Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New model NVG  (Read 2571 times)

Marsuitor

New model NVG
« on: 26 Aug 2002, 21:01:55 »
With all these new modern soldiers coming out, why isn't anyone making an up to date pair of NVG's?
I'm tired of that big 80's lunchbox stuck to my face every time night comes-a-creeping...
A real pair of helmet mounted goggles/monoculars is what we need!

Seriously, can't be that hard to model :-\, can it? ???

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Re:New model NVG
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2002, 21:17:21 »
not hard to model - since its a smaller box with a cylinder on...

very possible, but im guessing that it would only be made for a large addon of units, not on its own
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2002, 03:28:05 »
Yeah but how would you Improve the Quality of the Vision? Because I Know Now NV technology is 30% better than it was in the Gulf War and Now the US is calling them NOD's, Night Observation Devices (I found that out in Blackhawk Down the Book) and the Field of View is Smaller in A Circle shape (But The Games Size is Fine). :)

tai mai shu

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2002, 04:34:34 »
i know its probably impossible without COMPLETELY modifying the game engine.  bu what if they made thermal goggles/sights?  i mean, a lot of western units such as the m1 abrams, or A10, have FLIR sensors that can pickup units thru all sorts of smoke rain and fog.

but what if you made it so that every unit in a certain range, when the FLIR is activated, "glows" like, using the drop command, a Blur of light is created around the units, and the screen is colored red.  i think thatd work great, and look cool.

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2002, 05:42:30 »
Has anyone thought of making a NV sight for an M4?

tai mai shu

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2002, 10:20:21 »
hmm, how bout checking if a certain unit has a certain weapon, than give him NV goggles.

that way, no addon needed.

or how bout if a person is using NV goggles, and theres an explosion or flare that goes off too close to the guy with NV, than he goes blind for a while.  its VERY easy to make him go blind, just do the fadewhite thingy.  its just really dificult to detect if he can see the flare or not (dont want a flare to blind the guy from behind...)

Marsuitor

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2002, 14:00:59 »
or how bout if a person is using NV goggles, and theres an explosion or flare that goes off too close to the guy with NV, than he goes blind for a while.  its VERY easy to make him go blind, just do the fadewhite thingy.  its just really dificult to detect if he can see the flare or not (dont want a flare to blind the guy from behind...)

Most 2nd/3rd gen NODs have quite efficient dimmers in them. Not just for the sake of protecting eyes, but to protect the NOD from burnout if exposed to extremely bright light.
So a suggestion would be to write a script, if possible, to simulate a burnout should someone be unfortunate enough to stare straight into a big explosion or vehicle lamp at very close range.

Skaven

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2002, 14:26:37 »
I think this is an interesting topic so I wanned to drop my two cents opinion ;D
In my opinion I think you guys are complicating the process, let's put it this way we can make a sight for the weapons editing Alpha Channels right?
Well if we classify the Googles as a weapon Hand Gun or something like it, than with Alpha Channels we can make whatever we want, you pick it  ;) green, blue, white, black,pink and black  ;D

Please correct me if I'm wrong  ???

Offline Gastovski

• Members
  • #loop; Gastovski setdammage 0; ~0.01; goto "loop";
    • Falklands Mod
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2002, 15:46:38 »
It i a good idea, but the NV Goggles are a bit more than an overlay. They enhance the vision at night in the game... A imple overlay can't do this. If someone had a look at the config file maybe it could be figured out (I don't khave OFP here at the mo... ;()

Marsuitor

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2002, 20:11:44 »
I think this is an interesting topic so I wanned to drop my two cents opinion ;D
In my opinion I think you guys are complicating the process, let's put it this way we can make a sight for the weapons editing Alpha Channels right?
Well if we classify the Googles as a weapon Hand Gun or something like it, than with Alpha Channels we can make whatever we want, you pick it  ;) green, blue, white, black,pink and black  ;D

Please correct me if I'm wrong  ???

Someone over at the DKM forum meant the same. Use a green bitmap and put an alpha channel in it.
Should make it nice and green during the day. But there must be some code that tells the game to crank up the brightness/contrast once the goggles are equipped...

Question to the hardcore editing folks here;
Is every game setting contained within a .cpp file of some sort, or is some stuff hardcoded (Not counting engine limitations)?

crampski

« Reply #10 on: 02 Sep 2002, 15:03:12 »
One major problem, you cant make NVG's as an addon, they are hard coded into the game, i tried it ages ago and they dont work at, the same with binoculars, the only way to change them is to replace the entire data,pbo, which is kinda big dont you think?

ZIKAN

« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2002, 16:58:26 »
What about making a night scope for weapons then?
No NV goggles, just make a scope on a weapon work as a NV device.

crampski

« Reply #12 on: 02 Sep 2002, 17:14:44 »
nope! tried it too! that darn hard coding again...