Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need some help with some random weapon scripts. [SOLVED]  (Read 1795 times)

Offline PivMan

• Members
To be simple, I'm trying to have a unit be given random weapons of a range of my choosing with probabilities of my choosing. I want this to be done through a simple execution of a script in the initialization field for each unit. Forgive the manner in which I attempted this, it was the first approach that came to mind. Prepare for if statements galore and unorganized syntax. Oh, and I'm using FFUR SLX 2007.

First off, I state that I want to execute weapon.sqs in the unit's init field. That works fine at least.

weapon.sqs:
Code: [Select]
canhaveprimary = random(100)+1; //random number that determines if the unit gets a primary
canhavepistol = random(100)+1; //random number that determines if the unit gets a secondary
canhaverpg = random(100)+1; //random number that determines if the unit gets an rpg
canhavefrag = random(100)+1; //random number that determines if the unit gets a grenade
canhavebomb = random(100)+1; //random number that determines if the unit gets a satchel charge
canhavesmoke = random(100)+1; //random number that determines if the unit gets a smoke grenade

if (canhaveprimary > 50) then {[] exec "primaryrandom.sqs"}; //50% chance to execute script to distribute a random primary
if (canhavepistol <= 25) then {[] exec "pistolrandom.sqs"}; //25% chance to execute script to distribute a random sidearm
if (canhaverpg <= 5) then [{this addweapon "rpglauncher"} , {this addmagazine "rpglauncher"}]; //5% chance to distribute an rpg
if (canhavefrag <= 10) then {this addmagazine "handgrenade"}; //10% chance to distribute a grenade
if (canhavebomb <= 5) then {this addmagazine "pipebomb"}; //5% chance to distribute a satchel charge
if (canhavesmoke <= 10) then {this addmagazine "ffur_anm8"}; //10% chance to distribute a smoke

From this script two others can be executed:

primaryrandom.sqs:

primarygun = random(202); //same crappy system as before, just bigger

if (primarygun <= 10) then [{this addweapon "G36a"} , {this addmagazine "G36amag"}];
if (primarygun > 10 and <= 20) then [{this addweapon "steyr"} , {this addmagazine "steyrmag"}];
if (primarygun > 20 and <= 30) then [{this addweapon "xms"} , {this addmagazine "m4"}];
if (primarygun > 30 and <= 40) then [{this addweapon "fal"} , {this addmagazine "falmag"}];
if (primarygun > 40 and <= 50) then [{this addweapon "hkg3"} , {this addmagazine "hkg3mag"}];
if (primarygun > 50 and <= 60) then [{this addweapon "ak74"} , {this addmagazine "ak74"}];
if (primarygun > 60 and <= 70) then [{this addweapon "ak74su"} , {this addmagazine "ak74"}];
if (primarygun > 70 and <= 80) then [{this addweapon "ak47"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"}];
if (primarygun > 80 and <= 90) then [{this addweapon "ak47cz"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"}];
if (primarygun > 90 and <= 100) then [{this addweapon "svddragunov"} , {this addmagazine "svddragunov"}];
if (primarygun > 100 and <= 110) then [{this addweapon "bizon"} , {this addmagazine "bizonmag"}];
if (primarygun > 110 and <= 120) then [{this addweapon "ak47s"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"}];
if (primarygun > 120 and <= 130) then [{this addweapon "xms2"} , {this addmagazine "m4"}];
if (primarygun > 130 and <= 140) then [{this addweapon "m16s"} , {this addmagazine "m4"}];
if (primarygun > 140 and <= 150) then [{this addweapon "m24"} , {this addmagazine "m24mag"}];
if (primarygun > 150 and <= 165) then [{this addweapon "huntingrifle"} , {this addmagazine "huntingriflemag"} , {this addmagazine "huntingriflemag"}];
if (primarygun > 165 and <= 180) then [{this addweapon "kozlice"} , {this addmagazine "kozliceball"} , {this addmagazine "kozliceshell"}];
if (primarygun > 180 and <= 187) then [{this addweapon "ak47grenadelauncher"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"} , {this addmagazine "grenadelauncher"}];
if (primarygun > 187 and <= 194) then [{this addweapon "ak74grenadelauncher"} , {this addmagazine "ak74"} , {this addmagazine

"grenadelauncher"}];
if (primarygun > 194 and <= 199) then [{this addweapon "mm1"} , {this addmagazine "mm1magazine"}];
if (primarygun == 200) then [{this addweapon "pk"} , {this addmagazine "pk"}];
if (primarygun == 201) then [{this addweapon "m60"} , {this addmagazine "m60"}];
if (primarygun >= 202) then [{this addweapon "m240g_elc"} , {this addmagazine "m240g_elcmag"}];

pistolrandom.sqs:

pistolgun = random(100);

if (pistolgun <= 10) then [{this addweapon "cz75"} , {this addmagazine "cz75mag"}];
if (pistolgun > 10 and <= 20) then [{this addweapon "tokarev"} , {this addmagazine "tokarevmag"}];
if (pistolgun > 20 and <= 30) then [{this addweapon "m1911"} , {this addmagazine "m1911mag"}];
if (pistolgun > 30 and <= 40) then [{this addweapon "p228"} , {this addmagazine "p228mag"}];
if (pistolgun > 40 and <= 50) then [{this addweapon "beretta"} , {this addmagazine "berettamag"}];
if (pistolgun > 50 and <= 60) then [{this addweapon "glock"} , {this addmagazine "glockmag"}];
if (pistolgun > 60 and <= 65) then [{this addweapon "skorpion"} , {this addmagazine "skorpionmag"}];
if (pistolgun > 65 and <= 70) then [{this addweapon "ingram"} , {this addmagazine "ingrammag"}];
if (pistolgun > 70 and <= 85) then [{this addweapon "revolver"} , {this addmagazine "revolvermag"}];
if (pistolgun >= 85) then [{this addweapon "p2a1"} , {this addmagazine "white_flare_mag"}];

The game is giving me an 'invalid number used in expression' error, which likely means there's a consistent error in every script. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2013, 04:32:14 by PivMan »

Offline Lenyoga

• Professor of Misanthropology
  • Members
Re: Need some help with some random weapon scripts.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2013, 20:32:09 »
Tried out the passage that should give the unit the handgun, and found the following error:

(pistolgun > 10 and <= 20)
This should be:

(pistolgun > 10 and pistolgun <= 20)
I didn't try the weapon.sqs one, though. I hope this resolves the problem.
As a grandmother I've got lots of gold.

Offline PivMan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2013, 20:34:26 »
Yep, consistent error throughout. Big thank you on identifying the silly mistake. I'll test it out and get back to you in a sec.

E: Okay, it looks like that was one of an unknown amount of problems. I patched the scripts, but it's still giving me an error message (one I can't frustratingly read in its entirety) and not giving my character any weapons. Could it be the way I reference the unit? Does 'this' still apply when executing scripts through other scripts?

weapon.sqs

canhaveprimary = random(100)+1;
canhavepistol = random(100)+1;
canhaverpg = random(100)+1;
canhavefrag = random(100)+1;
canhavebomb = random(100)+1;
canhavesmoke = random(100)+1;

if (canhaveprimary > 50) then {[] exec "primaryrandom.sqs"};
if (canhavepistol <= 25) then {[] exec "pistolrandom.sqs"};
if (canhaverpg <= 5) then [{this addweapon "rpglauncher"} , {this addmagazine "rpglauncher"}];
if (canhavefrag <= 10) then {this addmagazine "handgrenade"};
if (canhavebomb <= 5) then {this addmagazine "pipebomb"};
if (canhavesmoke <= 10) then {this addmagazine "ffur_anm8"};

primaryrandom.sqs

primarygun = random(202);

if (primarygun <= 10) then [{this addweapon "G36a"} , {this addmagazine "G36amag"}];
if (primarygun > 10 and primarygun <= 20) then [{this addweapon "steyr"} , {this addmagazine "steyrmag"}];
if (primarygun > 20 and primarygun <= 30) then [{this addweapon "xms"} , {this addmagazine "m4"}];
if (primarygun > 30 and primarygun <= 40) then [{this addweapon "fal"} , {this addmagazine "falmag"}];
if (primarygun > 40 and primarygun <= 50) then [{this addweapon "hkg3"} , {this addmagazine "hkg3mag"}];
if (primarygun > 50 and primarygun <= 60) then [{this addweapon "ak74"} , {this addmagazine "ak74"}];
if (primarygun > 60 and primarygun <= 70) then [{this addweapon "ak74su"} , {this addmagazine "ak74"}];
if (primarygun > 70 and primarygun <= 80) then [{this addweapon "ak47"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"}];
if (primarygun > 80 and primarygun <= 90) then [{this addweapon "ak47cz"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"}];
if (primarygun > 90 and primarygun <= 100) then [{this addweapon "svddragunov"} , {this addmagazine "svddragunov"}];
if (primarygun > 100 and primarygun <= 110) then [{this addweapon "bizon"} , {this addmagazine "bizonmag"}];
if (primarygun > 110 and primarygun <= 120) then [{this addweapon "ak47s"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"}];
if (primarygun > 120 and primarygun <= 130) then [{this addweapon "xms2"} , {this addmagazine "m4"}];
if (primarygun > 130 and primarygun <= 140) then [{this addweapon "m16s"} , {this addmagazine "m4"}];
if (primarygun > 140 and primarygun <= 150) then [{this addweapon "m24"} , {this addmagazine "m24mag"}];
if (primarygun > 150 and primarygun <= 165) then [{this addweapon "huntingrifle"} , {this addmagazine "huntingriflemag"} , {this addmagazine "huntingriflemag"}];
if (primarygun > 165 and primarygun <= 180) then [{this addweapon "kozlice"} , {this addmagazine "kozliceball"} , {this addmagazine "kozliceshell"}];
if (primarygun > 180 and primarygun <= 187) then [{this addweapon "ak47grenadelauncher"} , {this addmagazine "ak47"} , {this addmagazine "grenadelauncher"}];
if (primarygun > 187 and primarygun <= 194) then [{this addweapon "ak74grenadelauncher"} , {this addmagazine "ak74"} , {this addmagazine "grenadelauncher"}];
if (primarygun > 194 and primarygun <= 199) then [{this addweapon "mm1"} , {this addmagazine "mm1magazine"}];
if (primarygun == 200) then [{this addweapon "pk"} , {this addmagazine "pk"}];
if (primarygun == 201) then [{this addweapon "m60"} , {this addmagazine "m60"}];
if (primarygun >= 202) then [{this addweapon "m240g_elc"} , {this addmagazine "m240gmag"}];

pistolrandom.sqs

pistolgun = random(100);

if (pistolgun <= 10) then [{this addweapon "cz75"} , {this addmagazine "cz75mag"}];
if (pistolgun > 10 and pistolgun <= 20) then [{this addweapon "tokarev"} , {this addmagazine "tokarevmag"}];
if (pistolgun > 20 and pistolgun <= 30) then [{this addweapon "m1911"} , {this addmagazine "m1911mag"}];
if (pistolgun > 30 and pistolgun <= 40) then [{this addweapon "p228"} , {this addmagazine "p228mag"}];
if (pistolgun > 40 and pistolgun <= 50) then [{this addweapon "beretta"} , {this addmagazine "berettamag"}];
if (pistolgun > 50 and pistolgun <= 60) then [{this addweapon "glock"} , {this addmagazine "glockmag"}];
if (pistolgun > 60 and pistolgun <= 65) then [{this addweapon "skorpion"} , {this addmagazine "skorpionmag"}];
if (pistolgun > 65 and pistolgun <= 70) then [{this addweapon "ingram"} , {this addmagazine "ingrammag"}];
if (pistolgun > 70 and pistolgun <= 85) then [{this addweapon "revolver"} , {this addmagazine "revolvermag"}];
if (pistolgun >= 85) then [{this addweapon "p2a1"} , {this addmagazine "white_flare_mag"}];
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2013, 20:47:17 by PivMan »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2013, 23:22:52 »
It's been a long time since I last did any complex scripting. But to me it does seem like the problem lies with the way you reference a unit.

if (canhavesmoke <= 10) then {this addmagazine "ffur_anm8"};
'this' should probably be replaced with a local variable, such as _unit.

At the moment, 'this' does not equate to a unit at all.

At the start of the script, put this:

_unit = _this select 0
Then replace 'this' in your 'IF' commands with _unit.

Hopefully that will fix the problem, which seems to be consistent in the scripts.

EDIT: You can still call the script from the units' init field, but like this:

[this] exec "gimmeweapons.sqs"
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2013, 23:27:06 by Gruntage »
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2013, 23:50:14 »
Commented code below.

; randomised weapon loadout

; created 24 July 2013
; updated 24 July 2013

; @author PivMan
; @author bedges

; call script using
; this exec "weapons.sqs"
; in init of unit

; unit is passed to script as _this

; create an array containing all the required primary weapons with their magazines

_primary_weapons = [["G36a", "G36amag"], ["steyr", "steyrmag"], ["xms", "m4"], ["fal", "falmag"], ["hkg3", "hkg3mag"], ["ak74", "ak74"], ["ak74su", "ak74"], ["ak47", "ak47"], ["ak47cz", "ak47"], ["svddragunov", "svddragunov"], ["bizon", "bizonmag"], ["ak47s", "ak47"], ["xms2", "m4"], ["m16s", "m4"], ["m24", "m24mag"], ["huntingrifle", "huntingriflemag", "huntingriflemag"], ["kozlice", "kozliceball", "kozliceshell"], ["ak47grenadelauncher", "ak47", "grenadelauncher"], ["ak74grenadelauncher", "ak74", "grenadelauncher"], ["mm1", "mm1magazine"], ["pk", "pk"], ["m60", "m60"], ["m240g_elc", "m240gmag"]]

; create an array containing all the required sidearms with their magazines

_sidearms = [["cz75", "cz75mag"], ["tokarev", "tokarevmag"], ["m1911", "m1911mag"], ["p228", "p228mag"], ["beretta", "berettamag"], ["glock",  "glockmag"], ["skorpion", "skorpionmag"], ["ingram", "ingrammag"], ["revolver", "revolvermag"], ["p2a1", "white_flare_mag"]]

; should there be a primary weapon?

? (random 100 >= 50) : goto "primary"

#return_primary

; should there be a sidearm?

? (random 100 <= 25) : goto "pistol"

#return_pistol

; should there be a rocket launcher?

? (random 100 <= 50) : _this addmagazine "rpglauncher"; _this addweapon "rpglauncher"

; hand grenade?

? (random 100 <= 50) : _this addmagazine "handgrenade"

; satchel charge?

? (random 100 <= 50) : _this addmagazine "pipebomb"

; night vision?

? (random 100 <= 50) : _this addweapon "nvgoggles"

; don't forget the binoculars folks!

? (random 100 <= 50) : _this addweapon "binocular"

; whatever this is?

; ? (random 100 <= 50) : _this addmagazine "ffur_anm8"

; all done

exit

; choose a primary weapon at random

#primary

; use the total number of primary weapons in the array as the total

_r = random (count _primary_weapons)

; make it a whole number so we can use it as the array's index

_r = _r - (_r mod 1)

; select the part of the array at the random index

_weapon = _primary_weapons select _r

; the first element is the weapon, the second and third element the magazines
; we add the magazine first so that the weapon is automatically loaded when it's added

_this addmagazine (_weapon select 1)
_this addweapon (_weapon select 0)

; if there's more than one magazine listed in the selected array index, add it too

? (count _weapon > 2) : _this addmagazine (_weapon select 2)

; go back up to where we were in the script

goto "return_primary"

; choose a sidearm at random

#pistol

; use the total number of sidearms in the array as the total

_r = random (count _sidearms)

; make it a whole number so we can use it as the array's index

_r = _r - (_r mod 1)

; select the part of the array at the random index

_weapon = _sidearms select _r

; the first element is the weapon, the second and third element the magazines
; we add the magazine first so that the weapon is automatically loaded when it's added

_this addmagazine (_weapon select 1)
_this addweapon (_weapon select 0)

; go back up to where we were in the script

goto "return_pistol"

Tested and works fine. A few pointers:

• as Gruntage has mentioned, _local variables are better than global variables in most cases. Global variables take up more memory and you can eventually reach the maximum number, making saving a game basically impossible
  • calling separate scripts is a bit wasteful unless they fulfill a generic purpose which can be reused elsewhere. In this particular case it's more efficient to condense it into a single script as above, and use #markers to jump within the script
  • learn how to use arrays - they are incredibly handy
  • more generally, when you find yourself copy/pasting something over and over and only changing one small thing each time, chances are there's a simpler and more elegant solution. Remember: make the computer work for you, not the other way around. SkyNet is still a few years from now
  • housekeeping details like putting a date on your scripts can come in handy, especially to remind you after 3 years when you return to a script and cannot remember what the heck it does!

There are some useful resources you can look at for further information. Reading other people's scripts can help too.

Hope this helps. Good luck!  :good:

Offline PivMan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2013, 04:31:53 »
Solid copy, Bedges.

Thanks a ton both of you for taking the time to help me out with this. I really, really appreciate it. This mission has been in progress for days now and me and my friends can finally play it. Big thanks.

E: Oh, and the ffur_anm8 is the ANM8 smoke grenade. FFUR adds it as a hand thrown alternative to the standard launcher fired smoke shell.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2013, 04:35:33 by PivMan »