Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Apache Assault  (Read 5631 times)

charlieh

(Review Completed) [SP] Apache Assault
« on: 29 May 2003, 02:01:46 »
"Apache Assault"

There is a lack of chopper missions for OFP so I thought I'd make one.

This is an Apache mission set on Kolgujev on the West side. The initial objective is to aid some ground units in attacking a heavily defended Russian base. However, after that, a far more interesting storyline unfolds which involves the player in most aspects of OFP chopper combat.

This mission is not easy, especially if you are rusty on chopper combat in OFP. Having tested the mission a lot (at least the first parts), I've worked out how to play it, and so I've written a walkthrough if you get stuck (it does not atm cover the final objectives as I havent tested them thoroughly enough yet). The mission requires patience so it will not appeal to all.

I believe this mission has the potential to be a pretty decent chopper mission, but it's not necessarily quite there yet. There are some weak areas. For instance, the voices are largely computer-generated. Also, I'm not convinced some of the scripting will work as it should on all computers. A couple of the cutscenes in the middle of the mission are rough and will require a bit more work. Its not realistic in all parts, but it should be fun instead.

Although the first objectives have been tested many times, the very last one, where you fight off some Hinds, has only been tested right the way through once (I am very busy with other things atm so I dont have a lot of time to test it), so I would appreciate feedback on it.

If you can think of a different name for the mission (Apache Assault is not a good name) please email me with it and I'll give you a credit in the Readme.

The mission is a relatively large download but it does not need any addons. Resistance is required.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me. I've spent a lot of time on this so I would like the final version to be good, but without feedback I'll probably fail ;)

Includes walkthrough:
Download Apache Assault (6.53 Mb)

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Mission Depot.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2009, 23:20:44 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

usrt_peanut_butter

Re:SP Apache Mission
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2003, 04:21:56 »
whoopidy fuc*n do

usrt_peanut_butter

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2003, 04:24:21 »
nah im j/p im sure its a good map :o

The Avon Lady

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2003, 07:14:19 »
Would you consider making your mission AMORE compliant? Wagner's Valkyrie is a commonly used score in missions.

The Avon Lady

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2003, 11:03:47 »
Comments on the mission:

1. Remove the NVGs from the pilots in the intro.

2. On the briefing's SITUATION page it says "............ an this gives enables us ..............". Remove the redundant word.

3. Nice idea having sound effects when clicking the brifing book's tabs but they don't repeat once played. Also what sound is that when clicking on the NOTES tab?

4. Something has to be balanced between the Apaches and the Shilkas. Even before I can clearly get Shilkas listed on radar, they're pounding away at me. Maybe you have to play around with both side's SKILL and ARMOR settings to achive balance.

charlieh

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2003, 00:14:11 »
Thanks, I'll try and make the changes you suggested and make it AMORE compliant.

As far as I know, there is no way to have custom briefing tabs sounds play more than once, but I'll experiment and see if I can get it to work.

I'll rebalance the mission slightly so it is easier.

The Avon Lady

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jun 2003, 07:13:41 »
I'll rebalance the mission slightly so it is easier.
I prefer the word "balanced". ;D

Another annoyance is that I find OFP's command control of a second chopper somewhat sloppy. Unfortunately, the 2nd chopper pilot doesn't have the AI brains needed to saty alive for long. And having to command him to stop or stay back and be almost useless negates the whole purpose of having a second chopper to begin with.

This is an OFP problem, I think, not specific to your mission.

BTW, check your inbox for a reply on AMORE. ;)

charlieh

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jun 2003, 13:42:14 »
I prefer the word "balanced". ;D
Ok ;)

The second chopper often dies unfortunately. As you say, there is not a lot that can be done about it. The second chopper is only used in the first part of the mission so hopefully if it dies it should not make the mission too difficult.

BTW, check your inbox for a reply on AMORE.  

Thanks, got it.

The Avon Lady

« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2003, 06:42:43 »
I noticed you updated the starting post yesterday. Did you update the mission but forget to tell us to download it or not yet? ???

The Avon Lady

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2003, 08:44:59 »
If you can think of a different name for the mission (Apache Assault is not a good name) please email me with it and I'll give you a credit in the Readme.
Rolling Clouds. Has a Native Indian sort of ring to it, appropriate for an Apache.

charlieh

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2003, 19:27:33 »
I noticed you updated the starting post yesterday. Did you update the mission but forget to tell us to download it or not yet? ???
No, I just changed the link but the mission version is the same.

The Avon Lady

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2003, 19:32:15 »
Any plans to update the mission? ???

charlieh

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2003, 19:44:05 »
Yes I'll fix the bugs, make it AMORE compliant, give it a new name (Rolling Clouds sounds good but there were a couple of suggestions on another forum so I shall work out which one best fits the mission) and release a final version if there arent any more bugs or suggestions reported.

Thanks again for the feedback

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2009, 23:22:20 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline nicserpiente

• Members
Re: (Review Completed) [SP] Apache Assault
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2013, 21:56:42 »