Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Operation Black Dragon Beta Tester wanted.  (Read 8379 times)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Operation Black Dragon Beta Tester wanted.
« on: 01 Feb 2017, 17:35:08 »
Ok, here's a bit of retro for you guys. I've created a 18 mission campaign for ArmA, just for my own sheer pleasure of tinkering, and it has got to the stage where I'm going to need testers.

I am going to be releasing it one mission at a time. This is because I have played many user made campaigns over the years and found that I get many hours in just to get stuck. I recall this even happened with OFP at one stage. Also, if there is a mission that seems impossible, you can just skip it only having lost an end cutscene. (There is over an hour of fully voiced cutscenes in this campaign)

I would like whoever is willing to reinstall the game and play it. I obviously can't be too picky when we're talking about a game that has been dormant for ten years!

Anyway, let me know if you are interested and I will provide the files.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2017, 20:37:54 by The-Architect »
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: Operation Black Dragon Beta Tester wanted.
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2017, 05:22:25 »
ugh, guess I will suffer through. Go ahead and upload the files my friend. The Arma animations are just so clunky after playing the Arma 2 and even more fluid 3. But I'll regain the hang of it.

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2017, 13:42:30 »
Thanks.  :D

Ok, I've uploaded the whole thing. Simply copy and paste the folder directly into your missions folder and it should give you a dedicated Operation Black Dragon page in which you'll find my missions in game.

There are many features, including easter eggs, and the only issue that I know about is the smoke effect bug which is addon related. Enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssndsq7xxglh8ap/Operation%20Black%20Dragon.zip?dl=0

Addons needed are included in the "Addon" link here. https://opblackdragon.blogspot.co.uk/
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2017, 00:50:20 by The-Architect »
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2017, 07:25:05 »
I've attempted the first mission several times. The intro reaches the point where the president is standing on the balcony asking why he is looking at his city, then the game crashes. I skip the intro and each time I pull the trigger or detonate the satchels in the first mission, the game crashes. It keeps popping up the error in the attached image.

I have downloaded the addons, placed them in an Addons folder which is in an @OBD folder in the main directory and then called them with the -mod=@OBD command in the launch parameters. That solved the mission being able to load but did not prevent this error.

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2017, 12:50:38 »
Found the culprit.

The attached file goes into the dta folder.

Apologies.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2017, 22:11:04 »
Thank ye sire.

Okay. Completely Vanilla except for your requisites. Final version of Arma Gold
Mission 1
After the smoke config was settled, all went well. I infiltrated the base, took out one guard in a tower, avoided the rest, placed 23 satchels on the fuel tanks, repair urals, ammo urals, BMP's, and helicopters. Even one on what I thought were ammo crates tucked into a tank garage. Set off the demo and fled to the north side of the airfield and on to the OP pos. I won't critique things like camera angles story integrity, dialogue or voice acting, in fact, I will only report bugs. For this mission there were none.

Mission 2
Charged in, glassed all the targets for my guys, lost  squad member 4 as he bull rushed in around a corner and was mowed down. I was little put off by the fact that all targets that were destroyed earlier that morning were still alive and well. Oh well. Cake walk to each objective, when the counter attack was announced, I rushed to an ammo ural and grabbed a satchel. Raced to the south gate near the fuel dump. All tanks but one was smoking. I placed a satchel at the gate entrance (not knowing where he was going) and I lucked out as he drove right over it. We cleared out the infantry before they withdrew. Formed up again on the airstrip and mission ended.

So far, I like the order of events. sabotage, followed by air strike on strategic targets then landing to establish a foothold. All seems solid though I must confess, after playing Arma3, this title sucks in many places. Things like having the option to fire a launcher while standing, switching stances mid run without stopping, being able to step over stuff, placing a waypoint on the map during the mission, even being able to lower your weapon are missed features. I'll test more missions soon. I need to test h-s' tool for him.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2017, 06:09:53 by savedbygrace »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2017, 20:10:16 »
Hmm, I may have to give this one a whack if I find the time.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2017, 02:17:42 »
I know it isn't ArmA 3. Maybe, if I get the bug again, I'll upgrade. This was just a fun project for me. Just to see if I could do it.

The first missions are designed to be easy. They get harder. There are some big battles too.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2017, 09:53:26 »
Been so long since I played ArmA that I have forgotten how the save game logic works, because if I save with 0-0-0 radio and then hit load it actually loads the save I made with the save button in the pause menu, and not the autosave created by savegame  ???

Anyhoo, only critique I would have about the first mission (which I'm currently in) is that I'd assume the SF guys wouldn't go in with such low grade intel, since the partizan guys have provided the location of the choppers they could have made some rough hand-drawn schematic of the place. :dunno:

EDIT:
Well that was a long ass mission :P
Nothing to complain about really, ran smooth etc.
Well, one gripe I had that no visible waypoints, I'm such a lamer that I find those to be less annoying than navigating with the GPS, compass and map.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2017, 10:59:50 by h- »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2017, 20:54:51 »
Second one, also bug free.
Lolled at the fact that I blew both our airfield objectives in the previous mission :P

Didn't even remember how much of an AK-snipers the AI was back then.
And how I suck at commanding a squad....  :whistle:

Started Buena Vista and got a message saying I'm missing an addon called RAE_sandbagFix.  :dunno:

EDIT:
Mission played out fine though.
The only bug I observed was that my character was speaking with a chopper or something even though I had just been blown apart by a T-72, but that's pretty minor.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2017, 21:55:41 by h- »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2017, 02:41:40 »
Thanks for the updates. Obviously I can't bump these threads so I'm occasionally checking the site for your comments.

I really hope you guys don't lose heart and quit. There are some really good missions further on. The first few really are introductions. The SF missions are hard, unless you take your time and play old school OFP tactics, so you might feel the desire to skip them. There are cutscenes though so I'd advise against it.

I'm aware of the limitations and frustrations of going back to play an old game butI hope you fall into the rhythm of things after a few goes.

I guess I'm being a bit of a loser and asking you to stick with it. Pretty please.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2017, 17:05:13 »
Don't lose faith. Some of us just have more going on in RL than we use to and our game time becomes a choice of whether to just play a little or test one of the other projects. I keep meaning to test H-'s tool before getting back to yours and then on to Undeceiveds' campaign and I will eventually.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2017, 21:24:39 »
Played 'Dawn Attack' just now but it won't end, the Somato and CP objectives won't get ticked even though all friendlies have long seized searching around Somato and actually stand on western end of it as a huge cluster.

The CP was empty, just some unoccupied vehicles there.

Dunno if it not ending is due to the old 'hunt for the last bush-ruskie' or the fact that one of my guys got shellshock after the first objective and refused to move :dunno:

Got some missing modelDefault errors every now and then around the first objective (I guess something borked with the Shilkas because their muzzleflashes were always visible), also error about missing sandbag fix addon, like in the previous mission.

Also, I thought I was losing my mind but for some unfathomable reason all the radio talks and shots had a long reverb on them, a bit perplexed as to where that came from. ???

Anyhoo, on second try the mission ended properly.

EDIT:
Effective Enemy Fire went without a hickup, apart from the annoyance that the mission ended just the same second when some MGer nailed three of my guys in a row (and was obviously killed by someone as well)..
Oh, and that missing RAE_sandbagFix error popped up in the beginning.

The same error actually prevents me from playing the next one, Force Majeure. Kicks me back to mission selection screen..
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2017, 21:59:09 by h- »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #13 on: 02 Apr 2017, 11:25:18 »
Ok, the culprit for the RAE sanbagFix was this, was apparently missing from the campaign addons?:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1607

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2017, 05:57:47 »
I tried the third mission and became frustrated with the AI. They suck. That is all there is to it. They blow up our own Humvees, they don't engage when they should, they don't go where I order them to go, they won't hold fire when I order them to and I just got tired of dealing with them. Enemy tanks would rather pick on my infantry than grow balls and engage other armor. The AI in later titles is only slightly improved but without the other improvements to balance the frustration, I'd rather not waste what little gaming time I do have on this title. I'm truly sorry. I may decide to take another whack at it if I get more time but right now, I'd rather stay away from this title.