Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AI Forward Observer & Mortar Packs V1.0  (Read 4554 times)

Unnamed

AI Forward Observer & Mortar Packs V1.0
« on: 17 Apr 2004, 02:00:45 »
Hi,

I am writing some AI Observer & Mortar packs for Flashpoint V1.91+, there are versions for SEBNAM and Invasion 1944 as well.

FCOFPMortars.pbo adds the following units to Flashpoint:

West - Observer
West - Observer (Sniper)
West - Black Op (Observer)
West - Black Op (Day Observer)
West - FC 80mm Mortar

East - Observer
East - Observer (Sniper)
East - Spetz Natz (Observer)
East - FC 80mm Mortar

Res - Observer
Res - FC 80mm Mortar

Along with some basic example missions:

Malden - OFP Mortars & Scripts.abel
Malden - OFP Observers & Mortars.abel
Malden - OFP Observers & Snipers.Abel
Malden - OFP Ranging & Firing.abel
Desert Island - OFP Players & Observers.Intro

FCSEBNAMMortars.pbo adds the following units to SEBNAM:

West - AirCav Observer
West - Army Observer
West - Marine Observer
West - SF Observer
West - LRRP Observer
West - SEAL Observer
West - MFR Observer
West - FC M19 Mortar (Air Cav)
West - FC M19 Mortar (Army)
West - FC M19 Mortar (USMC)

East - NVA Observer
East - VC Observer
East - FC NVA 60mm Mortar
East - FC VC 60mm Mortar

Along with some basic example missions:

Malden - SEBNAM Mortars & Scripts.abel
Malden - SEBNAM Observers & Mortars.abel
Malden - SEBNAM Observers & Snipers.Abel
Malden - SEBNAM Ranging & Firing.abel
Desert Island - SEBNAM Players & Observers.Intro

FCINV1944Mortars.pbo adds the following units to Invasion 1944:

West - 82nd Observer
West - FC Inv44 60mm Mortar

East - Wehrmacht Observer
East - Fallschirmjaeger Observer
East - Waffen SS Observer (Sniper)
East - FC Inv44 81mm Mortar

Along with some basic example missions for each version:

Malden - INV1944 Mortars & Scripts.abel
Malden - INV1944 Observers & Mortars.abel
Malden - INV1944 Ranging & Firing.abel
Desert Island - INV1944 Players & Observers.Intro

Addons:

FC SEBNAM Observers & Mortars

FC INV1944 Observers & Mortars

FC OFP Observers & Mortars

And there's a manual to:

Documentation

Here are a couple of screen shots from the SEBNAM version:

It's still not completley finished, somethings are added as a test and somethings have been disabled. I just want to know if the Observer acts in a semi-intellegent way, when directing fire. And can actually do something worth while.

The radio system I'm messing with, might be to much trouble or just plain annoying?

At the moment only decision it makes with regards to what target it engages, is number of units. I'm still not sure exactly what to include here.

Well theres probably more you can do with it than just Mortars. But for now, if your interested, let me know what you think.

Cheers

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2004, 16:13:03 by Unnamed »

Offline cj525

• Members
Re:AI Forward Observer & Mortar Packs V1.0
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2004, 04:56:34 »
Sounds very interesting, I was thinking of scripting a similar idea with the AI observer passing on coords of discovered unit to a nearby patrol to perform a sweep of area.  Sort of an LZ watcher senerio. Add that after you call in a mortar strike as a dammage accessment (find remaining survivors, and deal with them)

:cheers:.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2004, 04:57:52 by cj525 »

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm the next evolutionary step after a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2004, 07:57:36 »
This looks like a very good addon! D/Ling now. One problem though:
the FC OFP Observers & Mortars link is the same as the FC INV44 Observers & Mortars link. ???
I will check back when I get a chance to try them out.

Wadmann
Check out my Camouflage Collection! New items added 31 July 2005.

Unnamed

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2004, 17:29:38 »
@cj525

Yeah that's what I was thinking of next. It's written around the Mortars at the moment, because I wanted indirect fire.

There is no reason why you cant assign infantry, tanks and air support e.t.c to him. But that brings me to another addon I was thinking about, a mobile headquarters that links in with the Observers and makes the strategic decisions, based partly on what they can see.

@Wadmann

Doh! Fixed now.

Cheers

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2004, 08:35:35 »
Hey Unnamed!

I have been using your observers and they do add some distance to the game that was previously unseen! I have had some trouble getting my observer to look in the right direction though. I have tried "setdir" prior to trying "Call FO_SetScanArc". One thing about "Call FO_SetScanArc" is that it is relevant to North as 0 degrees. If I am reading it right, I can only limit the arc of rotation x degrees of 0 degrees or due north.

I also had some issues with an error popping up that stated something like "group returned,expected object" when the docs seem to call for a group name in that array. I will give greater details if I can repeat this problem.

All that I really wanted to accomplish was to have an observer travel with another group (but not part of the group) like an FO would. When a DSHK opens up on the truck that the two groups are riding in comes to a halt and I have the observer move to a nearby tree for cover then start calling in mortars that are part of his group. I have used the trigger correctly but the observer will look at about 200 degrees (just east of south) then start rotating until he sometimes completes the circle before calling in a strike at about 20 degrees some 500-600 meters away. I have also set the distance in my init to reduce to this same range and attempted to use "Call FO_SetScanArc" but this has it's own problems as stated above. Any tips to help me to get the observer to look at the DSHK threat first and call in multiple stikes before the other group advances into the no fire zone?

All in all a great addon and if I could just get it to do what I want it to do it will change the way alot of my missions are played! Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Wadmann

Unnamed

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2004, 11:21:43 »
I have been using your observers and they do add some distance to the game that was previously unseen! I have had some trouble getting my observer to look in the right direction though. I have tried "setdir" prior to trying "Call FO_SetScanArc". One thing about "Call FO_SetScanArc" is that it is relevant to North as 0 degrees. If I am reading it right, I can only limit the arc of rotation x degrees of 0 degrees or due north.

You have to use the DoWatch command. Even regular AI guys are not to good, at pointing in the direction you set in the editor. Give him a dowatch command using an XYZ position, and a second or two for him to get into position.

I also had some issues with an error popping up that stated something like "group returned,expected object" when the docs seem to call for a group name in that array. I will give greater details if I can repeat this problem.

If it happens again, then please send me a copy of the mission.

I have used the trigger correctly but the observer will look at about 200 degrees (just east of south) then start rotating until he sometimes completes the circle before calling in a strike at about 20 degrees some 500-600 meters away.

Try getting the position of the first enemy and set the Observer to watch that location. The scan arc should be relative to the direction he is looking when activated, so you should only have to alter it depending on how wide an area you want to scan.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2004, 16:39:18 »
Hi Unnamed!

Thanks for the quick reply to my problems! I will try the DoWatch command instead of the setdir command and see if that get my observer to react a little quicker. Good to know that O degrees is the direction the unit is facing when activated, not due north. One of my problems could stem from the fact that I have two different "Observer" units in the editor. I am not sure which one is the older one and which is the newer one. Is both observers do not use the same scripts then this may be why I am getting the error. If you had named both old and new just "Observer", perhaps you could rename one to an FC_ prefix much like your mortar addons.

I will let you know if everthing worked based on your tips. And I say again, I really like the way that this addon changes the way my missions are now played. :o

Wadmann                  

wi77ard

« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2004, 15:20:37 »
is there any way to make other addons able to use this?

for example the UKF british troops?

thanx

Unnamed

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 2004, 20:17:13 »
Is both observers do not use the same scripts then this may be why I am getting the error.

It could well be, you could delete the older version "Observer.pbo" as it is kind of obsolete. I did not think to test them together.

If you had named both old and new just "Observer", perhaps you could rename one to an FC_ prefix much like your mortar addons.

Good point, I will add the FC prefix to the editor description for the next versions.

And I say again, I really like the way that this addon changes the way my missions are now played.

Cheers, I'm looking forward to using Observers in my own MP mission at some point. The AI is hard pressed to match a players ability to spot units otherwise.

for example the UKF British troops

Yeah sure, I can add versions for the DPM troop Pack. But I did not see any Mortars?

My system wont really work with high velocity artillery or MRL's. Good news is, I'm talking with Dinger to get the Observer compatible with CoC's UA. So if UKF's big guns will work with UA then it's just a matter of waiting a bit longer for the full version. But you can still use it with the GFX's Mortars from the original pack, in the mean time.

I'm adding support for the FDF mod. So I will do that and UKF as a minor update, as I can do those relatively quickly. Apart from the usual config stuff, there is just a couple of arrays in the init functions to update.

Cheers

wi77ard

« Reply #9 on: 04 Jun 2004, 23:43:49 »
that would be great, would be nice to have a british looking FO when using the brit troops.

thanx

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #10 on: 06 Jun 2004, 17:25:59 »
I've mucked around with this...
:D
It's really good! :)

I've just mucked around on the des island test map.. But it's really easy to use etc

Maybe, as an update.. You could use a laser design to mark the targets (Look for snYpirs LD tut. It's good.. And I've got some code that works well too, PM if you want me to send it :))

Anyway, would be cool being able to give the unit a "weapon", ie a radio, so it works with everyone :)

Hmm, an other improment I jsut though of.. When the mortars are firing, say you want them to aim a bit to the left (Say because the enemy are moving), you can reclick the map, and if it's moved more than, i dunno, 20, they have to stop and redo the whole Read to fire, Fire! thing
But if it's only moved a little, they just move the tubes and keep firing (Like "Aim to the east a little")

Kinda like the feture in the CoC Artilary, after the rounds are complete, you can adjust the aim via the action menu.. But not during the firing

Just sugestions, though :)
BTW, I downloaded the SEBNAM version
- Ben

Unnamed

« Reply #11 on: 07 Jun 2004, 00:08:54 »
I've mucked around with this...

It's really good!

I've just mucked around on the des island test map.. But it's really easy to use etc

Thanks

Maybe, as an update.. You could use a laser design to mark the targets (Look for snYpirs LD tut. It's good.. And I've got some code that works well too, PM if you want me to send it )

I wanted to do something like this:

There was an m113 Mortar Carrier addon, but the mortar was fixed into position. Now I know a bit more about O2 I could see if they would let me change it.

Anyway, would be cool being able to give the unit a "weapon", ie a radio, so it works with everyone

It takes some training to call in indirect fire, I like the idea of the Observer being someone you would have to protect. He should probably have a guy with him carrying the radio?

Hmm, an other improment I jsut though of.. When the mortars are firing, say you want them to aim a bit to the left (Say because the enemy are moving), you can reclick the map, and if it's moved more than, i dunno, 20, they have to stop and redo the whole Read to fire, Fire! thing

But if it's only moved a little, they just move the tubes and keep firing (Like "Aim to the east a little")

Kinda like the feture in the CoC Artilary, after the rounds are complete, you can adjust the aim via the action menu.. But not during the firing

I cheat a bit there, I cant adjust fire properly like CoC's UA. I'll give it a go, should be able to speed it up a bit, as long as there are no major changes in elevation when adjusting.

Cheers

Stinky Nut Rappa

« Reply #12 on: 03 Dec 2004, 18:02:49 »
i really like the idea of mortars
some smoke mortars would be pretty cool as well
i must ask though. are the mortars carriable?
and what size crew will be needed to carry and man it?
your idea for making nam and wwii versions is good as well
keep it up, you've got a good mod coming along

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #13 on: 06 Dec 2004, 00:04:53 »
very nice pack, AI mortars work well,
only one bug i saw. with AI observers, the mortars start firing, or at least the whistling starts, before the AI observer says start firing.

i was trying to find if the mortars really fired or if u were just scripting it, so i moved my self near them and watched as they fired, i couldnt really tell if they were so i kept going closer as they fired. untill BOOM! i was blown to pieces(i had accidentally stood infront of the barrel of one of the mortars) that cleared me of all doubts :)

nice work!

i like the fact that you made it a lot simpler then coc arty.

maby u should work on some phosporus rounds. or maby airbusts.

but remember,
keep it simple for the player

thanks for this neat arty system

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2004, 03:53:44 »
the link for the manual in the readme is not working.

I can not figure out how to get the mortars to fire with the AI observer, i only can get it with the range and fire.

how do u get the AI observer to fire the mortars in his comand????

Unnamed

« Reply #15 on: 06 Dec 2004, 07:29:03 »
Thanks for the heads up on the documentation, link should be ok now.

I'm using just the standard Inv44 & SEBNam addons, I would have thought they will be making UA versions from now on. But if you know of another addon that uses smoke rounds already, let me know. I can probably add the ammo to my config.

Coc have an excellent system now, but I have a revised version for my Observer sat on my hard drive, supporting modern and more WW2 units:

Deltas/Rangers By Ballistic Addon Studios
Retextured Guerillas by Ivan/Edge Of The World
WW2 French Infantry
Liberation 1941-1943
Marine Assault Pack v1.0
WW2EC

I've fixed some other bugs and cleaned up the configs, I'll try and sort out the delay in the Fire command to. If there are any infantry addons you want adding just say, although I'm not sure when I will finish.

Cheers

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: 09 Dec 2004, 06:14:56 »
link still dont work.  :P
please explain how to get arty to work.

i cant set up my own.

i tried it on kulgujev but it doset work at all.
i think the mountins might be blocking it or somthing.

also the arty is a little to acurate, they can hit the exact same spot over and over again. maby make the mortars dispersal just a tad higher. ;)

Unnamed

« Reply #17 on: 09 Dec 2004, 09:26:37 »
This works ok for me:

Documentation

But I posted a mini tutorial over at the offical forums:

Tutorial

Yeah the dispersion\accuaracy for all the addons probably needs to be adjusted. I did plan on adding something user definable in the scripts to compensate.

Cheers

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2004, 05:20:34 »
u really ought to make the fire less acurate only for the mortar fire without the observer. the observer fire should stay the same

Unnamed

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2004, 16:21:57 »
I always looked on the script based firing as being more like Target Reference Points. Seen as OFP's has no real variable wind e.t.c. I did not expect much dispertion, other than what was setup in the original addons.

The Observer should really go though the ranging process, with the initial volley's on a new target missing their mark.

Unnamed

« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2004, 10:25:05 »
Nice one, cheers.

I've downloaded it now, so you can remove it if you want. You can awlays mail me with any updates e.t.c

I will give the mission a try ASAP, and I will be updating the addon with your suggestions. It's just I'm almost at the end of an eight month project, so I want to concentrate on getting it into a finished state.

Thanks

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2005, 18:19:34 »
hows the next version coming,i really liked these and would really like to see them come out.

UNN

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2005, 15:18:24 »
Hi,

I have to wait until the end of Febuary to get my home internet connection back up. So I'm using the time to get my current stuff finished. Hopefully I will get to update and host the new Observers when I get back online. If not, it wont be long after that.

Cheers