half the invasion.
I would like to some AH-1s providing fire support, and some amphibious T80s - joking of course

Seriously, itd be cool to see amphibious Shermans, and bangalores and stuff like that. Perhaps you could use the command engine and play captain of a company - just dont be cap. miller or youll stare the morning away.

red devil

« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2002, 19:24:29 »
Black magic u are in 4 a treat u cnt move 4 the scrpted events this aint no run up the beach shoot some gunners and gameover in this pople capture germans they try to run and get shot other clear bunker by chuckin a granade in then waiting 4 people to run out then shoot them beforflaming the rest with flame thowers oh and i have new sounds and stuff a blowable shingle and lots lots more it istakin a lond time and i got gcse's so it will be out after christmas. and could people please tell me what scripted effects they would like 2 c and if you want me to do new modles (i have never done anything like that be4)

Captain Winters

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2002, 02:41:03 »
Whats worng wit Capn Miller? tom hanks kicks ass!

PS- hes the director of Band Of Brothers too!
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2002, 02:41:39 by Captain Winters »

Black Magic

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2002, 12:38:08 »
I'm with Miller - no more SPR remakes please! I noticed you said D Day, not Omaha, so please, avoid doing Omaha like so many people do because Hollywood choose only to potray that. Do some other beach. I wouldn't bother with models and stuff, leave that to the Mods, however I'd like to see stuff like sand mounds, wire fences and stuff. And aim for realism with it, like when you have barbed wire make a trigger in the wire area so if a player runs into it they get 0.05 damage or something. Hrm what else. Basic atmospherical stuff is good - shelling, screams and blank firing and so on. Custom island would be nice, that way you could implement in all your bunkers and stuff without using in game addons, meaning in return, less lag and more action. Do some research aswell. When you have a solid foundation I'll give you some more ideas. Bets of luck with it, i'm out.

recon

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2002, 07:35:42 »
Ive made a few little d-day missions of just the task of taking the beach, to put it mildly its impossible!!!! I have never completed the mission, it has five machine gun nests artillary bombardment and a few straggled german troops, I put in fiveteen higgins landing craft packed with allied troops  any more and it slows to a crawl.They all get killed in about thirty seconds! Ive tried to hide behind a hedgehog spike but as soon as you move, fizz-bang and you are biting the dust! reminisant of the moh beach landing mission, which anyone will tell you takes about three hundred tries before you crack it, but just a warning dont put in too many mg42's as it will make surviving very very unlikely, too the point of insanity!
  Anyway im looking forward to seeing everyone elses take on that fatefull day, so good luck and god speed. (recon)

Black Magic

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2002, 11:36:58 »
Well lag will always be an issue. In such a mission you'd really need to manage lag via scripting. Remove dead units, create the straggled German troops later on in the mission - you get the gist. With the Higgins, don't send 15 in at once, I know that would be more historically correct, but, for reason of game limitations send in 5, create and send in another 5, and so on. I mean even in MOH:AA there are only 5 Higgins but it really isn't noticeable and doesn't seem to bother anyone. There are alot of ways to work around lag, they are just a few. And make sure you don't unnecessarily take up PC power. If the player is in a Higgins farthest right, and you intend on blowing up a Higgins farthest left, don't fill that one with men, because it's just a waste as the player will not see it. The explosion and debris they see later is more than enough. 8)

As for MG fire, well, best bet is to reduce their skill level and maybe set up a script which gives them definite targets. For example, give them the command to shoot at object A, B, C, B, D, Player, A with a few seconds in between and then loop it. That way, only once in the cycle of about 30 seconds to a minute does the player get shot at, and if that doesn't kill them a straggler will or they may walk straight into the line of fire. ::)

Anyways. Alot of ways to work through any problems. So if you happen to encounter any while you make this make sure you ask around because it's about time we saw a half-decent beach landing mission. ;D

red devil

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2002, 00:07:57 »
Do not worry about a thing b m lag is my main prority EVERYTHING is scriped who the mgs fire at when the men move they hide go up in waves stuff like that they dont lie down an fireat the mgs as soon as they get out the boat everything. there will be a new island all it will be is malden (sp?) with with no trees rocks roads anything so lag is less (it works) with some suff on it bunkrs and tank stoppers, 1 prob is people wont fire at guns from behind the tank stoppers any1 know how i can get round thais at the mo they are like a meter away  ::) oh and 15 higgins will never work, this will be good (I hope) I have been workin on it a bit at a time since last Christmas and so far is lookin very cool even if I do say so myself  ;D and dont worry about the fizz-bang thing  :P I am tryin to make a script that says if u go in a trigger (put behind a hegehog (sp?) the dont fire at u if u move 4 a split sec givin u time 2 move this wil be done by checkin if u are SetUnitPos "UP" or not well it could work  ::) if I ever get round to it i will post some screens here and u black m will be the first I ask to betta test it is that ok?  

Black Magic

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2002, 13:07:17 »
I don't think you can make a guy shoot from behind a tank stopper because it would block his line of site. Best bet is if you can get the soldier as best hidden behind but still out just enough to be capable of making a shot - however this is difficult.
And when it's ready for Beta i'd be more than happy to check it out.

red devil

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2002, 19:32:16 »
hmm I tryed movi them around a bit but they refused to fire unles they where a meter away i will try again soon  :-\

Black Magic

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2002, 12:49:19 »
Mate, i'd appreciate an update, to see your progress rate, and perhaps a beta release date?
WOW I rhyme so well, I should be a rapper. Anyways. How goes the mission? With your problem, well, you know, if you really want to take it that added length, Maya and that RTM thing over at OFP Internals would allow you to create your own peek around animation. Just a thought, more work yes, but think of the credibility!

kevinfostereditguy

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2002, 00:21:50 »
how about having the player having a "setcaptive true" stance up to a certian point so the player can actually start the mission without getting gibbed on the boat?

Captain Winters

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2002, 02:24:29 »
hey a while back i made a "omaha beach" level on Malden. it had a couple of scripted events such as
    the beach fence fence blowing up
  • artillery bombardment moveing to the beach
  • a guy blowing up in front of you as you dash up the beach
  • and...
it even had real trenches. i abondoned it thouhg because as stated before. LAG!! But im thinking of going back to it because i'm getting a RADEON 9000 128mb SDRAM PRO video card! (YAY!)! hell i might as well post it up for beta testing tommorow. I'll warn them of the lag. look for it by next week sunday!