Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The big Race  (Read 1463 times)

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
The big Race
« on: 17 Oct 2003, 21:07:26 »
here's an idea ive got for an mp game

8 players work in teams of 2 in a jeep with MG and the idea is to get to a finishing point in any direction or shortcuts (if you know any) but also going through several checkpoints on the way and you HAVE to go through these or you wont win and the first team to the finishing point and has gone through ALL checkpoints wins.

i know what your thinking, boring eh.

well thats why you have the jeeps with MG's because, if you see any other teams......you get to shot them ;D making it a bit more competetive (and no respawns either! lol)

i think this would be a change from the bog standard "kill someone/something" missions and also a bit more fun lol

(i sorta got the idea for this from watching "wacky races" lol ;D)

GrimMonkey

Re:The big Race
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2003, 00:59:25 »
All terrain?

THAT would be sweet.

Maybe you could put up a few ramps, maybe ambush another team...
Pretty cool idea, build up on it :thumbsup:

Beware the GrimMonkey

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2003, 09:35:05 »
well the only limit is what the jeeps can go on and you have to go through chekpoints too lol

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2003, 15:28:11 »
Hmmm... Good idea. But you have to increase the jeeps and the players health so it would be a bit more fun, now you'll just shoot at the start and then the other players would be dead or lost their jeep.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

deaddog

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2003, 17:02:02 »
Hey KJAM,

I've worked on something similar but I didn't think anyone would be too interested.  Plus it's hard to test an MP game by yourself.  But here is the premise:

Up to eight human players start out together on foot, no weapons.  In front of them are several of the Kawasaki dirt bikes (could be BAS or the individual one from SelectThis).  I like the individual one because the m/c unit wears a helmet.

There are 10 objectives (flagpoles) spread out around the map in random locations each time.  The player must get within about 5 meters from the pole to get credit for the objective (and be off the vehicle).  Get all 10 objectives, you win.

Each objective earns a new weapon, starting out with pistols, then grenades, then a rifle, etc.  With the 6th objective, you get the ability to place an anti-personel land mine.  

If a player gets killed in any way, he loses an objective (a random one if he has more than one).  Damaged vehicles can be repaired by any player (as long as he is dismounted).  The motorcycles tend to get damaged easily.

When a player gets 5 objectives, they earn a dune buggy, the one from Sebastian Müller.  This gives the ability to use the grenade launcher on the buggy (yeah  :))  But, the first player to get five objectives becomes "IT".  His location is tracked on the map for all to see.  When a players kills the "IT" player, he gets on objective awarded to him automatically but now becomes "IT".

There are also a few EAST armored vehicles around the map, just to make things interesting.  They move in large patrol zones.  There are no points awarded for killing them, they are just there to kill you  ;D

This type of games makes it fun to learn new islands because you have to go all over it to find the flags.  It is easily adapted to any large island. I started on Nogova but have made versions on other islands as well.  I've never tested them with other human players.  I have loaded the game on both my computers and all the communications codes seem to work ok.  Mainly communicating messages about what is happening with the other players (ie, DEADOG has two objectives, or DEADOG has lost an objective, etc)

I can post the mission if you'd like.

deaddog

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2003, 17:30:06 »
Here it is, anyway  ;)  

This is the Everon version:

Addons required:

SelectThis Kawasaki KLR250 dirtbike:
http://opflashpoint.org/addons.php?v=387

DuneBuggy Military version addon by S.Muller:
http://www.tacticalblunder.com/~buggy/

goto addons section.  I couldn't get a direct link.

Just remember that it goes in the MPmissions folder.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2003, 17:31:07 by deaddog »

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2003, 19:35:58 »
@ armstrong the players would start separate from each other but have to travel the same distance to the finishline

@deadog
yeah most of my ideas are similar to yours ill hafta try it later.......ofp doesnt wanna work for me today lol

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2003, 20:09:03 »
i neeed help witht he checkpoints for a test i have 3 triggers which i was planning that you had to go through the first 2 before you would be able to activate the 3rd trigger which just plays a sound when you get there here is how i have them set up

Trigger 1

ACTIVATION : West
Condition : this
on activation : trig1=true

Trigger 2

Condition : trig1
on activation : trig2=true

Trigger 3

Condition : trig1 AND trig2

and then it is supposed to play a sound once you have been through Both checkpoints, and then go into the 3rd........in theory anyway plays a sound, the only problem is i olnly activate the 1st trigger and then i hear the sound (which is only played in trigger 3)

can anyone help me, of course there are gonna be more than 3 checkpoints but i need to be shown where im going wrong

deaddog

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2003, 20:32:08 »
make sure you set trig1 and trig2 = false in the init.sqs file.  Not initializing variables like that can sometimes cause problems.