Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Netscape Problems?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
Netscape Problems?
« on: 06 Feb 2004, 03:43:59 »
Hay Guys, great job...ofpec is back online...*waves hands*

but besides all this shiny happy people i'm affraid to put the finger on a little bug...

Can it be theres a problem when using Netscape? In the Editors depot, i'm not able to expand the menu on the left (which works perfectly with IE, but i don't like IE  ;))

I just have the Main categories there (Latest&Greatest, Online references, Tutorials, Scripts and so on), all with a
  • in front of it, which i take as Icon to expand the Categories.

I hope you see what i mean, my english is far away from beeing perfect  ;D

But beside this problem you do a great job and it's good to have all the excellent tutorials and scripts back at hand.

3 thumbs up (told my wife to give me one more)

Homefry31464

Re:Netscape Problems?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2004, 03:49:52 »
Hmm, not sure about your problem.  Until you get a definite answer, use the search function to find what your looking for.  Good luck!

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2004, 04:08:31 »
Hi myke13021,

What exactly do you see next to each heading?
, or ?

The Plus and Minus show categories that can be expanded, contracted.
But if you see the third, it means they can't.

And can you see the "Expand All" option at the bottom? That should help in the meantime.

Its likely to be an issue specific to Netscape, but we'll get someone on it for you. :)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2004, 04:17:52 »
thx for your fast reply guys...

@Homefry

I use IE as long it wont work on netscape....but i'm not happy to use MS crap  ;)

@Noon416

It is definately the http://www.ofpec.com/images/site/ec_header_bullets-contracted.gif i see there.  Mouse courser reacts on this (means it switches from pointer to hand) but no effect when clickin it.
Also the "Expand all" doesn't work on Netscape.

I would be really happy if i could use my fav Browser to surf along the best OFP editing site.

Thx again lads

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2004, 06:42:08 »
Strange. I wrote those menus and I use Mozilla exclusively. Are you logged into the Ed Depot when this happens? Try clearing out your cache and reloading the page.

When you say there is 'no effect' by clicking on the menu, do you mean nothing happens at all, or the page refreshes but the menus stay the same?

Perhaps your browser thinks the page is the same and it's loading it from your cache?
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2004, 13:55:22 »
@toadlife

I don't want to offend you, you do a excellent job. I guess it's something wrong with my Netscape. But i can't figure out what.

Tried now your suggestions and cleared the Browser Cache and reloaded the site. The problem is still the same.

Took a closer look now and i can say, when i click on it, in the status bar at bottom it says "transferring data from......" but the displayed page (and also the menues) stays at "Welcome to the OFPEC Editors Depot!".

I'm sure there must be a noobish error at my side since you wrote the menu's with Mozilla and i'm very thankful for your help.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2004, 20:23:37 »
I'm using Mozilla v 1.6 and everything works fine at my end.

The menus expand and contract just fine.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2004, 15:31:06 »
could it be a special setting into the Netscape preferences has to be turned on/off for the menu work correctly? or could it be a firewall issue?

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2004, 16:51:28 »
nope it can't be a firewall issue, but wich version of netscape are u using m8?

Cause mozilla, wich is the same engine, works fine.
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2004, 17:02:54 »
Actually, Mozilla doesn't use the same engine anymore, but I see no reason why Netscape (as long as it's a relatively new version, such as 6+) shouldn't display it properly.

I think it might have something to do with the browser caching the page(s), so try flushing the page cache (never done it in Netscape, so you'll have to find out how for yourself) and see what happens.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2004, 10:36:12 »
nope it can't be a firewall issue, but wich version of netscape are u using m8?

Actually sometimes webcaches can cause this sort of thing. Some ISP's and corporate networks use hardware based web caches that cache web pages to save bandwidth, and sometimes they screw up and wont let you refresh certain pages. If it is this, then there is not much you can do - except wait a week for the cache to expire - or try using Internet Explorer.  >:(
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2004, 11:11:18 »
thx for all replies...

@toadlife

i'm using Netscape 7.1 and i already tried to clear the cache...didn't helped.
And as i wrote in the original post, with IE it works fine, so it must be a Netscape related prob.

Sure, i could use IE instead Netscape, but i don't trust MS very much (and i'm sure i'm not the only one  ;D )

I am certain, it must be some setting which is switched off in my Netscape, already checked what it could be, but Java and Cookies are on and further i don't know which other setting could be related with this sort of problem.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2004, 01:58:28 »
myke13021,

Sorry to hear the problem still persists.
When I get home, I'll download and try Netscape, see if I can replicate your issue.

In the meantime, there are good alternatives to IE.
Mozilla is my personal preference, but you can also try Mozilla FireFox (browser only), or Opera.

Have go with these, you might find you like them just as much.

I'll let you know if I have the same issue with NS about Monday night/Tuesday.

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2004, 06:38:35 »
I'm using IE and I can't expand them either!

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2004, 17:13:52 »
Hay, i dunno what you did, but now all menus are expanded and all works fine. Great work lads.

www.ofpec.com

the only site you'll ever need for OFP  ;D

:edit:

duh....found something out...when i'm logged in, the menu's aren't expanded and i can't them expand manually, neither by clicking on the + nor by choosing "Expand all".
When i log out, all menu's are expanded with a * in front of it.

Strange thing isn't it?

I didn't recognized this before, because i was always logged in....today i was shortly logged out and then i encountered this.

Hope these info's helps you to help me...lol :o
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2004, 17:20:23 by myke13021 »

Offline Tillverkad

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2004, 18:57:26 »
I have exactly the same problem as myke. And I'm using IE 6.  :P

Kammak

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2004, 23:56:41 »
Same problem, MSIE 6 on NTServer 4.

Can you guys post a page with plain links to the hidden stuff so we still get to it?  Please?

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2004, 04:37:47 »
ya im getting this problem too. i click on the expand button page loads but nothing happens :-X. i also use IE
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2004, 04:38:37 by oyman »

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2004, 05:13:14 »
Ok, I think I know exactly what is happening here. I have a feeling you guys are double clicking on the expand buttons. Double clicking with toggle the menu twice (open and close/close and open) in your profile - essentially accomplishing nothing.

If I have time, I'll reprogram the menus so they are double click proof.

Offline Tillverkad

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2004, 09:21:21 »
Some links.

Tutorials: http://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?browsewhat=1
Scripts: http://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?browsewhat=2

Just change the number after browsewhat to see different stuff. :)

And I'm not double-clicking them, and the expand all button doesn't work.

And one more thing, when I click links in tutorials to other tutorials, something like this comes up.

Code: [Select]
Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/www/ofpec/editors/tutorial_view.php on line 4

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/www/ofpec/editors/tutorial_view.php:4) in /usr/local/www/ofpec/editors/tutorial_view.php on line 5
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2004, 09:27:26 by Tillverkad »

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2004, 00:08:58 »
@ toadlife

neg, Sir...definately NOT clicking double on it.....but i tried it once, just to make sure it doesn't need doubleclicks  ;D

But as i posted before...

I am logged in on the Forum = no expanded Menus at all
I am NOT logged in on the Forum = i get expanded Menus...but now i can't collapse them...lol...but with this i could live.

Just to say it clear...i got it working, somehow, but i guess this isn't the way it was meant to be....so take it as some sort of "bug reporting"

I know you do all this in your free time and you do a damn good job, so don't think this minor problem would put you in a bad light at all. (I'm trying to make a compliment, i hope you'll recognize it  ;D)

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2004, 03:12:16 »
Try clicking on 'collapse all' - your menu settings might be corrupted somehow in the databse. The collapse all link will clear out the settings completely.

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2004, 05:17:38 »
@toadlife

thx mate for your help, but i'm affraid to tell you it didn't worked.

It looked like it reloaded the site, but the problem still persists as in the beginning.

Loup-Garou

« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2004, 13:39:46 »
I have the same problem (with Microsoft Internet Explorer) : I can't expand the options (functions, FAQ...)  in the editor depot  >:(

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2004, 13:57:46 »
More information please, Loup-Garou. ::)

Have you read through and tried everthing in this thread?
We need more information on what you have and haven't done before we can help...