Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Group splitting  (Read 5469 times)

SimonRussi

Group splitting
« on: 20 Aug 2002, 09:27:25 »
Hi guys...
private again huh? :)

Ok, i have a 2 men group hanging around... they rendesvouz with a 12 men group and i want the two groups splitted and both of my two man start leading a group of total 7 men. I see how i can make it from scripting but my problems start when i want to have some Wp's for the 2 groups... i don't know how to create WP's for a group that actually doesn't exist yet.

Anybody can help? :)

T.S.C.Plage

Re:Group splitting
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2002, 10:58:40 »
Ok, the first thing is done with the "Join GrpNull" command.

For the waypoints you can add some "invisble Hs" and tell your unit to "domove getpos".

Example:

leader1 join GrpNull
(soldier1 join leader1, soldier2 join leader1 ...)
leader1 domove getpos h1
? leader1 distance h1 < 1 : leader1 domove getpos h2
...and so on.

That's my way...

Greetz
Plage

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2002, 13:00:37 »
well..... two solve the 2 waypoints problem -

make the 2 men who group up with you seperate and withy their own waypoint - then give them 6 men each  :P
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

SimonRussi

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2002, 13:27:56 »
well TSC, thanks but i really need WP's since i have to create GETIN, GETOUT amd that sort of things...

To Messiah, you mean i have to create the whole mission with my group splitted up? i will not be able to give'em orders....

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2002, 14:21:27 »
no, i'll tray and explain.

waypoints can only be set at the start of a mission - so to have 1 group become 2 with 2 new leaders from another group you have to have the 2 men who join and lead the new groups - they need their own waypoints and are not grouped togeather

thats way, when the 12 man group comes along, 6 go to man1, 6 go to man2 and they follow the waypoint you set for the 2 seperate men.

hope that helps.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

SimonRussi

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2002, 16:59:38 »
well, OK, so i cannot do it my way.

So, in the mission im making i want these 2 men (one controlled by the player) performing a recon on an enemy base as a group, then they call in reinforcement and this big groups come in and they attack from 2 side (that's why i'd like to create these 2 smaller groups from the big one). Any solution. The only solution i found is to make 2 different missions (well, a campaign :) ): the first ends when the recon's over and the second starts when the reinforcement arrives. But by now i haven't got a clue on how to create a campaign :).

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2002, 17:07:19 »
you can use the move command

unitname move [400,100]

Bremmer

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2002, 17:31:59 »
A neat trick courtesy of Ozzie (or was it Ottie ?)

Create a dummy unit on your side (east/west) and give it waypoint where you want the split group to go. In the units init field put:

splitgrp = group this; deletevehicle this

This unit will be deleted, but the waypoints associated with the group remain active. Now when you want to split a group instead of getting them to join grpnull, have the units splitting off from the main group join splitgrp. eg. [unit1,unit2,unit3] join splitgroup.

Hey-presto, your new group has its own waypoints!

:)

SimonRussi

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2002, 18:07:46 »
ok bremmer, gonna try it this evening and we'll see if tomorrow i can strike the solve button :).

SimonRussi

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2002, 09:34:22 »
hmmmm, well....
I tried this:
i have this 2 men group and a 4 men group (1st group units are called g1m1, g1m2, 2nd group units are called g2m1..g2m4) and i have 2 empty groups called attgrp1 and attgrp2.... i execute a script with these commands

[g1m1, g2m1, g2m2] join attgrp1
[g1m2, g2m3, g2m4] join attgrp2

When the script is executed the programs quit to Windows without any error reported.....

Anybody got a clue.....?

Bremmer

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2002, 10:58:33 »
Can you post the mission so we can take a better look.

Cheers

Scratchdat

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2002, 11:17:03 »
Simon what do u mean u have 2 empty groups? A group no longer exists if it becomes empty.

I think the problem is that you cant tell the units to join a group that doesn't exist yet. If you do, Flashpoint probably gets an illegal operation and will shut down (and for some reason no error message  :-\)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2002, 12:03:00 »
well TSC, thanks but i really need WP's since i have to create GETIN, GETOUT amd that sort of things...

Y not just use da assignas nd unassignvehicle commands ?

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

SimonRussi

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2002, 12:18:01 »
to Scratchdat:
i tried what Bremmer suggested: i created a group with its WP's then i deleted the unit which formed this group. Take a look at his post....

To LCD:
Simon looks at his assignas and unassignas and wonders: "OK, now, what am i supposed to do with these?" :). Really, how can i use them in this situation?

Cannot post the mission cause the mission is at home PC and i am at the work (sssttt.... speak low, or the boss will hear you...), gotta wait this afternoon :).

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2002, 12:23:19 »
all u do is using da assignas commands

unitname assignascargo vehiclename - wil make unit get in da cargo of da vehicle

unitname assignasgunner vehiclename - wil make unit get in as gunner of da vehicle

unitname assignasdriver vehiclename - wil make unit get in as driver of da vehicle

unitname assignascommander vehiclename - wil make unit get in as commander of da vehicle

------------------------------------------------------------

nd wen u want em 2 go out use

unassignvehicle unitname

------------------------------------------------------------

u c ? dont nees WPs

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta