Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Kids with guns  (Read 1571 times)

RifleMania

Kids with guns
« on: 06 Mar 2004, 21:52:43 »
Not sure if anyones posted on this subject but...

Has anyone made any models of kids? It seems quite unrealisic having adults, dogs and horses but no children? ???

j-man

Re:Kids with guns
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2004, 23:12:39 »
There has been lots of discussion about this topic. I think that there is a child addon in the Singapor armed forces mod (it's actually just a man that has been resized)

Ball Zack

« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2004, 23:28:44 »
The problem with modeling "kids" in OFP is that the people in OFP can be killed.  Although it may be realistic to simulate armed children in a modern warefare enviornment, (a guy that I knew had to shoot some children in Bosnia when they charged his platoon), OFP was designed for "entertainment".  And having children simulated on the virtual OFP battlefield isn't my idea of a "good time"....

RifleMania

« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2004, 23:31:22 »
Could you please provide me with a link to that download page. (My singaporian aint brill :-\)

Thx

Homefry31464

« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2004, 01:29:39 »
Another problem is animations, they won't work right on the smaller models.  Ever noticed how all the soldiers are the exact same height??  

See, some argue that killing children is wrong, which I tend to agree with.  The others say that children fighting happens in war, so what is wrong with simulating it.  Both sides have valid point.

And, on a side note, try to destroy a church in OFP.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2004, 10:01:53 »
Not sure if anyones posted on this subject but...

Its actually been raised many many times in the community. :)

The general result of these discussions has been that the community is more against the idea than for it.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 07 Mar 2004, 10:45:01 »

And, on a side note, try to destroy a church in OFP.

place a LGB next to it?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

RifleMania

« Reply #7 on: 07 Mar 2004, 11:16:45 »
Or maybe instead of simulating them getting killed, maybe just for cutscenes...like 3.00pm,(or whatever) kids coming home from school or something, it would make it look more realistic.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2004, 11:19:05 by RifleMania »

RifleMania

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2004, 11:55:57 »
Hey has everyone got bored of this????? ???

xenofanes

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2004, 14:25:41 »
Children could also be used in hostage missions and (as already mentioned) in cutscenes.
Another thing; if we can't simulate children getting killed, then why is it OK to let grownups die  ??? Answer me that! Both things DO happen. Just because we make a mission about it doesn't mean we approve of it.

Jakerod

« Reply #10 on: 01 Apr 2004, 01:28:21 »
I am kind of split on the debate, while it would add to the realism it would feel very wrong to be shooting kids.

and on a sidenote about the churchs, try the grey ones on nogova and the really small ones on Malden and Everon they can be destroyed. Plus you also have the one on Kolgujev and Nogova that is missing a few walls and a roof.

Kojak

« Reply #11 on: 01 Apr 2004, 16:39:16 »
My 2 cents here:

Making a couple of kids would be nice because it would add realism, not only because kids are killed and maimed every day (remember the Iraqi guy without arms?) but because they do exist in the world: if OFP should be the simulator which it is supposed to be, kids would be necessary: for cutscenes, as victims and even targets.
OFP is going forward at a tremendous speed: a couple of days ago a farmland addon was released; I have seen a wheelchair and a piano and there is an entire mining company. None of these things have anything whatsoever to do with combat or fighting, but it all adds up to the realism that should be a background for - IMO - every time the player sets his foot on an island with the purpose to kill something.

That said, a world/island should be a civilian one with the military moving in it, not a military world with civilians.

sanam

« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 2004, 18:29:09 »
Putting an end to this everlasting discussion...

-Kids are yet to be made and animated. That's a point. I know the Sing'mod, haven't seen a kid.

-Once we have some, the conscious mission-maker will use them as hostages, hence if killed you're out, or draw a "watch the kid" script that would disavow the player if anything happens to them.

-Missuse of kids can be prevented if for instance, OFPEC issues a clear statement on what's authorized and what's not from their point of view.

It's effectivelly a matter of choice, that's all. One choice CAN be made by OFPEC Staff, why not ? Once we do have a line drawed, anybody can stand for or against.
It's never negative to take position on sensible matters.
nobody likes the idea of censorship, and no, one cannot allow everything to happen.... Anothe debate.

I pesonnally stand for the free use of children, with the Editing Centre making choices on what's acceptable upon reviewing, with the ability to revoke the mission' author access to the site in case of extreme violence or unappropriate use of it.

That's a proposition.

PeacePunk out.

Dubieman

« Reply #13 on: 01 Apr 2004, 22:15:55 »
I'd agree that adding kids makes it more real and I think we should stop bitching about what's right and what's wrong and let someone have at it.