Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: I would like some peoples opinions on real time missions!!  (Read 1692 times)

Iwesshome

All,

A lot of the missions created in the past use to be very quick and single-minded missions. As time and tools developed people have begun to create very detailed and interesting missions, campaigns and mods.

I was wondering how people felt about real-time missions?

Example:

Day starts off around 6:30am in your camp, barracks, ect..... You would have to retrieve your gear and meet up with your group at a specified time for briefing.... lets say 6:45 (times depending where it is and time to get to it) From there your group would deploy to what ever scenario it would be... maybe deploy into 5 ton trucks to head to airport to be mass inserted by chopper, boat, etc. to specified location and then half to hump it on foot to a specified area.

This could be 5K to 20K away through hostile territory or friendly country to go set-up base of operations... whatever. Now the time to do this could be 8:30 now to where it might receive orders by radio to do something else....

I think you are getting the picture I am trying to create. I am thinking of creating missions by day... not extremely long but would have multiple objectives in it and possibly turn into a campaign that leaves off a different mission on how long I determine it.

Now I know this may cause a lot of scripting or careful mission planning but I believe the idea is sound. I look at these islands that were officially created and others by third parties and they are massive and able to support this type of scenarios.

I know I would have to be careful because this is not real life and you don't want to sit in one spot for 30 min. not doing anything…. What fun is that? I am wondering who would want to play it?

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
Re:I would like some peoples opinions on real time missions!!
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2003, 20:37:17 »
 :-\  I'd play it but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it, you'd need to have a savegame as a radio command so the player can come and go as they want. And you'll have to use createvehicle and deletevehicle alot, you'd probably have to have a out of bounds trigger that follows the player around the map too, to stop him going back to a place where you've deleted all the units.

And you'd have to come up with a good story and some decent conversation to keep the player interested for so long, its very possible it just might be crap  :-\

Iwesshome

« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2003, 11:54:48 »
True.... Thats why I kinda wanted peoples feeling on this before I set off on this to end up wasting my time. I truly do appreciate your thoughts on it though.

teeBore

« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2003, 13:49:58 »
I was thinking of doing something like that at some stage, but haven't really got round to it both because of lack of interest from myself and possibly the ppl playing it. Still though I think it would be a fantastic idea.

One idea to eliminate any boredom is to implement a 'sleep' system that allows the player to rest up at base, ie in a 3 day campaign there would be about 72 hours of playing time, but you could cut that down to about half by placing key periods in which the player can rest up, reload ammo, repair vehicles etc etc.

Also speaking of vehicles, considering this will be a real-time map, there should be a limited supply so that the player must grow accustomed to taking care of his multi-million dollar apache... :) knowing that if he doesn't bring it home, it won't be available to him on the next operation.

Iwesshome, I don't think there has been any other games made with the power of flashpoint, and to create a real-time map would set a new standard for gameplay basically because it has never been done before, (not to this extent anyway). I'm all for what you might be planning to do, so if you do have the energy to conjure up such a mission (or should I call it 'lifestyle' :P), then I'll be the first one to give it a go.

Cheers,
teebore

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2003, 15:47:48 »
I'd die for a mission like that.

/edit I think dying is an overreaction. Therefore although grateful i wouldn't be that grateful...
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2003, 18:25:51 by woofer »

Iwesshome

« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2003, 16:29:46 »
I was sitting here and thinking the way I may do it is this...

1. Make several missions (maybe three missions for one day) into one campaign to break up the boredom.

2. I have seen in the official single player games I believe in the Red Hammer campaign you are a prisoner that starts in the day.... flown to a base and all of a sudden night appears.

Figure out how to do that and I am in business.

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2003, 18:23:22 »
From the Official Command Reference (Go Here):

skipTime duration
Operand types:
    duration: Number
Type of returned value:
    Nothing
Description:
    Skip time. Daytime is adjusted, weather change is estimated, no changes in any units are done. Duration is in hours.

Example:
    skipTime 2.5
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2003, 18:24:17 by woofer »

Iwesshome

« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2003, 19:35:25 »
Ok.... Is this put into a trigger?

Gummi

« Reply #8 on: 09 Feb 2003, 00:41:14 »
yes, or in a script  8)

Iwesshome

« Reply #9 on: 09 Feb 2003, 11:54:52 »
Well I think it sums it up..... I will give it a shot for one mission and have you guys test, If you dont mind. If it works good I will continue to produce more.