Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Dispersion Function  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
Dispersion Function
« on: 21 Sep 2015, 00:13:05 »
This function can be used to force greater bullet dispersion from any weapon. This can be used in conjunction with other scripts to simulate a soldier losing accuracy due to fatigue, drunkenness or injury, or to simulate a weapon being damaged or worn out. The test mission folder includes the function and an example control script. The header in the function explains how to use the function. The included test mission sets the dispersion so that even the normally very accurate M21 sniper rifle is pretty much crap for hitting the target down range at 100 M.

Now with v. 1.2, if one uses  a range factor > 1, the overall spread will increase, but so too will the concentration of low dispersion shots.

Change Log:
v. 1.1, Sept. 25, 2015 - Now does true "conical" dispersion
v. 1.2, Sept. 27, 2015 - Now allows dispersion range factor > 1
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2015, 18:45:45 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline SoldierEPilot

• Members
Re: Dispersion Function
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2015, 21:11:42 »
Bullet distribution looks very unnatural -
see attached tests and pictures.

But, from another hand, this decision more handy then
previous works in the area of accuracy tweaking
(derivation scripts from FFUR mod,
 HD magazine versions from JAM_Magazines and @WW4).

Thanks 4 this research, you can do even better.

Offline SoldierEPilot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2015, 12:01:07 »
Practical accuracy measurement for CWA 1.99.

I've used a real-world method described here:
http://www.the-long-family.com/group_size_analysis.htm

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2015, 10:35:00 »
Yes, I did less than adequate testing. You will find (with the original version) that as the dispersion range factor approaches zero, the bullet paths will be further and further from the vertical and horizontal axes, and in fact, at zero range factor they will start to all miss the target at exactly (x,y), (x,-y), (-x,-y) or (-x,y) where x and y equal the mean dispersion. I am already working on a true conical dispersion algorithm. I have now improved it for true conical dispersion.

Version 1.1 now uploaded.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2015, 17:03:58 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline SoldierEPilot

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2015, 17:38:34 »
 :clap:

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2015, 18:33:02 »
If you like it now you will love v. 1.2 (just uploaded). You can effectively tighten the Gaussian distribution by setting the dispersion range factor a little greater than 1. Try your land mine scatter plot version with the M2 machine gun, a mean dispersion of 20 and a dispersion range factor of 1.5. Do it at night time to see the tracers! Make sure you first modify the <Disp Control.sqs> script to not do the hint message, because that will make you crazy with full auto fire.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2015, 18:46:15 by Raptorsaurus »