Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Clear Water - Vietnam  (Read 6772 times)

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
  • The night is my friend.
    • DarkAngels Missions
Re:Clear Water - Vietnam
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jan 2004, 11:39:07 »
Hi Hawkins,

Sounds pretty odd. There are no mines around the base perimeter. I think what may have happened, if you were north-west of the base, is that you ran into an old booby-trap from a different version of the mission, which I've now deleted. It was an OK idea - there was a tempting little sampan to allow you to avoid the choke point at the river crossing, which was of course surrounded by mines - but not very well implemented, and anyway this side of the river is supposed to be clear now - at least so close to the SF camp.

Anyway, I've uploaded a version with the sampan and mines removed if you want to have a look at that.

In order to "see" the marines I do indeed use a knowsabout trigger, it's set to a very low value to compensate for them being under camo. CreateUnit isn't used at all and the enemies don't respawn.

Cheers
Dark
"Moondark" in Beta Testing

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jan 2004, 16:45:37 »
Sounds good. :D I'll download it and check it out! :)

Hawkins

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jan 2004, 09:45:38 »
Played it through. :) Didn't find any bugs. Everything worked cool. Just a few suggestions:

When I got to the ville, the text about the ville being infested with gooks showed only for a few seconds and then it reported the marines. Maybe put a small, maybe 8 second, delay on before the text about the marines is showed? This is to prevent the text flashing away too early if the player spots the marines right after he spotted the ville. ;) You know what I mean? ;D

English isn't my best language (I'm finnish) so I don't know for sure, but in the debriefing when it says; stiffer than expected resistance or something like that, wouldn't it sound better if it was; stiffer resistance than expected? As I said I'm not sure and what I've gathered you know more about english than me ;D so I'll rest my case. ;) Just a thought. :P

I got 7 men left, including me, at the end. The ending trigger seemed to activate when all team members were in the base, which was good. ;) Finished in about 30-40 minutes, with score about 1700. I should have taken notes of those but the thought slipped from my mind. :P

This is a great mission! I'm eagerly waiting for the version with voices (I hope you get voice actors), music (Right? :P ) and cinematics. :)

Hawkins

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jan 2004, 22:56:02 »
Thanks Hawk!  :D

The gooks infested and marines spotted messages actually use seperate triggers, which is a bit of a problem. I'll probably change that. Maybe just have one of your squad spot the marines or something.

Voice actors will probably have to wait until the Recruitment Depot comes back on line and I can beg people!  :P I'm a Brit and while I could fake an American accent (very badly) it wouldn't be the same...

The language in the debriefing is a bit clunky, you're right. I'll simplify it.

I think the playing part of the mission is pretty much ready to release, it's just getting the details of music, sound and cinematics right, which may take a while.

Anyway, thanks for your help and glad you enjoyed the mission!  :) (Great site by the way, it was really useful  ;D)

Dark Out

Munk D

« Reply #19 on: 08 Jan 2004, 00:37:40 »
Played for about 15 minutes, complete objective 1 and havent found any bugs yet  :) Just a freak accident involving a gook and his own minefield  :P I was straight down on my gut crapping my pants when that happend. Is he meant to blow himself to hell or what?

While searching the up river bank for anyone planning to ambush I discovered a sniper and took him out wondering how he missed me crossing the river. I tried taking my whole squad across, then the Jeep and finally the truck. Nothing. Im thinking he's the worlds first blind sniper  ???

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #20 on: 09 Jan 2004, 02:17:14 »
Hey Munk,

Thanks for having a go. The blind sniper - to be honest, I just stuck that guy there without giving him any waypoints or anything. Should be sorted out now. The gook blowing himself up - well, that's never happened before. They're supposed to stay behind the line of AP mines. Ah well... will take a look at the waypointing/triggering there and see if I can sort it out.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the mission.

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #21 on: 07 Feb 2004, 03:36:33 »
Make the mines activated by east  ;)?
Are mines in real lifew able to distinguish who stood on them?
Wow! What an invention, no more innocent people killed or maimed by landmines. Cool or what?
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

deaddog

« Reply #22 on: 07 Feb 2004, 03:41:35 »
Think of it this way.  In real life, these guys would know where the mines are and avoid them.  But this is OFP and sometimes you have to help the AI out.

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #23 on: 07 Feb 2004, 20:37:41 »
Interesting points guys. I'll change the activation to East and see if that helps.

This mission is pretty much ready to go I think, just intro and outro to finish. I've got a couple of other missions I'm developing but if there are any other comments it'd be great to hear them for this one!