Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Short Straight (Nam)  (Read 7895 times)

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
(Review Completed) [SP] Short Straight (Nam)
« on: 09 Dec 2002, 06:13:33 »
Here's the deal:
It should work in both SP and MP (coop).  The chatter you getting on the bottom of the screen I'll replace with sound files sometime soon.
The helos work, although occasionally you will get an incident on those formation landings.  In those cases, I have 4 backup helo to help extract them.
The landing, with the prepfire, the ARA barrage on the trees, the door gunners going cyclic, and a platoon running around hte LZ, is pretty CPU-intensive, but I speed things up very quickly thereafter.
In building it, I had a problem where it would trip the crash bug.  I cleaned it up with FPS improvements, and it doesn't show up more than once every 10 hours or so.
The Artillery Spotter calls in the mission when the heavy weaps start firing.
A few debug hooks are there (a hint you might see if a helo crashes or something)
So I'd appreciate some feedback on playability, timing, difficulty and any bugs

Oh well.  Seems it's 52.1 kb zipped.  PM me for a copy.

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2010, 03:02:06 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
Dinger/Cfit

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
Re:Yet another AirCav/X-Ray/Helo NP2 mission
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2002, 05:48:09 »
A very, very well done mission.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

jb

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2002, 14:37:38 »
this is true ebud.

also quite realistic for ofp.

everything went well. ran smooth on my pc (900mhz).
i played three times.

first time: half way from the lz to the obj my team stopped and proceeded no farther...restart

second time: this time we got to the enemy area and started kicking ass. one wierd thing happened. after we got the "objective completed" message, i coulden't resist mounting one of those enemy heavy mg's and popping a few rounds. after i dismounted (my team was heading back to the lz), my team-leader kept ordering me back into the mg. and i had a wp "mount". is that supposed to be like that? i think not cause my team was still heading back to the lz and i was alone (no enemy either).

caught up with the team and got ambushed not far from the lz (nice touch). whipped ass then got a wp "join others" at the lz. waited around at the lz and got the message that dodge and buick were in bound. then it got a bit confusing. the helos landed and i boarded one. then charlie started attacking the parimeter of the lz so i dismounted and joined the fire-fight. i was still capping charlie when everyone else ran to the helos and mounted. i wasen't fast enough getting there and they ALL flew away!...reload.

this time i jumped in a helo and just waited. when we got to base the mission ended and my objectives were not checked off in the briefing. (see attached pic).

all in all, a really cool mission.

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2002, 17:45:09 »
Yes, this one ranks up there on the realism scale, which puts it in the top 5 favorites for me.

I haven't had time to finish it though. The first time I was just trying to look around and figure out how he did everything. The second time, I just stayed in formation, and eventually got hit by one of the mortars, 3rd time I took out the mortars on the hill, but eventually a NVA recon troop took it over and again I was hit close to the clearing.

I did edit the darn thing and added that song from the barber shop at the beginning of FMJ.... you know the one. hehe, it adds quite a bit to the long intro :)

I might suggest if there is anyway to cut the sound at the beginning... so i don't hear the command to move being given. It kills the whole ambiance to hear that. I think a brief period of total silence would be more dramatic, then possibly have either some minimalist oriental flute play ( I tried it... very moody ) or play a period song such as the one I tried. If you do go the route of playing 60's music at the beginning, try to use something that is a bit fresher. Almost everything has been beat to death... even a recorded quote by LBJ or Nixon ( found both of them on Bearshare) adds more depth and emotion than Painted Black or Fortunate Son.

hehe, that's if you add music.

I really like the idea of using custom voices for the radio's in the end. In Soundforge you can really get some good radio filters, works wonders, especially with low quality voice recordings.

I think this one will be a winner. I cross my fingers hoping for more like this. Even at this beta stage it's better than 99% of the missions out there.

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

Jonstyle

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2002, 19:08:22 »
Could any of you please post it here?  Or send to my E-mail adress?  Thank you.  

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2002, 22:32:17 »
A. Sound at Beginning: In fact, the sound is cut out at the beginning; it just doesn't work for commands.  I think I can probably find a workaround if not a decent command.

B. Music: until I get the bugs out, sound and music aren't going to be in there.  The flute or something sounds like a pretty could idea.  Something soft and mellow (maybe two, three tones) before shellcam and the prepfire.

C. Sound: The hooks are in there for radio chatter (and MP).  I do plan on putting stuff in there.

D. Callsigns suck.  I'll have the helo extraction be a little clearer.

E. The last little attack on the LZ, I'll clean up so they attack with the rest of the group.

F. Your helo is the easternmost one.  I put an aircav skin on it to help you find it, but it disappears once the thing gets out of range.  I have scripting to allow you to board any helo, but once you're boarded, it doesn't check to see if you get out.  I also have the easternmost one take off as soon as you are on board (while the others are synched to peel off when loaded).  I'm thinking of fixing this by putting it back on automatic, and adding an action to do it manually.

G. ONce you board a vehicle without authorization, the "Get In" is an artifact of OFP, but one I certainly can fix with some scripting.

Thanks for the feedback folks.  Those who PM'd me, I'll do a little update, and get it out.

Dinger/Cfit

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2002, 00:27:21 »
dinger - as for the work around - there are 2 options

you can just cut the sound:

fademusic
fadesfx

etc

or do it the BIS way:

have the player in his own group at the start, then after ur mission intro then regroup to the squad.... works for me.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2002, 07:27:12 »
the mission starts with 0 fadesound 0.  It doesn't work.  Okay, group shenanigans, here we come!

Dinger

p.s. I'll get the latest build out to those who haven't seen it tonight.I may even put it up at the CoC website.

Dinger/Cfit

tsbardella

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2002, 23:42:45 »
I really enjoyed it, especially the intro and the landing at the LZ - very good, I have been waiting for this. It was really well done and beyond what I had expected.  I really like atmosphere in a mission, this was great.  By the way Dinger,  I enjoyed the work you did.

I just played it one time by the book.  I did not have any real problems running the game but it did get a bit confusing once in the jungle. we went up the hill fought a bit came down and back to the lz then went back up the hill I guess to finish off a group of NVA?  then I had trouble mounting the chopper there is only one side you can enter I could put weapons in the chopper but not board, eventually it landed and I was able to board.

Also I would like to suggest starting off from the SF base.  I was really interested in how you would populate that base.  I know I have spent hours making it look real myself.

very good job, thanks a lot.

The Avon Lady

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2002, 09:11:30 »
Yes, lots of real feeling atmosphere here. Gets creepy in the jungle when you see someone flashing through the folliage somewhere ahead of you.

I haven't successfully completed the mission (yet). I took out the two mortar positions and then retreat back and then up the hill to crawl back down again.

At some point I reached a terrace and stopped behind a palm. POP! On shot from about 40 meters away ended it for me.

When viewing the kill cutscene, it appears to me that the AI can see very well through Ia Drang's folliage. I've sensed this in other NamPack2 misions I've played. Reminds me of similar problems in early OFP versions.

SelectThis and Ebud, if you're reading, I'd be curious whether you think this is true or not.

BTW, if I try restarting the mission, it starts at the point in mid field where the commander normally issues the HOLD FIRE command, except that with RESTART the HOLD FIRE command isn't issued and the squad just stands there, as someone reported above.

Please let me know of any new revisions to the mission. Why don't you attach it to your first post in the thread instead of emailing it out all the time.

Jonstyle

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2002, 14:41:05 »
I still havent got it :-\ :'(

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2002, 18:48:00 »
It would be beter if you upload it in the beta corner of this site scroll down and upload it there m8 http://opflashpoint.org/betatest.php

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2002, 18:48:56 »
You can upload there missions that are not greater than 2MB m8

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2002, 09:54:29 »
Thanks for the offer BC.
Okay, here's the update:

A) I thought I got all the bugs out, then I came here and saw the "Hold Fire" bug.  That's weird, but it could explain a few things.  I changed the savegame point, but I'll go back and check that.

B) The reason I'm not uploading here is because the maximum attachment size allowed is 50kb, and the zip file is 52 kb, and hence over the limit.  I kinda forgot that I could put it over in the CoC forums, and will do that for the next version.

C) As far as I know, AI and foliage is a bit of a problem, even for stock OFP; the Ia Drang Valley map with all the vegetation magnifies this effect.  My understanding is that SEB NP tries to offset this by making the AI crappy shots at long range.  I do know they went through a ton of work on this.
Play this mission enough, and you'll also figure out which plants have hit LODs that don't line up. (Cf. the bamboo of doom)

D) I made the helos put their skids on the for boarding.

E) group shenanigans are in effect.  I also made sure to give the SP player the most dramatic view in the helo (in my opinion, of course).

F) I tweaked the cutscenes and reduced the flying camera usage.

G) Radio chatter is still not in, but I have something close to the text ("script") in there.  Tell me what you think.  If you're inspired and think you can take one of the roles, let me know.

H) Starting at the SF base: yeah, that would be cool, but I'm lazy, and ill-disposed to making the SF base fully operational.

I) "Get In" mortar.  I tried an EH on the mortars/MGs to take care of it, but no go.  Just follow your leader anyway.  besides, those pits could be boobytrapped.

J) I tweaked some of the timings to make the progression of the game "tighter"

K)OBjective Completed now works.

L)Briefing/Notes are fixed.

M)Jonstyle, is the email in your profile current?  I thought I sent tit out.

OKay, I'll post to this thread tomorrow when I make sure everything works and put up the (hopefully) final beta over on the CoC forum site (forum.thechainofcommand.net).  Thanks again for your help on this.

-Dinger
Dinger/Cfit

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2002, 22:26:14 »
Good catch on the "hanging around" thing.
I had the waypoints set to "Time", and evidently retry resets the clock, so they end up waiting a couple minutes after a retry.
It's fixed now.
Beta Version is at
forum.thechainofcommand.net
in the "Public Downloads" section.
Dinger/Cfit