Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: PUKF Rescue Mission  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
PUKF Rescue Mission
« on: 18 May 2004, 12:42:17 »
Ok being the proud owner of the UKF BETA DPM pack, i am trying to churn out a decent mission that i can release with or soon after the pack. I will talk about it here so you can make suggestions, and that i can clear things up in my own mind. Oh and so i can get help on things i dont know how to do :D

Concept: Pilot of a recon aircraft shot down and captured over a Soviet occupied Everon. Its known he ejected on to the island, but further details arent known. Your 4 man Royal Marine Commando patrol (its a boat insertion, so....) are inserted with the mission to find out what happened to the pilot, if he is still alive, where he is, and if you find where he is, possibly attempt a rescue.

Type of mission aims to be realistic, hard......hard enough that its really really worth avoiding contact where you can (you dont want to waste your ammo too soon eh?), but yet at the same time, i dont want it so hard that its almost impossible to move.....the mission is going to be over a 2 hour job.....and is probably going to include a lot of walking....although there will be truck depots you could raid ect......but you have to weight up the risks (ie, running into a tank).....Basically, i'm after realism and freedom of choice for the player....in the nature of realism i will also think things through so that the player can use his common sense.....ie, you see a UAZ parked in an isolated area, there wont be 2 squads of infantry around (as 2 squads cant fit in a UAZ ::) ), there will be a maximum of 4 soldiers.....so logic and reasoning will work.

As you may have guessed the overall aim is to create a mission where the player has to think for himself, yet isnt too vague on what to do......

The objectives themselves are like clues along the trail. You can miss one out and still complete the mission, there are hard routes, easy routes....decisions you must make.

1st problem: In game brief......how shall i conduct this? There isnt alot known at the start, should i use a cutscene, with the map, or verbally through sidechat?

2nd problem: Interrogation.

You have an option to interrogate a base commander for information. I want to make this a tough decision.....do you have time for the interogation, or do you just want to go on your gut feelings (there are other clues in the base)?
I need some way of making the interrogation take enough time that its going to be a close run thing before enemy reinforcements arrive.....but not making it a dull process of standing around......maybe cutscenes should be avoided....maybe they should be used here? ::)

3rd Problem: Airport. If your initiative takes you, nip to the airport and check the records.....see if there were any prisoner transports, and if so to where......how best to conduct this? An interrogation with the airport commander? An office with files in it?  The trouble with the last option....if i was going to do this, i would use a building with several floors as the office.....how do i set up a trigger to only activate at a certain height?

Thats the problems ive encountered as far as i have got.

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
Re:PUKF Rescue Mission
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2004, 19:32:59 »
hey!

Great to see someone else keen to make a good ol' Brit mission, lol.

This is a great idea and now that the actual UKF DPM pack has been released you can use that and by the way you arn't the only one who is a proud owner of the DPM Beta pack   ;D

First of all your 1st querie, I think using map anim would be a good idea, that allways adds a bit of individuality to missions, grab the tut from the ed depot if you havnt already.

2nd querie, these guys might be The Royal Marines (and ask anyone I respect The Royal Marines a hell of a lot) but I don't think they are really stupid enough to do an on the spot interrogation in the heart of the enemys land, how about kidnapping the officer?

3rd querie, this would be a good idea and about raising the trigger this is possible, the command is, i think, in the on activation of the trig, name your trigger trig1, "trig1 setpos [(getpos this select 0),(getpos this select 1),20]

This should work the ",20" bit is the height if you hadn't already of guessed, lol.

good luck m8! ;D
sim

The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2004, 22:48:58 »
Well in regard to the 2nd query, thats the decision of the players. You can still complete the mission other ways, but if you take the risk, you get rewarded with a more direct route  ;) Maybe i will add a "kidnapp" option in......

Map anim is a good idea, i will try it out.

Thanks for the 3rd query.

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2004, 19:16:07 »
hey

i suppose the Royal Marines are risk takers, thats why they're so damn good!

No probs and can't wait to play your mission.    ;D

sim

Offline Hauk

• Members
  • I sail under the Jolly Roger!! Pirates are kings!!
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2004, 23:49:05 »
Hey Pathy,

For your mission briefing you could include the flight path of the plane as supplied by intel as a rough guide for the player and what time all contact was lost etc. Just stuff that'll lead the player to a rough guess of where he ejected so he isn't running around the whole island looking for the pilot.

For the intro i would show the pilot going about his normal operating procedures and then all of a sudden alarms start going off, there is an exchange of fire and then the pilot gets shot down (You may be able to include a hint as to where he went down in this).
Also if you can have it at night time where there would be more atmosphere, like having the intro seen through Night Vision.

The mission sounds great. :D

Good Luck,

Hauk

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2004, 17:43:42 »
Yeh sure, will do :)

Cutscenes arent my strenght but i will try my hardest  :)

Offline Hauk

• Members
  • I sail under the Jolly Roger!! Pirates are kings!!
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2004, 23:44:54 »
If you need help making the cutscenes just IM me, I will make the cutscene using the official models and then you can just create men and vehicles using the PUKF models and rename them to the names in the script. :D

Let me know if you need me :)

Hauk

PaulRPG

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2004, 19:34:27 »
hey, gd 2 see some british mission makers, I got a british mission up in Beta. The units work great but the prob is that after u paradrop the bayonet caommand duplicates itself.

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2004, 22:04:40 »
Noticed that, but soon as the only paradrop mission i have made is for Pathfinders, and they dont use the SA80, it doesnt bother me  :)

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2004, 22:06:24 »
hey

hmmmmm..... :-\ i never noticed that problem, oh well, i never really take notice of many things,  ;D

Hows the mission coming on???

sim

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2004, 22:09:56 »
Well, i kinda went on to easier things with my Pathfinder Co-op mission, but ive done that, so back to the RM mission now  :)

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2004, 22:24:09 »
hey

kool, just please don't let it die, im currently workin on UK missions and am tryin my best to make sure i don't give up!    ;D

sim

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2004, 22:56:00 »
Gonna try and keep it going.....

Still im also making addons which are just as important.  :)

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2004, 11:15:54 »
hey

good good, hmmm i wish i could make addons, wait let me rephrase that, i wish i had the patience to make addons but every time i've gone to sit down and learn, i've given up within the 1st few minutes... :-\

oh well...... ;D

sim

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2004, 19:48:34 »
hey Pathy!

You got any updates on how this is going?   ;D

sim

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2004, 18:21:17 »
Fraid not at all ATM, i will do some more at some point, but at the moment im making the entire Wiley X range lol.  :)

Offline Jonesy1991

• Members
Re: PUKF Rescue Mission
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2008, 22:38:02 »
sounds good fellas, how has the missiion come on...i notice it was about 4 years ago...hehe

Jonesy

Offline Denz

« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2008, 23:27:57 »
hmmmm.....
While there is an outside chance they may come back with a truly remarkable mission that has taken them four years to make.......

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you  ;)
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2008, 03:37:30 »
Hahaha, I saw someone browsing this topic from the userlist and thought 'hmm, wonder who's making a mission with our addons' - turns out it was me! Yes, I wouldn't hold your breath! I'd completely forgotten about this!

In the missing 4 years i've ended up joining UKF, joining the Army (and god, how incredibly naive my mission idea sounds to me now) albiet as a weekend warrior, and have gone half way around the world and back. Unfortunately the one thing I didn't ever do was finish this mission. Sorry!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2008, 15:43:47 »
So with all your experience, and hopefully new UFK releases, you can make a realistic rescue mission for Armed Assault?  ;)
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Jonesy1991

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2008, 15:23:32 »
Ah cool! Did you join as infantry? I hope to join up after University as an officer; but meh. Why is everyone using ARMa now? personally i think its roooobish. WANT MORE UKF ADDONS OF FLASHPOINT!!! (please)