Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Whats best for a mission?  (Read 3782 times)

Gooner861

Whats best for a mission?
« on: 20 Jul 2003, 17:47:29 »
In a mission i always look for a gud story/plot, wot do u think is best for a mission? Story, action, pure fun or anything else.

SharkDog

Re:Whats best for a mission?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2003, 18:23:54 »
A good combination of all three.

_hammy_

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2003, 18:55:27 »
whats best in a missions...

Cool scripts
Good sutscenes
A good story

yep, thats bout it.

MPKING

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2003, 19:18:28 »
All the above and...
Action, lot's of things to shoot at, large scale intence realistic battles although it's pretty hard to make substained firefights in OFP (AI shoots to damn well, just found a nice bulletspray script in scripts/betatesting though ;)).

bigdog632

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2003, 22:58:57 »
limit the addons, makes it easier to get playing when you dont have to download 40MBs worth of addons for one mission/campaign

max_killer_payne

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2003, 22:59:42 »
Yeah, what Hammy said. And you need to do something to keep the player interested.

Gooner861

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2003, 00:47:24 »
Is shooting tons of guys something to keep you interested?

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2003, 00:49:43 »
dats st00pid Q :P ::)

a good mision is mix of all of em :P

shud b fin nd interestin w/ god story nd lots of action - dats how u get good mision :P

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Gooner861

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2003, 00:52:38 »
Well sorry for my utter STOOPidity.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2003, 00:54:31 »

:moon:

u write it w/ double 0 not os :P :booty:

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Gooner861

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2003, 00:57:33 »
 :booty:

_hammy_

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:10:45 »
i dont think action & shooting dudes makes a mission fun, I played this one mission (i dont recall its name) it had just a little action in it, but it had awsome cutscenes a very nice story and good scripts, and that is what made it fun. you dont need action to make it fun. :P

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:20:04 »
give the player a choice.... make a spec ops mission... lots of men to kill... but the player has to think 'is stealth maybe better?' - even if he has a squad.... and maybe the obvious entrance to a base isnt the best and again the player has to think etc etc etc - get them involved.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Gooner861

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:20:30 »
Yeah thats wot i wanna try and do. Ive nearly completed the main aspects of my first mission but i now want to spend alot of time making some really gud cutscenes.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:24:58 »
Yeah thats wot i wanna try and do. Ive nearly completed the main aspects of my first mission but i now want to spend alot of time making some really gud cutscenes.
You're a beginner if I'm not mistaking right? Whatever you do, do NOT use the ingame camera shots. Script it, OK?

Gooner861

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:27:44 »
Lol, ill never use the crap ingame camera shots.

Armstrong the mission im making is a defend the base mission which u like ive read. Is 40+ soviets vs 10 americans sound alrite?
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2003, 22:38:33 by Gooner861 »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:38:11 »
Lol, ill never use the crap ingame camera shots.

Armstrong the mission im making is a defend the base mission which u like ive read. Is 40+ soviets vs 10 americans so alrite?
That depends on what kinda equip and pos u got.

Gooner861

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:40:41 »
Its set in Lipany, Nogova. Im not sure if i shud make the player a sniper on the roof of the big council house or just a machine gunner waiting for the reds to get into the square.

bigdog632

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2003, 22:58:27 »
give the player a choice.... make a spec ops mission... lots of men to kill... but the player has to think 'is stealth maybe better?' - even if he has a squad.... and maybe the obvious entrance to a base isnt the best and again the player has to think etc etc etc - get them involved.

i agree with you man i like the choice unless some retard decides to go blazing in with a tank when th rest of us choose stealth

stealth missions are great though kill only the guys who might see ya and leave a few satchels on the way out to make a high score for yourself ;D

Phantom

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2003, 13:53:38 »
just plomp the player a safe distance away, then give them loads of intel in the briefing and on the map. then they can do what they want

Homefry31464

« Reply #20 on: 02 Aug 2003, 03:37:08 »
Besides whats already been stated, choice makes a mission better.  Unlinear objectives, custom loadouts, and suspense.  Custom sounds add alot as well.

R.Y.A.N.

« Reply #21 on: 02 Aug 2003, 19:54:15 »
Put interesting events and situations in your missions.

I have one, a SEAL team landing, that has destroying an enemy training and special operations complex as an example.

On the way there, they pass a small, walled re-fueling station. Since this is a rear area, the Soviets are not trying to be quiet or stealthy, they are just doing their normal jobs. At this gas station, a T-72 tank has broken down just outside the station. There are red flares around it, a repair truck is illuminating it with it's headlights (It's 5 am), a sentry is chatting with the driver of the repair truck, and I used a snippet to make a soldier, acting as a mechanic, drop his AK near some barrels, then sit at the back of the tank. I cycle his actions, so he moves a bit (tries to stand for a split second) then sits again. He never does stand, but he moves a bit while sitting, as if he's working on a tread of the tank. there's radio playing music next to him, and just like the flares, I used a runway marker, this time in white, nearby that seems like a flashlight. I timed the SEALS approach to the gas staion so that a BMP shows up to try and get gas. They stop near the tank, get out, and stand by the gaurd who's chatting with the repair truck driver. It really looks like they're shooting the bull.

The player shouldn't even attack these guys. It's just atmosphere. But it gives them a location to avoid on ex-filtration, and it gives an illusion that the bad guys don't all sleep at night, they are out on patrols, assigned to mundane tasks, and even slack off now and then.

For me, a few random events like this can make a regular mission at the least interesting, and at most, put a twist on it.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #22 on: 02 Aug 2003, 21:20:17 »
tanks to explode.  Helicopter parachuting with the m2 guns on the ground providing constant fire.  This makes an excellent immersive feeling.  Helicopter insertions are the best, no matter which way.  Surprises are cool.  Tension is cool, like time limits.  Aircraft is cool.  Basically combine aircraft, vehicles and people.    
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2003, 21:22:40 by BronzeEagle »

bigdog632

« Reply #23 on: 03 Aug 2003, 14:11:27 »
Besides whats already been stated, choice makes a mission better.  Unlinear objectives, custom loadouts, and suspense.  Custom sounds add alot as well.

i agree 100% with that this is why i stopped playing Ghost Recon....i hated the boundaries