Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: set height of Module or GL  (Read 2754 times)

Offline eegore

• Members
set height of Module or GL
« on: 13 Jul 2012, 04:39:28 »

Ever since I got ahold of Medevac Module v0.99 beta 3 by goliath86 I have used the crap out of it for evacs or just plain use of AI helo activities.

The only problem I have now is that I really want to use it from the Nimitz addon but the "setPosASL" doesnt seem to work on Game Logics, or Modules.

If I place a Game Logic on land my extraction helo will spawn on land, never at the setpos height.  This of course prohibits me from elevating the helo and dropping it onto an LHD or Carrier.

Any ideas on what to do? 

I thought about trying to script the medevac actions but its way beyond my capabilities. 

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
Re: set height of Module or GL
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2012, 22:54:14 »
I'm not sure I understood your problem... let me try to describe it:

You are using some medevac module. This modules usually spawns choppers spawn at ground level. However things change when the modules is placed on some custom ship: ground level becomes sea level so the chopper spawns below deck which is not what you want.

If this is correct then having a link to the medevac module would be nice. This would allow us to have a look at the source and see what's actually going on.
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2012, 22:08:33 »

Its located on armaholic:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9557

Or search for medevac module on the site.

Your assessment is correct, if I use a Game Logic to get the helo to spawn and return to base it will spawn underwater.  I would like to get it to spawn high enough to depart or land on an LHD or Nimitz addon.

CH53 or CH47 evacs would be great if you get my drift.

Thanks for checking it out.

Offline F2kSel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2012, 17:55:25 »
I've not checked the script but heli pads can be placed using a height variable so you could try spawning on those instead of gamelogics.

If you use any of the pads with graphics they still show on the ground but the pad it's self will be in the air.

It's possible that the script doesn't even use the height of the logic or whatever but just spawns at terrain level in which case you'll need to look into the script and fix it.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2012, 17:57:52 by F2kSel »

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2012, 05:10:54 »
  I do believe the script spawns at terrain level but I dont know enough about them to figure out where/how to alter it.  I will try to figure that out though.

UPDATE: No luck on seeing the script.  I get an EEFFACE error when trying to de-pbo the module. 

The helo doesnt spawn on a helipad but wherever a game logic that is synchronized to a player is.  I will however try to see if I can get a synched helipad to work. 

UPDATE: No luck there either.  It is linked to Game Logics and not other objects.

Thanks for the ideas.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2012, 08:00:56 by eegore »

Offline F2kSel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2012, 21:56:39 »
There is one other way that may work, I've used it a few time to put objects on buildings.

Place a trigger over the gamelogic.

set it's size to 4 by 4

anyone present

on act
Code: [Select]
(thislist select 0)  setpos getpos thistrigger
With it spawning under water it could be damaged.

If that fail try spawning on land the use a trigger to find it and teleport it to the ship.

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2012, 14:53:19 »

Since I dont place the helo in the editor I cant put a domoveATL (I think thats it) to a new location.  The helo is spawned by the Module at the Game Logic. 

I think the only way is to somehow extract the Module files and see if theres a way to provide a heigth option.  I unfortunately don't have the tools or knowledge but its not huge deal, I can just stick to land based FOBs and not use ships.

Offline F2kSel

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2012, 22:21:19 »
I just tested it and I did get it to work and as I suggested the trigger trick works.

This is how I did it from a working version.

Place your gamelogic over the ship.

Place a trigger over the ship and over the gamelogic
set as follows
size 11 x 11
BLUFOR  present  repeating

on act
(thislist select 0) setpos getpos thistrigger;

The heli now spawns on the deck and returns to the ship, you will need to be accurate for the return.
Maybe placing a heli pad at height would help.

I find the module too buggy,  It throws up an error every time I use it and if it gets destroyed it never respawns.

Changing the script would be a challenge as he uses a marker for location and he uses it an awful lot. To change that would be pain.

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2012, 22:24:05 by F2kSel »

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:01:26 »

Well it worked on the Nimitz but not on the LHD part of the time for some reason.  Thats ok though, the Nim has a larger deck.

How does the trigger make the unit spawn above water?  I would have never thought of that, especially since no height command is entered.

I have had a few issues with the module primarily the helo being damaged every time it lands at the point of origin, but it does repair after a while. 

I dont use it with ACE so maybe there are further issues when doing that, but as far as having a simple way to get picked up by a helo this has been the easiest. 

If you know of a better module or script etc. please let me know. 

And thank you for testing it. 

Offline F2kSel

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:28:03 »
Yea I don't know why the trigger does it, I found it by accident but it can be very helpful when placing objects on roofs. It seems to look for the best place to place the trigger.

Once you find the chopper you could do other things to it.

(thislist select 0) allowdamage false  ect.  

I don't think it works with a spawned trigger either for some reason.