Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Counter Sniper  (Read 2984 times)

PathFinder

Counter Sniper
« on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:22:40 »
Hello

Ok heres the idea, You are part of the invading force in Iraq and are pinned down in one of the cities by an Opposing Sniper e.g Basra. Anyway you are deployed to the city or location. There you have to hunt for the sniper and take him out. You could make maybe a script where the sniper takes a shot then relocates to a new position.

max_killer_payne

Re:Counter Sniper
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:27:37 »
Kinda like Enemy At The Gates?? Isnt it  ;) It wud b good but hard to script and make.

Gooner861

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2003, 13:27:55 »
Isnt there already a script for that somewhere in the editors depot?

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2003, 16:28:58 »
Isnt there already a script for that somewhere in the editors depot?

yup.

aazell

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2003, 17:17:38 »
Why Iraq?

It's a dull theatre of war.

The original Islands that came with the game would be far better for sniper hunting than a shed load of endless sand dunes and a shack every now and again.

Rolling hills with large forests and coastlines is what OFP does well.

Try playing Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Now that's good desert warfare. (Well dry african warfare at least.)

This mission will come off so much better in that kind of environment.

Just my opinion.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2003, 21:12:31 »
Somalian landscape isn't too inddiferent to Iraq... the fact that BHD was based in a city.... and Basra... well... its a city.... ooooh, look, maybe its not so boring  ;)

and Iraq isnt exactly the 'odd shack every now and then' - sounds more like american midwest and little house on the prairie... but seriously... yes, the desert areas would be a tad boring... but rubble, destroyed buildings, high points etc etc... thats sniper paradise, and unit hell - i think thats what he's getting at  :D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

bigdog632

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2003, 23:03:01 »
urban counter sniper is a pain a server i play at has a BAS mission in bobochino in the lahta island and thats a pretty small citybut whent he buildings are packed with snipers is real tough to flush them out

that wake island map looks like a fun one for counter sniper it even has tall grass to crawl through

PathFinder

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2003, 01:47:08 »
"but rubble, destroyed buildings, high points etc etc... thats sniper paradise"

^Thats what i'm getting at

and it doesn't have to be in Iraq that was just how i saw it happening, aazell i have played BlackHawk down and nearly everysingle mission was played in a city.

Cyas

Phantom

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2003, 11:06:27 »
think about this.
in basra, if a sniper fires, there would be brit soldiers watching the area from a distance, and as soon as the bloke relocates !!BLAM!! he's taken down by another sniper. Too easy. Artillery could do the job, a tad indiscriminate though. Gunships are more likely.

aazell

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2003, 13:04:29 »
Sorry I think you misunderstood my point.

I was saying that games such as Delta Force: BHD are more ideal for the inner city areas.

OFP does not do buildings well.

Aaz

max_killer_payne

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2003, 14:47:49 »
Exactly, he would be spotted and then the Brits wud probably call for air support. And then BOOM there goes the church tower

bigdog632

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2003, 00:46:18 »
put it on a nam style island with all the trees and bushes to run around in
that mosin nagant is fun

Offline ZeekLTK

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2003, 06:53:09 »
Exactly, he would be spotted and then the Brits wud probably call for air support. And then BOOM there goes the church tower

You could have it so that the Brits radios aren't working or something. they have no outside help at all, it's just them and the sniper, and they have to figure out how to take him out.

PathFinder

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2003, 07:05:46 »
in basra, if a sniper fires, there would be brit soldiers watching the area from a distance, and as soon as the bloke relocates !!BLAM!! he's taken down by another sniper. Too easy. Artillery could do the job, a tad indiscriminate though. Gunships are more likely.

Allied forces would not call in Artillery or gunships on a civilian populated area. Even if it wasn't populated they still would call in art or gunships, its not worth using a barrage of arty on one man whom you have no idea where he is located.

Snipers are the masters of Infiltration and Exfiltration and are the ultimate in camoflouge. Statistically you have got a 90% chance of spotting the sniper when he/she fires the shot.

The best way to get rid of a sniper is to deploy a sniper.

Its like me saying back in Vietnam if a VC sniper fired a shot killing a soldier from the jungle you think the soldiers are going to deploy arty? the answer is no. theu deploy there own snipers.

Like I said in my original post about it being in a city "E.G" basra, it didn't have to be in basra. and it didn't have to be in Iraq. it was just how i saw it happening.

I hope this cleared a few things up. I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything sorry if i did.

Cya

Phantom

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2003, 11:11:17 »
i've seen footage of gunships around populated areas in iraq mate, so don't tell me it didn't happen. what about somaila, when gunships were sent to wreak havoc in a militia meeting. it happens. and yes, they would, if this one man, is taking out man after man, and they need to get into that city, a gunship is extremely likely.

PathFinder

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2003, 12:58:21 »
Ok....Ok

Jeez this is turning into a conflict of its own, lol. Anyways so maybe your right and maybe i'm wrong. But who cares the main thing here is the mission idea.

Besides i don't want to fight with just bout the only other Aussie on this board.

Cyas

Homefry31464

« Reply #16 on: 02 Aug 2003, 03:47:21 »
You can still do it.  It doesn't have to be in the city.  My idea:

You and your spotter are sent to a location to plot enemy patrols.  Another sniper group, watching the enemy base, report in and say an enemy sniper team is headed in your direction.  He sets up position north of you, and a friendly patrol reports they are pinned down by an enemy sniper.  You must take them out, but the shots signal east and west alike.  You must support the men then, so its not just a counter-sniper role.