Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Winter and dessert Novoga  (Read 2059 times)

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
Winter and dessert Novoga
« on: 01 Sep 2002, 22:15:28 »
Hi all.
 How about somebody doing a winter Novoga? So people would be able to make campaigns setup during diferent stations of the year.
 My other request is a dessert novoga. The reason why I would like a dessert Novoga is because the north of the island have a lot of nice mountines that if they wher retextured to dessert they could loock like the mountine regions of Afganistan, just a though ;D
Later all.
@cero.
SCREWBY!!!

tai mai shu

Re:Winter and dessert Novoga
« Reply #1 on: 01 Sep 2002, 22:33:45 »
you can't retexture nogova and then distibute it pubilicly.  its illegal.  it gives people who havent got resitance, the ability to download and use nogova.  kegety made a very nice looking winter nogova, but he cant release it cuz BIS is pretty touchy about it.  >:(

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 01 Sep 2002, 22:36:42 »
ummmmm....

no... you can... you bought the game and all parts of it are shareware - as in to use the addons, to play the missions you must have the game...

some examples of modified islands:

Winter Kolgujev
Desert Malden
Desert Everon
Jungle Everon

now... these were not illegal and neither will a nogova one...

but i rather see new islands made by people using wrpedit than retextured ones.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

tai mai shu

« Reply #3 on: 02 Sep 2002, 00:48:48 »
lol messiah.

its ok to retexture malden and everon and all the V.1.46 islands, because they arent backwards compatible.  no one can use those slands without purchasing ofp.  you CANNOT retexture nogova, because it is NOT shareware for those using v 1.46 .  a person with v.1.46 could possibly use nogova, therefore they could enjoy parts of resitance, yet they never payed for it,therefore it is ILLEGAL to distribute copies of nogova without express permissin from BIS.

when wrpedit came out, there were retextured islands coming out within a week or two.

resitance has been out for how long?  month or two?  and there are no retextured nogova islands in public circulation.

if you dont believe me, go and ask kegetys, he knows more about this stuff than you.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2002, 00:49:43 by tai mai shu »

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2002, 00:52:51 »
tai mai shu is right mezzy ;D. Even if you are both wrong about the shareware thing, BIS will frown on anyone releasing a re-textured Nogova.

Even if there's no real legal grounds for their claims, they have let us re-texture the existing islands all we want without a word from them. If someone should release Winter Nogova they really don't have anything to say. There are laws, and if BIS chose not to prosecute anyone for breaching those laws before, they can't start all of a sudden.

Cheers, KTottE

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #5 on: 02 Sep 2002, 00:53:29 »
aaaaah, lol - i forgot that Nogova came with resistance - and as you say, people with only 1.46 could get hold of it.

lol - oh well
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #6 on: 02 Sep 2002, 08:01:06 »
oh well :-[ Never mind then, I'll have to do with the ones available that it happen to be in my hard drive already :D
 But I think some one should make at list one dessert island based in Afganistan, it probably have to be a genious with WRP to do all them mountines but the eford would be worth it.
SCREWBY!!!

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #7 on: 02 Sep 2002, 10:10:29 »
If you only make it winter nogova you can release it because there are resistance buildings so peeps with version 1.46 can't use it only resistance so you can make it and release it it is not illegal ;)

tai mai shu

« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2002, 10:22:25 »
AHEM, (clears throat)  You CANNOT release Nogova to the general public in ANY form.  you cannot even import nogova into WRPedit and totally change it's shape and then distribute it.  Here in America we have things called copyright laws.  Nogova is property of BIS, so therefore BIS has full rights to its circulation.  Owning a copy of Resistance DOES NOT give you the rights to modify its data and than redistribute it, that is a direct violation to the USER AGREEMENT that YOU agreed to when you installed resistance.  Now Nogova most likely wont work with v1.46, but nevertheless, NOGOVA CANNOT BE RELEASED PUBLICLY!  No If's, Or's, or But's.

topic solved.

Wires

« Reply #9 on: 02 Sep 2002, 12:30:20 »
Technically the entire contents of OFP is copyright of BIS and you are not alowed to reverse engineer it. A quote from the license agreement under YOU SHALL NOT "Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivitive works of the Program, in whole or part" (including ALL versions of OFP). Which means no DePBO, no decoding missions ect ect effectively making modding impossible as with almost every other game out of the box. The thing is I don't think BIS has too much of a problem with people making add-ons ect do you? They are releasing the tools if every so slowly so why not make a new nogova, just put it in the new .pbo format so ofp1.46 can't open it. I am not aware of a tool that can compress in the new format but I know it is different that's why you need to cut a bit of the O.pbo file off to decode it with most current tools.

But really the island is a very small part of the Resistance upgrade, 1.46 won't get pistols or be able to play the new missions or campaign or have the new graphics so what's the big deal. When BIS goes after OFPInternals then I'll be worried about making add-ons of any kind, until then it's open season  8).

Just remember give credit where it's due  ;)