Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New e-mail address procedures  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
New e-mail address procedures
« on: 10 Apr 2003, 00:59:35 »
Recently we found that more and more forum members provide invalid e-mail addresses. Since we want every forum member to give us a valid e-mail address, we had to make measures to ensure exactly that. From now on, when you register for the OFPEC or change your e-mail address, a new random password for your accont will be sent to the given e-mail address. You can change your password back once you've logged in with the password received by e-mail.

We're sorry for this little inconvience but once again a minority has forced to take some measures that also affect the vast majority of sensible users. We think that everyone can live with such a slight inconvenience.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Re:New e-mail address procedures
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2003, 01:42:41 »
now, i dont want to complain, or anything... but maybe theres a reason behind this? i know, myself, that i never give out my email addy online because of spam, and all the associated crap...

maybe people provide invalid emails because they dont trust the site? i do, i trust it 100% and so give my email addy in full knowledge i can hide it... but to say to people ypu must give away personal information seems, ummm, well not sure how to put it, but do u see what im getting at?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2003, 03:07:30 »
Most people simply use false addresses for abusive purposes. Let me make one thing clear: the prerequisite to provide an e-mail address does only make sense if you provide a valid one. If you provide a fake e-mail address this is nor something that is intended, neither something we can accept. People provide e-mail addresses for much more sensitive purposes than for the OFPEC forums. The procedure we are now using is quite common to a great number of other forums. We have never abused e-mail addresses for spam, we have never sold e-mail addresses and we also have never given them away for free. Every member of the OFPEC can confirm that. And we can assure you that we won't do that in the future.

The main reasoning behind valid e-mail address is that every member needs to be accessible for us. Many people simply don't react to the PM system (a few even don't know that it's there) and so the e-mail is the only way for us to reach these people. Other reasons are that the notification system uses the given e-mail address and to make abuse of the forums more difficult.

Everyone can hide their e-mail addresses. That makes the address invisible even for our moderators. We can't guarantee that moderators won't ever be able to see hidden e-mail addresses (although we currently have no specific plans to extend the group of people able to see e-mail addresses). But we can assure you that no regular member will ever be able to see a hidden e-mail address. That means you can be sure that only trusted OFPEC staff selected and controled by us (the forum administration) can see your e-mail addresses unless you decide to make it visible for everyone.

So far we came along pretty well without forcing our members to use valid addresses but an increased amount of abuse unfortunately does not leave us another option.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2003, 12:11:25 »
fair enuff  :)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2003, 12:47:52 »
I have this one for MSN and for signing up/trivial mailing stuff.
My other (which I don't just hand out) is for proper e-mailing.
Something to that effect could be done by those who are afraid of spam. (Have not recieved a single spam-letter in my proper mail)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Gastovski

• Members
  • #loop; Gastovski setdammage 0; ~0.01; goto "loop";
    • Falklands Mod
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2003, 11:16:35 »
Thats what I do KTottE. Only problem is that although I have the valid email address for MSN, I never check it - Only when I know that there is a password coming in the mail for me. That address now gets over 1000 spam messages a day (I know they arent fom OFPEC cos i use one of me proper ones on OFPEC). This might be a problem, especially as I know that other people I know in the community do the same :-\

I understand why you are having email verification, and don't oppose it.

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2003, 08:17:44 »
OFPEC should have a privacy policy.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline hubba

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2003, 11:23:13 »
We are working on one actually =)

/HuBBa

lis

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2003, 05:50:42 »
tis a good idea..

and... toadlife has the worst sig ever

lis