Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Kazaa Club (Not Warez)  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Kazaa Club (Not Warez)
« on: 06 Dec 2002, 01:33:55 »
heres an idea i was toying with...

now for us 56k peeps, some new addons are really straining the connection and i also have a 2 hour cut off... this is a real pain as it resets the download...

now i recently got GetRight which allows u to continue downloads - but only if the server allows resuming.

so, im sure a large proportion of us lot have Kazaa and maybe it would be a nice idea if some of the faster connection peeps placed the hefty files in their shared folder for us to download? That way we could continue downloads and get it in the end...

just requires some team work among ourselves.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Re:Kazaa Club (Not Warez)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2002, 02:47:25 »
I've mentioned this idea a long time ago when OFPEC was having serious bandwisth troubles. A sort of "user group" could be set up of people with boradband and an extra gig or two to spare. A page would have to be set up with where members could post their membership (IP adresses or whatnot), and a list of filenames for the addons (for searching puposes).

Is kaza gnutella compliant, or is it proprietary peer2peer?
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2002, 03:05:45 »
It's an idea we don't want to pursue, for the fact that we don't want people having to download programs such as Kazaa etcetc, and that the effort involved in designing our own is not worth the output.

Things aren't so bad now-adays. Our server is Resume compliant, is it not? If not, we'll make it so.
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2002, 16:48:29 »
hmmmmm....

toady - its p2p

wolfsbane - its not a d/l issue im on about, but its the time involved... and the NP2 isnt on your server (is it?) and so i have to get it from another - and only 1 of the ones is resume compliant...

now i dont mean that we all access the ofpec addons through kazaa - but all im saying is it would be a good idea if people placed ofp addons in their kazaa folder so we can share them - especially helpful for slower connections because we can resume no problems.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2002, 20:07:09 »
It could be done off-the-record perhaps.

Us blessed with fast connections can help you little struggling 56kers, but not under OFPEC flag.

Just drop me a line when you're on, and you can get NP2 off of me. I've got Kazaa installed and the works.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Monkey Lib Front

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2002, 00:56:04 »
talking about addons when will the addon depot be back up?

BlinkDog

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2002, 03:33:38 »
I'm all for it. Those peeps that do have tortise modems and cut off times need something that allows them to reconnect later if need be. Personally I have a really fast cable connection so I will be happy to put addons in my shared folder. I also have a second puter I can set up just for that purpose. I'll have something by next week.

kevinfostereditguy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2002, 23:28:10 »
i have the gamspot download mangager you can get from www.gamespot.com and its very helpful for me cause i have a 56k too. all you do is right click on the download, then click get it with the manager. this starts downloading, and if you get cut off or pause the download you can just resume from where you left off later on. hope this helps.