Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: MOHAA weapons totall conversion...  (Read 9257 times)

Eviscerator

Re:MOHAA weapons totall conversion...
« Reply #15 on: 09 Feb 2003, 03:08:04 »
yeah but he didn't pay to play it once or twice. he paid for the whole game, so if someone paid for a whole tv and took it, that would be different. that is not stealing.

if you pay for something you should be able to do what ever the hell you want with it. (as long as it doesn't kill someone)
He doesnt pay for the whole game, he pays for one license of the game, an example from the ofp license agreement:

THE PROGRAM is protected by the copyright laws of England, international copyright treaties and conventions and other laws. The Program is licensed, and not sold, and this Agreement confers no title or ownership to the program or any copy thereof.

1. Limited User License. Codemasters grants you the non-exclusive, non transferable, limited right and license to use one copy of the Program for personal use on a single computer.

Blah blah....more legal babble, but an important bit:

YOU SHALL NOT:
- Copy the program, except a single backup copy.
- Sell, rent, lease, license, distribute or otherwise transfer or make available to any other person the program, in whole or in part<snip> you can read the rest if you really want by turning to the back of your ofp manual.

Now, i guarantee MOH:AA has a similar if not identical agreement, so to summarise what its basically saying is:

You have not purchased the program, you have purchased the right for you, and solely you to use this program under the conditions of the agreement, which state you can not transfer the program or any part of it (including models or textures, or sounds).

So, importing these weapon models into ofp is highly illegal...

Kaliyuga

« Reply #16 on: 09 Feb 2003, 03:17:32 »
   I know someone first hand that got a rather nasty letter from EA games regarding modifications  he had made to some of their models and such...
(Not for OFP, but another game )
so I would have to agree with Evis on this one guys....  

The man knows what he's talking about
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2003, 03:18:51 by Kaliyuga »

Bronski

« Reply #17 on: 09 Feb 2003, 05:32:05 »
You pay for the right to play the game, the intellectual property does not become yours.

Listen to Evi, he hit the nail on the head.  Besides, there are or will be models that are superior to these.  They won't be retricted by the specs that the game developers set.

When it comes to sounds you can't very well copyright the sound of a gun or a cricket.  You will hear sounds in multiple movies, games professionally developed or mods because many are from sound libraries that are bought by those making the games and such.  They bought the right to use them.

I'd rather wait for the better stuff that will be put out by the OFP community.  

Frosty

« Reply #18 on: 09 Feb 2003, 06:42:56 »
Well, that is all true, especially about the intellectual property stuff, but c'mon, its gonna be awhile before ANYBODY releases a SVT or K43 of MOH quality. Especially the SVT. IV44 has good quality, but jesus its gonan be awhile to finish it.

Marss911

« Reply #19 on: 09 Feb 2003, 12:09:52 »
Well where doing our best.
But for good and nice stuff we need time..
Its not like you do it in one hour :)

Marcel

pertti49

« Reply #20 on: 09 Feb 2003, 14:33:31 »
My personal opinion is that EA whount loose a penny if somebody makes a convertion of their weapons and whount make Mohaas sell rating any lesser
greetings:pertti49

pepper2k

« Reply #21 on: 09 Feb 2003, 15:38:17 »
I SAY WE RAPE THE ONE WHO TELL EA!

Btw evis, you don't have to be so cute all the time :]

Eviscerator

« Reply #22 on: 09 Feb 2003, 16:02:03 »
i cant help it :)

Upminder

« Reply #23 on: 09 Feb 2003, 23:45:39 »
Enfield MKII Sniper

[img removed]enfields.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2003, 23:46:11 by Upminder »

Offline FA Dalai Lamar

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2003, 06:41:32 »
Well as a lawyer...I'd say they'd (EA) have a really tough time getting a lawsuit into court...threatening letters maybe...I'st called a bluff. Since he credits the source of these models amply in a readme and there is no profit whatsoever to upminder....he can do so  at will. We can quote international CW laws all the live long day if we want to but trust you me there is nothing "highly illegal" since the mod does not really infringe on the original games place in the market or challenge EA's ability to make a profit or infringe on their profits he is fine. Your analogy about stealing is based on your own views and not the the rules of law. I assure you that EA will be ok with or without this addons existance. I think every addon maker in this universe would be in a heap of trouble if companies were as nit-picky as Evis about CW. Much like a cover band...Upminder credits EA  with the models and textures so please spare us the puritanical preaching about stealing....To be stealing he would have to claim these addons as his own...which he does not...printed in  the readme and cpp he he credits EA very clearly.....not trying to be combative here but I just hate to see someone do something for free for the community and be hounded....I am off to enjoy my PPSH ;D

DL

PS: Evis not aiming this at you.....I see what you are saying....but please ask aany lawyer if you doubt me...British or Otherwise.....In fact this does very little to hurt EA...It just makes them look good...UPMinder...keep up the good work...especiallly that great new motorcycle. :D

pertti49

« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2003, 09:55:59 »
Just the way it is, you took words out of my mouth ;) so how about converting playermodels? i really whould like to play with those SS guys ;)
greetings:pertti49

leonardt

« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2003, 23:17:20 »
EA don't loose a copper penny out of this, in fact I'd say they don't know about it, never will, and would be pretty sad saps if they took any kind of legal action, simpley because it doesn't matter anywat. Good luck to Upminder, and bring on the player mods as well!

Leonard ;Dt

Astatine

« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2003, 23:22:05 »
The models are really nice and all, but how about some custom sights perhpaps??
 ;)
What are the editor names of these weapons too pls?

Upminder

« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2003, 23:46:40 »
BMW :Coming Soon:)
[img removed]bmw5.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2003, 23:48:08 by Upminder »

Upminder

« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2003, 23:56:49 »
Weapons/Ammo

UP_THOM / UP_THOMMag
UP_SVT / UP_SVTMag