Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Possible Improvements  (Read 3197 times)

ThePogue

Possible Improvements
« on: 11 Jun 2003, 18:52:32 »
Hi guys. First let me say that Flashpoint is a ruddy good game but I find it all too easy to die.
 I enjoy making MOHAA style levels with the editor but find the lack of durability and 1 save per lever very frustrating. So my idea for a Mod/Add-on is to increase the amount of bullets you and the enemy can take.
Also I would decrease the accuracy a small amount for most weapons over long range.
Yea I know this would be less realistic but I think it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for the one man team or small squad of Special Forces style missions.

Another thought would be to make it possible to change to different team members like Rainbow 6 .however I would imagine this would be more difficult that increasing the health of solders or perhaps deceasing the damage done by weapons.

Iwesshome

Re:Possible Improvements
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2003, 19:51:16 »
ThePogue,

I have two major things to say....

1. Welcome to the Forums
2. Welcome to OFP Editing  
Everything you stated above can and has been accomplished during the two years this game has been out... The OFP community has a lot of talented individuals that have created scripts for rappelling from helicopters to creating addons that are very realistic in design, and you can even decrease the damage allowed by weapons using simple coding which can be learned by anybody.

The only thing not accomplished yet is the ability to switch between characters, which I think is a limitation of the OFP Engine. I suggest you head over to the Editors Depot located at the top of the page and start reading the many fascinating tutorials designed with all types of players in mind.

The only thing that can stop you from succeding in this game is a lack of imagination...

IW
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2003, 19:53:55 by Iwesshome »

ThePogue

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2003, 22:26:57 »
Ok so I downloaded a script for make units tougher and have linked the script to the player unit but I am still dieing from normal amounts of damage .Also when the mission end and the camera zooms away I can still see the unit standing

jamie_psx

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2003, 00:52:22 »
Hi guys. First let me say that Flashpoint is a ruddy good game but I find it all too easy to die.

Keep yer head down m8.  ;)

but find the lack of durability and 1 save per lever very frustrating.

You can save as often as you want.
Press "left shift" and the minus (on the numpad) together,
then release them and type in

savegame

Offline benreeper

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2003, 06:16:43 »
I MUST disagree.  Flashpoint is ALOT easier than MOHAA.  IN OFP you know what can kill and that fact is consistent across the game.  Also you can go anywhere and have some freedom on how to complete your goals.  In OFP, if you think about getting position on an enemy and taking cover, you will hardly ever die.  In MOHAA, trying to take cover, standing still and taking careful aim will find you quickly dead from a running, strafing enemy 20 feet away.  

I almost get killed in this game when I do something or try to go Rambo.  However, as was said, there are toughening scripts out there but I don't think they will make the game, as it is, more enjoyable for you.

Just my opinion.

Ben

Vyper

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2003, 21:38:13 »
Agreed ben....Flashpoint is realistic, i'm afraid in real war its all too easy to die, the best way is to stay alive in OFP is think tactically and be one step ahead of the enemy.....and keeping checking your flanks, they like sending one or two men over there to desicrate you!

Play safe  ;)

Vyper

Shaggy

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2003, 02:34:38 »
You said rappling from helicopters  :o

I really need that addon/script can you tell me where i can get it. I really need it for my addon :)

I'd Appreciate it..

:cheers:

Ball Zack

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2003, 03:22:08 »
If you want a game where you don't have to think then MOHAA is your game.  It is a pure test of reflexes.  In OFP if you think your way through each mission, develop a plan and execute it, then you will be very successfull.  If you run in shooting, then you will be the first to die.  This doesn't mean that I don't like to play games like MOHAA and Soldier of Fortune.  Sometimes I don't want to think.  I just want to come home and kill people randomly.  In these cases I will load up Counter-Strike or GTA.  But if I want a semi-realistic military simulation, and I want to out think my enemy instead of empty a magazine into him, then I will play OFP.

p00_p00

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2003, 04:32:04 »
I agree - OFP is THE BEST GAME - besides Zelda: Ocarina of Time ;), oh and CHrono Trigger, and Zelda: Link to the Past - ah fark it, theirs a lot of bloody awesome games out there, but Op Flash is definitely my top ten which has easily taken the most hours out of my pittiful life, and made studying a second priority

The difficulty in OpFlash is hard when you first play, but simple patience and crawling around will increase your life expotentially. Just make sure you have some form of cover to hide in when the enemy start shooting you, hide and then flank them as their still facing the wrong direction.

I really like the realistic effects of OpfLash, especially richochetting bullets that can hurt you and kill you.

Games like MOH:AA is awesome, but damn the computer have an unfair advantage. Play the Normandy mission (cant remeber which 1 but the one with snipers everywhere and bombed out buildings). They know that your coming and will kill you without you seeing them. In OpF, u can at least see them and hide behind bushes (however they have a tendancy to shoot through walls alot).
Also FInding a mission hard? Approach it from a different angle. Almost impossible in MOH:AA since its all linear.
EG In one of the Red Hammer campaign missions where you have to rescue your Recistance buddy who was captured, their were tanks everywhere and I kept dieing. But I just made a huge detour around a copule of forests, on the costal shores of Kolujkev and took em out from behind. Much easier, but used as a last resort.

Thats my 2 cents on this fab game

Oh btw - is their a script/addon to remove grenade awkardness when ur throwing it? Also is their timed explosive grenades? Not impact???

jamie_psx

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2003, 06:51:33 »

I really like the realistic effects of OpfLash, especially richochetting bullets that can hurt you and kill you.

??? OFP has ricochetting bullets?!!!  :o

Vyper

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2003, 12:46:15 »
Sure it does, just empty a mag straight down and one will eventually run back into your face! not that realistic ricoche but still.....better than nothing  ;D

Vyper

Mr_Shady

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2003, 13:32:59 »
If you hold the dash key (E on my PC) and the right strafe key (D), aim at the floor and start snapping rounds off, you'll put a few rounds in your legs and die before long. Strange thing is, no blood!

ThePogue

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2003, 22:39:11 »
What you're saying is all true, tactics and stealth is an important part of flashpoint but I for one don't enjoy crawling about for hours.
 I suppose that's just me but despite this I still play Flashpoint a hell of a lot. I love the selection of add-ons and the editor is very easy to use. These are all thing that MOHAA lacks. SOF2 had the random mission generator but this still lacks the scope of even the most basic usages of the Flashpoint map editor.
So to answer my question can I use the script to make the player more resistant

Kaliyuga

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2003, 22:54:37 »
So to answer my question can I use the script to make the player more resistant

yes  download the BAS Ranger/Deltas they're definately tougher than your average unit .. ;D

and a real pain in the :booty: to play against I can attest to from experience..

they can take several shots before dying... :o

Mr_Shady

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2003, 23:16:27 »
A friend and I attacked and killed about twenty-odd enemy soldiers set to full skill and in prepared positions in about one minute, without sustaining any injuries, thanks to very basic tactics. No need for body armour, extra health or whatnot. Just a bit of forethought.... and a lot of bullets  ;)

p00_p00

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2003, 05:18:50 »
A friend and I attacked and killed about twenty-odd enemy soldiers set to full skill and in prepared positions in about one minute, without sustaining any injuries, thanks to very basic tactics. No need for body armour, extra health or whatnot. Just a bit of forethought.... and a lot of bullets  ;)

Gimmie a few RPG's, grenades and I could take em out 2!!!!!!!

But with just plain bullets????? Id need about 2 minutes!

Crawling is a bum - thats why theirs the fast-forward button! Very nice addition to make a game which relies heavily on patience and strategy and constant retrys into a more fast paced game when you need to move to where the action is!

A bug in the game dosnt recognise dead bodies on the ground, and if u plug a dead body a metre from where you are, bullets will still richochet and kill you

BAS units dont take any more damage then any normal unit me thinks. Its just they all have self heal which is anoyying. Also sometimes when i get shot I wont self heal, but at other times when im in a heated battle n get 1 little measly bullet wound which dosnt effect me, and my soldier will stop firing and start healing (whilst kneeling down, not crouching), and id get shot 2 pieces!!!!! Why is it sometimes they will auto heal n sometimes I cant heal myself when I need to!!!!!

Mr_Shady

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2003, 13:21:22 »
I've never encountered the body-richochet bug, what version are you using?

And the BAS units do take extra damage, they can take about four or five AK74 rounds in the chest before keeling over. The self-healing thing's only with the Deltas, who sometimes stop to patch themselves up, although they've stopped doing it for me now  :-\

p00_p00

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2003, 13:44:38 »
V 1.91

Stand right next to a dead body (.5 to a meter away), go full auto and plug away

ud get killed eventually. If not, reload and start again.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2003, 15:25:13 »
Strange. Shooting the dead's a major thing when I play MP games with my squad, but we've never caught a richochet doing it. Unless you've shot yourself, since if you aim at the ground and fire you can do yourself in  :-\

jamie_psx

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2003, 02:44:24 »
The self-healing thing's only with the Deltas, who sometimes stop to patch themselves up, although they've stopped doing it for me now  :-\

Well mebbe, they don' appreciate your leadership abilities, or lack thereof, lad.   :)

Mr_Shady

« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2003, 23:18:51 »
I'd like to think it's because I'm 'ard  ;)