Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Wooly Peter grenades and shells  (Read 3122 times)

tai mai shu

Wooly Peter grenades and shells
« on: 25 Aug 2002, 04:25:17 »
heres an idea, a white phosphurus grenade or tank shell that when detonated, makes a small explosion and using the "Drop" command, create white smokeing particles that fire out, and split into smaller pieces, like, 5 particles that split into 10, than 20, etc, and it should look those fireworks that are called "willow tree bursts" cuz they shoot up in an arc than fall back to the ground... and everything within a certain radius gains damage, and as and extra, they burst into flames (using the fire effect from resistance)

thatd be a really neat addon.

but as a note, realize that wooly pete isnt really an anti-personal device as it is a marking/masking device.

when calling in a fire mission that is "danger close" (ie.  so close to friendly forces that it poses a threat, usually 100 meters or less)  the radioman will always request "marking rounds", which is wooly pete.  the xtreme brightness and smoke created by the wooly pete serves as an excellent marking device, and is much more effective than smoke rounds, because it is visible during the night.

also, when you call in a "battlefield blackout" fire mission (smoke mission), modified wooly pete rounds are fired. the smoke shells are not full of standard smoke grenade composite (potassium nitrate and glucose), instead they contain 14 felt disks that are soaked in a white phosphurus solution.

Robbo

Re:Wooly Peter grenades and shells
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2002, 05:11:47 »
Hey Tai Mai Shu
The SAS Mod is currently desinging a phosphurous grenade, Still a few weeks away however.
A little info from Deliltmon: white phosphorus ignites at below body temperature so it keeps on burning, you could put it out by, for example sticking your hand in a bucket of water but as soon as it is exposed to air again it will start burning again, the only way to stop it is to cut it out. Which means these things hurt. it also will have the smokescreen and little 'fireworks' that can mark positions.
Theres some more info on it here http://b2zforum.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?board=New&action=display&num=1022986645
Robbo
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2002, 05:14:11 by Robbo »

RedDragon

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2002, 05:53:58 »
yes, how exactly are they making this grenade? i am really curious. ???
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2002, 05:54:20 by RedDragon »

Marsuitor

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2002, 05:58:26 »
Are canister rounds a possibility in OFP? Would be a nice addition to HE tank rounds...
Does current tank guns have/fire canister, BTW?
If not, someone should make a Sheridan addon with this nasty stuff IMO ;)

tai mai shu

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2002, 10:55:38 »
yeah, how come no one has made any tank smoke canisters??

i mean, its just another weapon they could addon?  how come its not done? does the ofp engine not allow a tank weapon to be offset/aiming straight or set off fromt eh barrel?

i mean, thatd be a cool option, firing off 4 smoke canisters to cover your assault/retreat, or how bout firing out some wooly pete to get rid of those damn pesky NVA satchel cadres, heheheh

yeah and to robbo, that white phosphurus is some nasty stuff, my dad was in vietnam, a forward observer with a special Ranger team, they went behind enemy lines (as if there were any  ::) ) and called in fire missions on enemy positions, and saw that stuff work its magic on his good friend charlie hehehe.

the wooly pete is also really great cuz its guaranteed to detonate, there is no "dud" sooly pete round, you only need to crack the casing of wooly petee rounds (their airtight) to detonate, as they ignite when it comes in contact with air, which also made it very reliable in teh humid conditions of Vietnam.

Marsuitor

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2002, 19:07:56 »
No, i wasn't thinking of smoke canisters there.  :)
I was referring to canister AP rounds, that is something like a "shotgun" round for a tank. Thousands of little darts that shoot out from the cannon, cutting down everything in it's path.
After the Sheridan light tank first used it in Vietnam, there was a 86 man body count in the area it had fired...

SEAL84

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:06:08 »
Oh yeah...Willy Peter is nasty stuff...it burns like hell.  Thing is those things have a bigger burst radius than a regular frag...so you'd better have some way of getting it damn far if you throw one.  

Sometimes they used WP rounds/grenades to destroy crashed choppers and such, since it can easily eat through aluminum.

tai mai shu

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:43:01 »
owee, the wooly pete in my opinion is WAY more effective in combat than a frag.  it doubles as a smoke grenade, and its  anti-personel effects are devastating.

its not likely to kill you, but in combat its almost better to wound the guy than to kill him.  a wounded soldier (especially a burning screaming one) is devastating to moral, and 1-2 enemy become tied up taking care f the guy or carying him.
when your hit by white phosphurous, some friend is gonna have to cut that stuff out or it is gonna burn into your vitals and kill you.  plus, a burn victim can cost the enemy a lot of money to fix up. ( i mean, thats wy the vietcong were so effective, their 5 dollar booby trap would cost us 10,000 to amputate the poor GI's leg...)

the combat engineers also have a compound similar to white phosphurous, called Thermalite.  it is a mixture of iron oxide and aluminum.  it requires a LOT of heat to touch off, so it has a magnesium fuse. when ignited, it burns to over 6000 degrees farhenhiet, this is bcause the oxyen atom in the iron oxide splits apart and joins the aluminum, this splitting creates IMMENSE heat energy.  trying to put this stuff out with water will create an explosion, because the heat will break down the water molecule, thus it gets pure oxygen and hydrogen!!! the perfect elements for an explosion.  an explosive thermalite charge will literally vaporize a downed chopper, and engineers will use it to blow welds on bridges etc. where high explosives are too dangerous, too conspicous, or if blowtorches are not available...

Schoeler

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:47:21 »
Actually, "Willy Pete" or white phosphorous is even nastier than you think.  I learned in Navy firefighting school that it will not extinguish even when it is immersed in water.  It burns so hot, that it generates its own oxygen and will burn under water.  It is however stored in water before ignition for the reasons previously stated, and also because it is nearly impossible to ignite something under water!  But once burning, this stuff doesn't stop until it burns itself out.  Nasty little weapon, and it is used all the time.

tai mai shu

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:48:21 »
No, i wasn't thinking of smoke canisters there.  :)
I was referring to canister AP rounds, that is something like a "shotgun" round for a tank. Thousands of little darts that shoot out from the cannon, cutting down everything in it's path.
After the Sheridan light tank first used it in Vietnam, there was a 86 man body count in the area it had fired...
oh ok, that stuff, ew, thats also very nasty.  the "beehive" rounds.  basically a 2 guage shotgun shell lol.

my dad (i quote my dad a lot hehe) was at a firebase in vietnam, when the base got attacked by an entire NVA satchel division (suicidal guys who carry satchels, or ladders, and try to infiltrate the cantina wire at fire bases, or sappers who crawl under the wire and usually blow up the artillery or barracks or guards throats etc.

well, there was a battery of m101a 120mm howitzers on base, so they actually LEVELED the barrel, and used it like a tank gun.  thy loaded up beehive rounds, which carried about 100 flechettes, and opened fire, damn those things are effective. not one NVA got thru the lines, and when the night was over, the guys had to clear out the bodies cuz they were stacked so high that they were blocking the fire lanes lol. ;D

tai mai shu

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:50:12 »
Actually, "Willy Pete" or white phosphorous is even nastier than you think.  I learned in Navy firefighting school that it will not extinguish even when it is immersed in water.  It burns so hot, that it generates its own oxygen and will burn under water.  It is however stored in water before ignition for the reasons previously stated, and also because it is nearly impossible to ignite something under water!  But once burning, this stuff doesn't stop until it burns itself out.  Nasty little weapon, and it is used all the time.

it doesnt even need to be ignited.  like Sodium when it touches water, white phosphurous will instantly ignite in contact with oxygen.  the wooly pete arty rounds dont even have a detonator, simply an explosive charge meant only to blow the casing apart.

yeah, it is effective in killing, but its deosnt have the kill percentage of lets say a frag.   usually the chunks of wooly pete arent big enuff to burn thru to something vital. ew, remember in "we were soldiers" where the machine gunner gets white phosphurous in his face??? and you can see his face glowing cuz its burning underneath the skin.  but the part where that japanese GI gets burned by napalm was even nastier.

jeez, no matter how gruesome combat is, i still dont think any soldier, us or them, should have to die that way. unless of course they are japanese soldiers are sumthin, theyve done so much gruesome stuff to people in their entire history.  they deserve it.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2002, 22:56:00 by tai mai shu »

blath

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2002, 19:21:09 »
no tai mai shu THEY havent, others from their country may have but they themselves dont deserve it any more than any other soldier

tai mai shu

« Reply #12 on: 01 Sep 2002, 06:10:03 »
lol i hope your being sarcastic.  the japanese military has done such atrocious things in their history of warfare.  jeez, just look at what they did to teh Chinese in the mandarin campaign.  300,000 civilians slaughtered in 2 weeks.  mass rape ranging from little babygirls to 80 year old woman.
or how about how theyn used people for bayonet practice, or the use of civilians and captured soldiers as guinea pigs for experimental weapons and torture techniques..

or what about the treatment of US pows. only 42 percent of our US POWS survived the japanese camps.  most of em could hardly even walk when they got out.

the history of japanese history is filled with countless events of extreme brutality and overall disregard to human life.

i myself, am of asian descent, being 100 percent korean. when the japanese invaded korea,  the japanese sluaghteresd peaceful protesters.  thousands were killed, and over 4000 injured. they crucified and tortured those who were christian.  htey also took woman prisoner, and sent them to the troops to be used as farmers during the day, and sex slaves during the night.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2002, 06:13:03 by tai mai shu »

Fishion

« Reply #13 on: 01 Sep 2002, 11:50:25 »
How about thermite Grenades?
Thermite is a mix of Al²O³, Fe and Al. When ignited it burns in
a fast reaktion releasing quite a lot of (heat) energy. Usually
very silent, and hot enough to melt steel (is used for infield
melting of Railroad rails). Was also used during the Normandy
(prior to D-Day) by Rangers to disable german long range
Guns. I can imagine SpecOps still use similar technology,
eventhough not very often.

-Fishion

blath

« Reply #14 on: 01 Sep 2002, 14:27:25 »
no i wasnt being sarcastic
i agree that stuff is atrocious and therefore the people who did it probably do deserve 2 die of WP, but as u say, those evil deeds were in the past
that dont make it ok, its jus not the current squadies' fault is it? i dont wanna b blamed 4 the slave trade, colonisation and every other bad thing people from my country ever did, and i dont expect 2 b blamed 4 them. this is the same

the people who commited the attrocities- evil
new, young soldiers- they didnt do it, probably werent alive during most of it, so it AINT THEIR FAULT!