Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Why dont you make money from this site?  (Read 2335 times)

Cap

Why dont you make money from this site?
« on: 27 Mar 2003, 14:53:35 »
I think that if you had adverts or something you could make packets off this website, so why dont you? I know that a few adverts here and ther wouldnt put me off coming to this site.  But if you do decide to do what i sugest (which i think you should) dont go over the top because it will make it look a bit tackey. But a sponser or two (with a space similar to the bit at the top of every page that says "ofp ed center") here and there would work i think.

Anyways it is just a sugestion. ;D But if i were you (who'sever this site is)i would. ;)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Why dont you make money from this site?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2003, 14:58:45 »
If OFPEC had adverts (other than domino's pizza http://www.ofpec.com/enjoy.php) and pop-ups I wouldn't be here.

It's great that OFPEC is build on people who care about the cause so much that they don't care about the money.

Of course with the dirty money you could upgrade the server, get hardware and stuff.. but still, I say (what am I to say) no.
Not all is lost.

Offline hubba

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2003, 15:44:04 »
In our agreement with our ISP we are not allowed to have any sales or advertisement of any profitable nature. We are allowed to have donations to keep the server running but other than that we are not allowed to do this as a business venture.

And legaleze aside, we do like it as it is :) Of course with me footing the internet & powerbills im always happy for donations :)

/HuBBa

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2003, 21:27:26 »
Which reminds me, what happened to the Patrons thing?     On the old site there was a mechanism for people to send in donations.     How could we do it now?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

asmodeus

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2003, 22:00:52 »
I personally find it to be completely great that there are no advertisements here!
 :D
It's a refreshing change and one of the few websites of it's kind that does not have tons of ads everywhere you go.

Besides, it's not a bad setup (unless you are HuBBa or Wolfsbane and whoever else pays on a monthly basis.. ) as long as people keep donating when they can.  

I personally did when I had some extra money.  I've used this site so much and I respect them so much for not having ads that I was moved to do that.  (which is very rare for me, being a person w/little money)   ;)  

And people without any spare money can always lend their time.   ;)  There's many ways to help ofpec for being so helpful to the community!

Asmo

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2003, 23:18:37 »
The day we have Banners or Pop-ups on this site is the day I will walk out into my hall landing, tie a rope around my neck and dangle from the stair bannister.

Simple as that.

We are not here to make money, though we do sometimes ask our visitors for donations to help with overheads and costs.

Patrons still exist, it's just hidden away.. If you're interested, let me know. I'll put a link up for it, but the way the system works, it doesn't merit people donating here and there, as the Holding Company gets tons of interest, and we don't get anything for a few months, thus the Donations Runs we used to have. :D
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2003, 23:22:29 »
hmmm, another donation drive could be an idea? i'm pretty willing to donate again  :)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Cplme

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2003, 23:26:19 »
I personnaly think that OFPEC giving their time for free and just basicly asking for donations is naking them to be like a charity which i think they are. to give their time and Their money for the benfit of us users. There is nothing stronger then a heart of a volunteer (sorry been watching a bti to much of pearl harbour) back to the point. If I had the money which i dont at the moment, but if i did i would be sending money over every month just to show my appreciation to the Administrators.  So I think there is only one thing left to say:

OFPEC THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND KEEP UP THE OUTSTANDING WORK AND TIME YOU PUT IN TO THIS

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2003, 23:48:51 »
hmmm, but you've also gotta remember to look past the figure heads at OFPEC... granted, without all of the staffs hard work over the years, there would be no ofp (and i know this first hand, its hard work, and little reward)

but OFPEC isnt just the admin and the global mod and mods... ofpec is us, the community... without the community, we are nothing... without our partnership, we are nothing... and like any community, we need a community hall, which is OFPEC... and we have to support this, by donating.  ;D

did that make sense?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

bmgarcangel

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2003, 06:16:07 »
Well said you guys ;D

Offline snYpir

• BIS Team
  • OFPEC Jedi Master
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2003, 07:26:36 »
I don't need to make money from the site because i am already a millionaire.

not. ::)
Bohemia Interactive Simulations

Sol Fire

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2003, 20:49:34 »
i personally am glad there are no ads here since Ads make a longer load time/Eye Sore and would take away from OFPEC's look.. would look Totally gay in my veiw and i probly wouldnt have ever signed up on the Forum muchless come back if there was a bunch of Banners/Pop up's and Pop Under's!

i like it just the way it is and i hope it doesnt change.. Much
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2003, 20:55:47 by Sol Fire »

Offline hubba

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2003, 10:00:41 »
Hm.. popups! why didn't i think of that!  *goes off to link to 2371827356198237812376 p0rn popups*

Don't worry guys. this site is adfree and will continue to be adfree as long as im hosting it anyway :)

/HuBBa

Cap

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2003, 14:43:42 »
Okay... Okay... Don't put the d**n banners there you are all fools for what you think and...... lol im just kidding, after careful concideration i have come to the conclusion that i like OFPEC just the way it is and probably adds will not completely stop me from coming to ofpec but they will stop me comming as often. You guys had some great points and i too would like to say...

Keep up the great work, WE LOVE YOU :-*

Ok maybe we dont love you!!!! but we really respect you for what you do for us. AND I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD SEND DONATIONS!!!! but being poor i will not be sending any yet :P but i am working over the summer and i will be LOADED at the end of it so i will probably send you a few quid. £1 or £2 summit like that ;)

And yes i think it will be a good idea to put that link up somewhere so ppl can send donations, cos although i might want to, i havent a clue how to!!!

So yes keep this site just how it is :D

Cap