Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: To Pack or Not to Pack  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
To Pack or Not to Pack
« on: 10 Mar 2003, 02:33:33 »
Hello,
i just want to pose the following question to the Community:

Should some big OFP sites (like OFPEC) release Theme Packs for OFP ?

Like the SEB Nam Pack 2, these Packs would be rather large (50 ~ 250 MB), will be updated only once half a year and contain all good/necessary Addons (Units East and West, weapons, etc.), islands, scripts and existing good missions around a specific topic. Althouh a readme with all authors, info about the unit versions, some pics.. should be included. A Team of four or five people should take care of one Pack, testing new AddOns, adressing problems, deciding what should be in the new package. And makes an install/deinstall programm (optional) for all the AddOns.

E.G.
- The Winter Theme Pack
- The Civil Missions Theme Pack

Pros:
- Easier Download
- A lot of missions with the same Theme Pack

Cons:
- Less chances for new AddOns/Islands not in a Pack
- Lot of work for the responsible Theme Team.
- Big site needed for the necessary marketing power (not to have X site Winter package and Y site Winter package and Z site Winter package)

Please send your comment.

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
Re:To Pack or Not to Pack
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2003, 04:10:53 »
This has been discussed before. I honestly can't remember the direct outcome of the discussion, except that it was decided unfeasible due to Permissions, deciding which addons go in the back, who distributes it, etcetc.

It was felt there wouldn't be much room for manuvering.

I think, honestly, the easiest option is simply for people to download what they want when they want it.

It is still something to be looked into, but for now, I think it is far down on the priority list.
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.