Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Prisoners of War  (Read 2316 times)

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Prisoners of War
« on: 11 Apr 2003, 09:02:44 »
Regarding the mission 'Prisoners of War' hosted here:

http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?ID=404

Bahh!

The version of RED's weapons that is hosted here at OFPEC is not the version that this mission was made by. Due to this - the intro does not work due to missing addon errors. The mission will still play but with annoying missing addon errors at the beggining.

From a technical standpoint, it's not a badly written mission at all. I caught a scripting error, but it was the classic "array select -1" type that even the best of us run into sometimes.

From a realism standpoint, it's a good mission to simulate what it would be like to be an Iraqi and fight the Americans, or a palestinian against the Isrealis.  :P

If you like suicide missions (9 infantry against 2 BMPs two T80's and one t72 and 50 soldiers - yeah right!!), then this is for you.

I strongly disagree with the 9/10 it got.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Ex-RoNiN

Re:Prisoners of War
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2003, 21:48:23 »
Uh oh, the boss is not happy  :P

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2003, 22:19:02 »
Uh oh, the boss is not happy  :P

LOL. No Anmac's the boss in these parts.  I'm just pointing out that the mission is slightly broken. For the record, I've diagreed with just about every 9/10 given at OFPEC, so me not agreeing with a 9/10 score doesn't mean I thought the mission sucked. I'm just a curmudgeon.

I'm gonna fix the addons errors in the editor, change one annoying thing, and play it some more when I get home later. Maybe I'll even beat it. :P
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2003, 22:19:39 by toadlife »
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2003, 11:17:41 »
so don't you agree with the 9/10 lojac got?  ;)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2003, 22:37:11 »
so don't you agree with the 9/10 lojac got?

just about every 9/10 given.  ;D

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2003, 03:47:10 »
hehehe, thought as much... and then again, that deserved the score... i know u put alot of time into that mission... 2 months was it?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2003, 04:32:30 »
Yeah two or three months.

And the update, Operation LoJack2 which works with resistance, took another 2 months. SFG promised he'd review it after the invasion44 demo comes out.

* toadlife gets his SFG whooping cane ready.

I'm off to play POW again. I'm determined to beat it now.

SFG

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2003, 06:19:47 »
Yeah two or three months.

And the update, Operation LoJack2 which works with resistance, took another 2 months. SFG promised he'd review it after the invasion44 demo comes out.

* toadlife gets his SFG whooping cane ready.

lol, you already whipped me earlier ;)

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2003, 07:27:55 »
I FINALLY BEAT THE DAMN THING. Talk about a suicide mission.

My score was like 20,000!

I think the mission should be marked faulty and a comment posted on it that intro doesn't work and that you will get "missing addon" errors when you run it.

Is there a "faulty" check box for you mission depot dudes?

steeldevil

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2003, 21:41:47 »
Hey Toadlife, in POW how did u enter the base?? everytime i went in i got shot immediately until i went round the side of the base, where there is an empty watch tower submerged in the bushes and a tree. Once up, the tree took offence and shoved me out onto the roof of it and i slid down and over the fence ;D, no soldiers to be seen. what can i say, it worked like, thers no way i could go through either 3 entrances,so how the **** do u get in to the base other than Tom Clancy like manouvers?  ???

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2003, 01:08:48 »
I brought my squad around the beach right below the base..I then called in the mortar fire and drawed the various troops out of the base. I never actually brought my squad into the base until all of the armour was destroyed and the helicopter was destroyed.

I must have reloaded the game 30 times. I had to keep reloading the game till Iw as able to finish off the mi17 with my LAW launcher.
After all of the armour was drawn out and destroyed, there weretons of holes in the bases walls to bring my men through.

The mission really was much too hard...

Two t80's, a t72, a BMP, 50 or more soldiers and an Mi17 against 9 infantry and 10 mortar rounds - not exactly reallistic.

steeldevil

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2003, 22:43:16 »
Shit, lol, i forgot about the mortar rounds, ah well, yea i know, too damn hard, took me a dozen times. what is with people? CAN U NOT GET THE DAMN DIFFICULTY IN PROPORTION?? or are we all called rambo around OFPEC

Anmac

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2003, 17:13:06 »

lol...

I must admit, hard missions are my thing.  If my score is under 30,000 at the end I feel cheated.

Most of the time I only use my squad to cover my butt from the rear, or to watch my flanks.  (both of which look nice) ;)

Are the bugs "mission" bugs or "addon version" bugs?

If you play with the correct addon version does the mission work correctly?

How did the reviewer get the mission to work?

Why is there air?

*sorry for my lack of posts, i've had the flu (no it's not SARS) for a couple of weeks and then i did a major upgrade of my puta.... mmmmm long view distances at very high detatil*

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2003, 19:55:12 »
The mission uses REDS Weapons. I think the author used the first version 1.0 of REDs weapons when making the mission. The version of REDs weapons at OFPEC is version 1.1.

I opened up the mission in the editor and saw what the problem was...the AK47 was named REDAK47 in the mission, but in version 1.1 of the addon it is REDAK47R...

The same went for some of the other weapons in the mission....

REDAK74 - REDAK74R

I did a search and replace on the mission.sqm but didn't actually fix every weapon listed...only enough that I could see the intro.

When the mission started, I got another addon error, byt was still able to play it.

Note that I opened the mission up in the resistance editor and compiled it there, so the resulting 'fixed' mission did not worka t all with 1.46. The mission was originally written with 1.46.

Anmac

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2003, 02:35:34 »

I think you'll find most missions written with version 1.46 will not work correctly with v1.85 and up.

Not the authors fault and not much we can do about it.

The addon version is another trap when using addons.  I have had the same problem with my own missions.

To be honest, it cheeses me off.

:-\