Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Un-official Patches + Upgrades  (Read 1273 times)

SpecOpWarrior

Un-official Patches + Upgrades
« on: 15 May 2003, 01:14:50 »
The 1.91 patch for OFP: Resistance is very likely to be the last.  They might not upgrade to a higher version anymore, and while in a way that can be somewhat of a good thing.

Igor Drukov, Asmodeus, and snYpir have released a Blood pack, which in my view is incredible.  A few fixes needs to be done, but otherwise it's one of the many great Operation Flashpoint improvments to date.

Many other scripts and ideas have been released, however the only downside is that these things are addons.  Addons that people do not have, and addons that people dont feel like getting to play a simple mission.  Same with clans, and Public Servers over the internet.

These improvments are making OFP alot better, however they cannot be used as good as an official patch can be.  I say this because the majority of the people rather download patches or upgrades that fix and add more things rather than downloading an addon.

The OFPEC blood addon will likely be used in alot of future missions and Multiplayer missions.  
The only problem:  Some people can be picky with addons, some do not like installing them, and some do not care.

The community, or the major OFP fan sites should come together, figure out what all the good improvments in OFP are, and create an Un-Official Patch/Upgrade pack and supply it to all for everybody to get.

Including: MODs, Clans, Players, Mission Editors, and Public OFP servers.

By doing this, EVERYBODY will have all the major MAJOR improvments in OFP, without having to worry about Addons at all.

So basically, no addons will be required, BUT this Un-Official Upgrade, and thats all.

A small idea that we could all try, I took this idea to OFPEC mostly because I feel it will have a better chance of happening.

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Opinions?

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Re:Un-official Patches + Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2003, 03:58:40 »
I wouldn't install an unofficial patch.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2003, 04:17:47 »
The idea of an Addon Pack (which is essentially what this boils down to) has been suggested many times before, but has always "fizzled out".

The usual reasons for disagreement in the past have centred around:
- how to 'package' the files, EXE or Archive
- what controls/standards to use for each addon
- how to decide which addons are to be included and which left out
- people who may want 9 out of the 10 addons, but they strongly (almost to the point of vehemence) don't want that last one
- download size
...etc etc ad nauseam.

Good on you for suggesting it, but quite honestly, the participating community is firmly (and evenly) divided on each of the issues that would need addressed.
Due to that, these addon pack suggestions never get off the ground...

Thats not to say that you shouldn't pursue the idea, I just thought I'd offer you some history on suggestions like this made in the past. :)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

SpecOpWarrior

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2003, 06:51:45 »
Well I'm sure it's possible now,  the DKM realistic chopper effect, the ofpec blood addon, and the realistic chopper malfunction script (spins around in circles like in Black Hawk Down).

And as for never downloading an Unofficial Upgrade, you have to remember it's no diffrent from downloading an Unofficial Mission or Addon toadlife ;)

And I would assume, that there could be multiple files (ZIP, RAR, EXE) and that the ofp fan sites, or even BIS could in someway "approve" that the Un Official Upgrade is a good way to go.

It's a good idea I think, I'll try and dig up something...

Commando

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2003, 12:53:32 »
Hey unoficial patches could be very good! :D
I got win2k and i couldn't play the very old command & conquer games on it because win2k doesn't have DOS!!!??
and my win 95 version didn't seem to work at all and red alert 1 didn't want to install at all..but but but 1 unoficial patch solved al my problems + 1 single h4xx0r code line in the start menu->run
and I got some small inpiration for new ofp missions.
so unoficial patches could be very good.. :)