Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Light it up!  (Read 1510 times)

Offline |Scorpio|

• Members
Light it up!
« on: 06 Jul 2013, 18:07:51 »
Hello again my dear editor comrades!

I never thought I would ever edit any missions in OFP anymore, after Arma had published, but here I am, once again! OFP just isn't something you can just forget  ;)

Anyways, like in the previous time I'm having a dilemma. And like the name of this thread says, it is related to lights. And in this case, streetlights. Long story short, I have a night mission and as we know, even in the summer time, Nogova's nights are pretty dark and there is a certain village I want to light up. Sounds simple.

I tried to search solution from the older posts but all I could find was these two commands

this inflame true
and
switchlight "ON"

They kind of worked. But the light reached only half of the pole and on the second try my computer crashed. So, you have always had a solution to everything, I sure hope you have this time too!  :)

|Scorpio|

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
Re: Light it up!
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2013, 23:49:38 »
I know what you mean about OFP having that special something that makes you keep coming back to the game  :)

Anyway, about those lights.

The best way to light up any village would be to download a streetlamp addon. The editor upgrade has a few good ones. To light those up, you use the inflame command. The problem with addon streetlamps is that they are not as bright as the ones you find in, for example, Lipany. For cinematics you can setpos a headlight on top of the lightpole (the headlight object is very bright). The editor upgrade also has those.

When using those streetlamps you should place them sparingly; too many and you'll have a very annoying flicker.

The default lamps that are in place in certain villages are automatically controlled. The way you turn a lamp on or off is like this:

Code: [Select]
(object xxxxx) switchlight "ON"
Replace xxxxx with the object ID number of the streetlamp, and replace "ON" with off if you want to turn the light off, or "AUTO" if you want the light to be restored to its default setting.

You can't use inflame on the default lights. Think I remember my game crashing whenever I tried that.

Addon lights are your best bet

Hope that helps
Gruntage
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline |Scorpio|

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2013, 12:16:34 »
Nice to see that including me there is at least one lonely rider spendind time with this awesome game  :good:

But so, I downloaded both editor upgradeand that streetlamp addon and that solved mostly the problem, so thanks a lot!

But what you said about addon streetlamps and their is quite opposite for me. Because I made a comparison of addon streetlamp and Lipany streetlight and it was obvious that the addon streetlamp has 10x more light output than the Lipany lights. That really isn't a big problem, yet it is disturbing  :D (Also for the Lipany people who can't anymore sleep at nights)

Anyway, solving this helped quite much, so thank you once again!

|Scorpio|

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2013, 16:44:11 »
Hmm interesting, I wonder if it depends on graphics settings  :scratch:

The ones I used put as much light out as a fire object, and had the same flickering effect (which looks horrible if you have a lot of them).

Might experiment a little bit later if I have time  :)
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba