Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Mines  (Read 1632 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Mines
« on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:07:28 »
Hi all!

I'm making this mission(No kiddn?!)where you have to deactivate a mine. So I need a lot of realistic info:

• How do you deactivate a mine?
  • How deep are mines dug?
  • How sensitive is a mine? I mean if you just touch it with your finger will it go off?
  • What's the differences between mine types, and could you give me some names of different types?
  • Etc.
I want to know everything about mines, I wanna do this REALLY realistic, so just pump info in me, the more the better. Thanks very much!

:beat: *Gets Mined* :beat:

Drozdov

Re:Mines
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:23:00 »
A mine is designed to go off when an object over a certain weight pushes on it (presuming it's a standard pressure type mine rather than a fancy Claymore type mine). Therefore the weight of a finger shouldn't really set it off as long as the mine is well made. Heavy anti-armour mines obviously only activate when an object of several tonnes squishes it, so therefore it would be impossible to set it off as a human. Once your inside the mine it's probably a different matter.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:26:19 »
OK, I'm thinking about turning the mine upside down or maybe open a hatch or something, will that blow up?

Drozdov

« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:32:39 »
It shouldn't, unless it's been made badly. Some mines may be designed to blow up when something like a hatch is opened, but then, they would have to have some way in for their own mine layer people when they wanted to move the mine.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:35:20 »
OK. I thank you for the information, it's very helpfull. (Adds Drozdov to thank you notes, not that I'm going to release the mission anyhow, I NEVER release a mission :'( )

Any other takers? :-*

Drozdov

« Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:52:32 »
Adds Drozdov to thank you notes

Aww, I'm touched.  ;)

And I never get anything finished either... I spend more time talking about missions here than actually making them. I also usually start on a new idea as soon as I'm halfway through another mission.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:56:15 »
Yea, we should do something together, then we oughta complete it. ½ mission + ½ mission=complete mission ;D

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Drozdov

« Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2003, 21:30:44 »
Or just two versions of the first half of a mission.  ;)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:01:33 »
How do you deactivate a mine?

You blow it up. Usually the military doesn't risk lives trying to defuse a mine. They just dig down next to it, place a block of C4 down there, then blow the damn thing up. Problem solved. Another similar method is to use a bangalor torpedo, which is basically a small explosive on the end of a stick; you run the stick right up next to or under the mine, then blow up the explosive. This method is only used in the heat of battle, however.

There is also a quick way to get a path through a minefield. There is a certain type of machine that can shoot basically a rope with a bunch of c4 attatched to it accross the field. Then the C4 is all blown up, clearing a path through the  minefield. Just to be safe though, an armored bulldozer is driven through the path to push aside or detonate any surviving mines.

What's the differences between mine types, and could you give me some names of different types?

There is a $hit load of mine types, but there are a few that are the most common. Go to the chain of command's website, and download their mine addon. It includes some of the most common mine types used. Even if you don't use these in your mission, you can still see how the mines work. Make sure to look at the notes section of the example missions.

How deep are mines dug?

Depends on the mine; some are just a couple inches down, some are a foot or more deep.

HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #9 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:17:56 »
Thanx Barron! *Adds to thank you notes*

But is there really no "real" way of disarming mines, like you do with bombs? Cut the wires and such.

Homefry31464

« Reply #10 on: 03 Oct 2003, 01:32:00 »
I think it was on Mail Call a while ago, and they have re-run's a lot.  If not, ask him.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #11 on: 03 Oct 2003, 02:42:23 »
Yes its possible to disarm a mine, just like any other trap or bomb. My point was that in real life that would almost never happen, because then there is a risk that the mine goes off, killing the person trying to disarm it. It's safer just to blow it up from somewhere safe.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!