Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [Solved] How to make optics reticle maintain color even at night?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
I am trying to finish an old addon I started long ago and I am having a problem with the optics scope reticle. I have noticed that the BAS_M4EOTECH reticle maintains its red color no matter the time of day and even stays red when the NVgoggles are used. I've tryied to examine the BAS model for the EOTECH optics, but the ODOL to MLOD converter looses some model information when you convert. Both the geometry mass properties and some texture properties are lost when you save as MLOD (all textures revert to default settings of show shadow, merge textures, no Z bias and normal lighting. Anyway, I've been trying to change one lighting setting at a time, but still my red reticle becomes black at night and green when I put on NVgoggles. How did BAS make the reticle in the M4 EOTECH stay red even at night and when NVgoggles are used?
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2012, 06:32:06 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline Lenyoga

• Professor of Misanthropology
  • Members
Re: How to make optics reticle maintain color even at night?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2012, 00:47:04 »
Did you try setting it to "Shining"? I noticed the optics flash also maintains it's natural color, so maybe shining parts of the optics are displayed in normal color during NV.
As a grandmother I've got lots of gold.

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2012, 22:54:07 »
How does one set it to "Shining"? I do not see that option in any of the O2 face properties settings. I only see:
Enable Shadow, Enable Texture Merging; for Z bias there is: None, Low, Middle, and High; for lighting there is: Normal, Both Sides, Position, Flat, and Reversed (transparent). I imagine "shining" would be the setting I would want, but how? Maybe there is a newer version of O2 that includes that option?

Offline Lenyoga

• Professor of Misanthropology
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2012, 22:07:43 »
Sorry for my late answer - I did not see the reply. The dialogue field for those special properties appears when you press [SHIFT]+[E]

Also, it's possible that it's only possible in a newer version. If it doesn't work, you should look for a download.
As a grandmother I've got lots of gold.

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2012, 06:27:42 »
Lenyoga,

Thanks, it works!  :D
At first it did not work, but when I opened the p3d file with P3Dedit and then resaved it, it worked fine. Apparently, O2 has a problem where the "shining" flags are not maintained when saving. But P3Dedit corrects the shining flag when it saves. So, to some it up for any who have this same problem in the future: Select the face that needs to "shine", press [Shift] + [E] and set the Lighting properties to "shining", click on <apply>, save the file, then reopen the file with P3Dedit and resave the file as either MLOD or ODOL and the textures on the face will not be darkened at night and will not be "greened" by the NV goggles.

If anyone needs P3Dedit, you can get it here: http://tactical.nekromantix.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ofp:tools:p3dedit
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2012, 05:40:03 by Raptorsaurus »