Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Changing unit visibility to enemy  (Read 2029 times)

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
Changing unit visibility to enemy
« on: 01 Sep 2012, 16:59:07 »
Don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to change a unit's visibility to enemy dynamically. In a similar way to how a unit's stance can change his visibility.

Any such method?

Description: an addon that monitors a player's immediate area for trees, and if enough trees and slow enough, will drastically reduce the likelyhood of him being spotted.
I have the trees & speed logic (adapted from the birds logic in my Fire & Smoke addon) but aside from attaching a viewblock object to the player to hide him (which I don't want to do really unless no other option) I haven't seen a suitable command in the ArmA command list.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: Changing unit visibility to enemy
« Reply #1 on: 01 Sep 2012, 17:19:07 »
If only we had setKnowsAbout or something like that :( ...
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline F2kSel

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 01 Sep 2012, 21:21:11 »
I don't believe there is  way of reducing the the knowledge one unit knows about the other you can only increase it.

unit 1 reveal [unit2,4]   would be the maximum one unit can know about another.

Setting the value to 0 or -1 have no effect you have to wait for the game to reduce the knowledge at the default rate.

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2012, 22:47:25 »
OK we cannot reduce about the knowsAbout, but I was hoping to get a solution that made it unnecessary i.e. reducing the chance of the initial sighting in the first place. Perhaps it is whatever mechanism that reduces the sighting chances depending on stance?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2012, 17:15:46 »
I'm pretty sure this is not possible, unfortunately. :( I think it would be a pretty great feature myself with many different applications, but...yeah. AFAIK visibility is calculated from the camouflage (or somesuch) rating of the soldier in the config, which can be increased or decreased (ghillie-suited snipers have a higher camo rating, civilians lower. I believe); but again, not dynamically. If they had retained that one config-changing command they used in one of the betas, we might have had something, but since they didn't...

You could try messing about with setcaptive, see how it affects knowsabou? In a campaign environment, you could probably completely replace the spotted soldier with a new, identical soldier that you loadState and switchPlayer to - presumably the knowsAbout would disappear with the old soldier then too. But that's not a solution, really.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #5 on: 05 Sep 2012, 07:16:19 »
I would definitely try setcaptive with distance checks accompanied by speed, stance, and tree checks. You can then incorporate the new lineintersects command.