Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Helo random damage effect  (Read 2441 times)

Offline eegore

• Members
Helo random damage effect
« on: 24 Jul 2012, 17:11:18 »

Is it possible to create a sqs or sqf that runs on helicopters that spawn on a consistent server/mission?  This would include ACE for Main Rotor failure features.

We do pre-flight checks but they are pointless since the helicopters are never damaged so I was wondering if there was a way to create a random damage script that applied varying degrees of damage on the different components of a helo.

For instance once you start the engine the entire helo is %0 damaged but as it "warms up" the main rotor/fuesalage/tail rotor etc. can incur damage ( component setdamage .1 to .7 ) that either stays, or reverts back to %0 damage. 

The affect I am going for is a Pilot starts the engines and the HUD shows all green but over the span of 3 minutes the HUD will flicker Orange or Yellow and eventually settle to Zero damage (All Green) or a random range of damage to the helo.

This makes a pre-flight check and a warm up necessary so you arent in the air when you figure out the main rotor has setdamage .2

Any assistance here would be appreciated.

Offline Pirin

• Members
Re: Helo random damage effect
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:04:02 »
You could use the Engine event handler to run a script whenever the engine is turned on.  Maybe limit it be distance from the base so that restarts in the field won't break, or not!

Not sure about changing the HUD color or did you mean just assigning random damage and fixing it for the effect?

The first steps I guess would be to find which items can be damaged on each vehicle and decide how likely you want those to fail.

Take On Helicopters has a really nice preflight check and repair system.  I wonder if we'll get that in ArmA3?

Offline eegore

• Members
Re: Helo random damage effect
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2012, 13:56:39 »

I assume the HUD color will change on its own when the damage is assigned. 

For instance if the script randomly sets the tailrotor to .5 damage then the color on the HUD should change to yellow on its own right?