Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Safe Haven/Anti-Base-Rape script (ACCEPTED)  (Read 5876 times)

Offline norrin

• Tutorial Writer
Safe Haven/Anti-Base-Rape script (ACCEPTED)
« on: 22 Sep 2007, 02:29:33 »
Safe Haven/Anti-Base-Rape script

You can down load it from here (version 0.1 beta).

Description
The script does 2 things:
1. if an enemy player injures someone in the zone then the "safe" player is not damaged and the enemy player receives that damage instead.

2. if an enemy player kills a "safe" player outright in the zone then both the enemy and the "safe" player are killed. Can't do much about this unfortunately as thats the way the eventhandlers are hard wired but at least the enemy is only going to kill one person before he gets his just deserts.

Therefore you can look but don't touch.

Discussion
Although this script is based on the work of Dinger for OFP from the OPFEC forum getting this to work hasn't been easy as it took me about 6 hours before I realised that the list of units for each side defined in the init sqf changes every time a player dies and needs to be recompiled for the eventhandlers to work properly - you won't believe the things I've tried along the way but I could write a book.

To implement
You'll need to define 3 arrays in the init.sqf that contain the unit's names for each side (west, east and independent). Also copy across the remaining code from the init.sqf and that should be about it other than copying across the anti_base_rape folder. The safe zones are currently marked at 100 metres from the respawn markers but you can extend those by editing the anti_base_rape_killed and hit sqfs that you can find in the anti_base_rape folder. One of the cool things about this is if you are in a vehicle and you kill someone in a safe zone then your vehicle is always destroyed and you are killed about 70 % of the time.

Tested
Version 1.08. I've tested it on both local and dedicated servers with 2 players and it works well under these conditions.

Missions
Try out the test mission included you'll need at least 2 human players. The big red circle on the map is the radius of the east players safe zone. Oh it also works with team killers within the safe zone.

Good luck,

norrin

OFPEC DOWNLOAD
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2009, 20:31:32 by hoz »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: Safe Haven/Anti-Base-Rape script
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2007, 17:25:57 »
The idea is interesting but the end result might be weird. I understand the main purpose is to prevent enemy players to overrun your spawning base and kill you every time you respawn. But then the situation is that the enemy inside your base cannot (should not) kill you but you still can kill them at will. That might result in extreme frustration for the enemy player that spent a lot of time trying to reach your respawn base, and it might also be a frustration for the re-spawning player, as the enemy will be killed easily or killed automatically if he tries to kill you, so, killed anyway.

Considering that the mission designer has (or should) put some walls or fences around the spawn position to protect the spawning units against long range shooters, we might conclude that the best balanced solution would be to prevent the enemy to get too close or to get into the protected area. For example, a basic safe circle with configurable radius, enemies inside it are placed automatically in the closest border of the circle, or enemies inside the area lose some of their ammo each minute they stay inside the safe area, etc.

One point is clear, if an enemy player gets too close to your spawn zone he has a quite simple purpose, to kill you.

Offline norrin

• Tutorial Writer
Re: Safe Haven/Anti-Base-Rape script
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2007, 23:51:58 »
The idea is interesting but the end result might be weird. I understand the main purpose is to prevent enemy players to overrun your spawning base and kill you every time you respawn. But then the situation is that the enemy inside your base cannot (should not) kill you but you still can kill them at will. That might result in extreme frustration for the enemy player that spent a lot of time trying to reach your respawn base, and it might also be a frustration for the re-spawning player, as the enemy will be killed easily or killed automatically if he tries to kill you, so, killed anyway.

Considering that the mission designer has (or should) put some walls or fences around the spawn position to protect the spawning units against long range shooters, we might conclude that the best balanced solution would be to prevent the enemy to get too close or to get into the protected area. For example, a basic safe circle with configurable radius, enemies inside it are placed automatically in the closest border of the circle, or enemies inside the area lose some of their ammo each minute they stay inside the safe area, etc.

One point is clear, if an enemy player gets too close to your spawn zone he has a quite simple purpose, to kill you.

Strangely enough I agree with you Mandoble and you're right a variation of my Out_bounds_zone script maybe better for this purpose.  This script was written on the request of the mods at the IC ArmA tournament which focuses on objective based team play where the teams were meant to be fighting over specific zones on the map.  What they were finding were some players rather than capturing the designated zones were raping the bases of the enemy - a legitimate strategy in some minds but destroying the story and the objectives of the matches - hence the script.  Just posted it here as I thought it may be of use to some one else.

Offline tSpecR

• Members
Re: Safe Haven/Anti-Base-Rape script (ACCEPTED)
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:46:28 »
Hi, Norrin. In searching for a particular script yours are the only ones that come up that are similar to what I'm looking for so you seem to be the best person to ask. I currently play on a DayZ server that has clan bases that are meant to be no go zones for other players. Unfortunately this is very hard to enforce. Do you know if there is a way to make a no go zone that is player specific eg. only clanmates can go within the base area?

Thanks in advance for any help.