Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Forum restructuring  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Forum restructuring
« on: 28 Apr 2003, 14:24:21 »
We're currently planning a restructuring of the forums to reduce the number of our boards. The following changes will take place the next weekend:

• The general editing and general scripting boards will be merged to one general editing and scripting board.
  • The pre-1985 and post-1985 addon boards will be merged into one "Addons: General Biscussion" board. The "Addons Editing: General" board will be renamed into "Addons: Editing"
  • The Oxygen board and the 3D modelling board will be merged into one single 3D modelling board.
  • The setPos creatons board will be removed.
  • The next step in phasing out POLWAR will be taken which will be locking all discussions. The board itself will remain for a few weeks until it's eventually taken down.
All messages in the boards who are not taken down will be moved to the new merged boards. So, with a few exceptions, no messages will be lost and you will still be able to ask your questions in the new boards.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2003, 19:34:03 by Sefe »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Forum restructure
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2003, 16:11:36 »
Good calls  :thumbsup:
Not all is lost.

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Forum restructuring
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2003, 10:43:09 »
All the changes have been made now. Enjoy the new structure.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2003, 23:27:00 »
I just saw it, great m8! :-*

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2003, 17:23:54 »
To be honest i preferd having the seperate post/pre 85 threads its just all messy now :(

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2003, 13:20:03 »
Its quite a list to search when you need something basic from general editing...
Is it possible to have a search function as in the FAQ?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2003, 13:32:35 »
There is an excellent forum search function .... look at the row of six buttons at the top of the page, search is in the middle.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2003, 17:59:12 »
then I take it back. :)
I tried that button but I must have misunderstood the result, I thought it was only FAQ.

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2003, 09:44:38 »
The POLWAR board has now been taken down from the forums.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2003, 22:47:43 »
To be honest i preferd having the seperate post/pre 85 threads its just all messy now :(

i concur... i agree with the basis for this change, and can see the need... but is it just me, but has forum use dropped since the restructure? addons section is less active as far as i've noticed....  ::)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2003, 23:23:10 »
The "settling" of the forum use hasn't been caused by the restructure, that I can say unreservedly.

The numbers indicate that the forum has been slowing since Nov/Dec and appear to have settled into a regular pattern during the last 2-3 months.

We're still growing by...
* 150 to 200 members a month
* 200-odd new topics per month
* 1500 to 2000 new posts per month

... and we still peak at between 20-40 people online at one time daily.

Personally, I think the community around here has been slowing as people invest more time and dedication into mods and projects that are actually moving forward (instead of just getting to the planning stage and dying), or have settled into other tasks outside of conversing in the forums.
But thats just my own viewpoint. :)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2003, 00:01:54 »
i'll live with that... seems i best get on with some missions then  ::)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2003, 00:05:01 »
i concur... i agree with the basis for this change, and can see the need... but is it just me, but has forum use dropped since the restructure? addons section is less active as far as i've noticed....  ::)

Just compare the new addon discussion board with general editing. Gen. Ed. is still about 50 % busier than the new combined addon board (the number of threads is even six times higher!). We have now a situation for the addon boards that we always had for the editing boards. General editing always had to take all discussions from the whole wide range of editing and no-one complained about that. The addon boards were privileged with more but less busy boards; a privelige that came with unclear boundaries between the boards and more work for our moderators.

I know that everything new always causes a degree of rejectance but why shouldn't the addon guys be able to get along with something that the editing guys always lived with (and apperently seemed to live fine with)? To be honest, in my opinion this is more of a luxury problem than a real problem. With the same justification you could say that the old, more confusing structure of the addon boards deterred users from using them.

gadolinite

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2003, 19:55:03 »
 :) :)Also set something up that keeps the forums clean, and make a users postings deletable by only that user.  Also we should set something up called the forum archives, for solved cases, and another for unresovled issues.  This will help keep forum postings organised, and unresolved issues in the readers eye.  The solved issues will be moved their automatically after a certain amount of time, samething with unsolved issues.  

8) 8) 8)Remember, this is only a piece of advice, and I suggest the administrators of the site take it 8) 8) 8)